3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve Bow Length  (Read 610 times)

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve Bow Length
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
With a 28 inch draw length and assuming all else being equal, do you think there is a significant difference in the overall performance and shooting qualities of a 60 inch recurve vs. a 62 inch recurve?
Greg

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve Bow Length
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
What do you mean by "performance"?  What "qualities" are you looking to maximize?  Weight?  Speed?  Noise?  Hand-shock?

The length of the bow does not add or detract from speed.  The finger pinch will be less with a longer bow, but different models and riser lengths make as much difference.

I draw 29-1/2" and the bow I am using this year (and like very much) is a 58" AMO.  I have 60" and 62" I also like.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
I doubt that you would notice a difference .
The only thing that could make a difference would be material and design.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 12:23:00 AM »
By performance, I mean primarily speed. I have read that longer bows are easier to draw and do not stack as much as shorter bows. Those are characteristics that I had in mind when I referred to shooting qualities. As you mentioned, I have read about less finger pinch with longer bows. If there is not a loss in speed (performance), than it seems that the benefits in these shooting qualities come without a trade-off other than maneuverability in tight shooting conditions. Also, I can certainly see where there would be a big difference between a 52 inch bow and a 60 inch bow, but I don't know if the two inches between 60 and 62 would make a noticeable difference. What say you?
Greg

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:52:00 AM »
With a 28 inch draw no significant difference.I would not expect most 60 inch curves to stack and I don't think finger pinch is much of a problem.Unless you have really big fingers that spread out over the string really wide.If thiers no stack the bow should feel smooth regardless of length.

If you had a 60 inch bow and 62 incher from the same maker with the same riser length you might get more speed from the 60 inch bow as you would be pulling them a little farther and working them a bit more.

Bottom line I would not really be too concerned about the 60 vs the 62 at your draw length.Test the 2 lengths in the same model bow and see which one you prefer.

I have owned quite a few curves in 60 and 62.I draw longer than you.An example would be a 60 inch and 62 inch Black Widow PTF.I did not feel their was much difference between the 2 lengths in overall shooting qualities or performance.

28 inches is a nice overall draw length for recurves bows at that length.Both are long enough,smooth enough and finger pinch should be negligable.I might lean toward the 60"

Sometimes its nice to have the shorter bow for hunting and limb clearance in different hunting situations.Ground blinds,knarly trees,stillhunting etc.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 05:25:00 AM »
My own experience is that I'm more accurate with a longer bow, so I would choose the 62". On the other hand, you could be cursing me the first time you hit a limb tip against a branch that you wouldn't have hit with the 60".
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 07:15:00 AM »
You will find more difference in how different brands of bows perform than you will length in one brand of bow in my opinion. Some bows just have a little smoother draw, some more speed. I haven't seen much difference at all in characteristics of a bow when going 2" shorter or longer. I shoot 60"-62" bows exclusively except for turkey in a blind I have a 54", If you had a 32" draw that's a different story. Again just my opinion.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Anytime I ordered a custom, and had a choice, I always leaned toward the longer bow, be it a recurve or longbow.

All else being equal a longer bow has a smoother feel in draw and recoil. An extra inch on each end won't mean a thing navigating through the woods.

I am not a fan of bows shorter than 58". I shot a Kodiak Magnum yesterday and politely handed it back to the owner.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
I have a 30 inch draw and a large number of my bows are 60 inches...I may shoot a 62 inch bow a bit better...not enough to really matter though

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
I have a 30 inch draw and a large number of my bows are 60 inches...I may shoot a 62 inch bow a bit better...not enough to really matter though

DDave
Will agree here.  Every bow is different, but I draw 29.5", and my Silvertip handles it perfectly.  I don't see much improvement in accuracy with the 62" bow, but even 2" makes a difference for me in limb clearance in a blind, and to a lesser extent in a treestand.  Any gains in performance will likely be of no consequence.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©