3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making broadhead adapters from fieldpoints?  (Read 759 times)

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Making broadhead adapters from fieldpoints?
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
anyone have experience making a heavy broadhead adapter out of a turned down field point?  I am trying to get a 400g BH and field point as well.

I need about a 200g adapter.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making broadhead adapters from fieldpoints?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Changing your components will help.  I have 400gr. up front.  100 grain brass insert plus 75 grain steel adapter and 235 grain Grizzly Kodiak.  For field use a 300 gr. field point.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
Another option. My 250 grn VPA glue ons plus a 100 grn thread adapter weigh 348 grn.  I glue 190 grn field points to woodie weights and thread adapters and put the assemblies in the lathe and turn them down at the point until they're the same as the broadhead combos - 348 grn. Looks like this:

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
If you have a lathe available to you , just make the whole adapter insert all in one . Start out big and work your way back until you get the weight you are looking for . Then just make the rest the same .
I do that with my aluminum arrows . I make broadhead adapters that just glue in and I also glue on file points to that so I have matched weight for broadheads as well .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
I have a drill press, would that work? Or could I somehow Jig a mill file to the drill press to put a 5 degree taper on the field points?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
are you trying to save money..if not buy "woody weights " they are great and come in different weights and are not overly expensive...I have used them for wood spine adjustment and just to get a heavier arrow...they work fantasic...i think you can buy them from a few stores on the net...three rivers I think and a few others..maybe even direct from the manufacturer...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
they go from 75,100,125,150,175,200 grains ..are machined very well and just under a dollar each..

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
here is a deer i took with a cedar and woody weight on the front..to use on an all wood bamboo backed bow that had no shelf....I increased the spine by adding 200 grain woody weight to get good flight ..flew like a dart

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
If you are making your own because you like DIY I apologize but here they are if you are interested

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Woody weights would solve all my problems but its an extra glue joint and an extra expense, although no more than brass inserts.

It just seems those field points would really be the ticket If I could find a way to accurately taper them.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
"I have a drill press, would that work?"

I think a disk grinder (or bench grinder) and a file would make short work of it.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
I'd  be adding lead into all the hollow spaces, adds weight in a hurry.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Thats a good idea,  I wonder how much lead a feller could put in the end of a 190g field point and 100 or 125 grain adapter.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
Awesome buck btw Trubletrubl
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
Yep. Took my 145gr field tips to my grinder, got them to fit in the head just right, and glued them. Killed a doe with them a couple weeks ago.  Worked just fine.  I had ordered adapters, but they don't fit even when multiple people said they would.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Chuck the field point into a high speed drill and taper it against a bench grinder.  A file will work but it's a bit slow.  It might be difficult getting the correct angle on them.

I haven't used the woody weights, but had a look at them at RMSG.  They look like a good solution. I don't see what the difference would be between the field point and the woody weight unless you are talking screw in field points??

I don't shoot much aluminum or carbon but there seems to be a whole lot of options for front weighting them.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
I thought the woody weights were a buck each, turns out they are more like 2 bucks each.

2 dollar woody weight and then the 1 dollar adapter... I might as well buy the high dollar adapters from tuffhead at that rate and just be done with it.

Havent had a chance to go to the shop to try grinding these field points down. I have a couple ideas for a jigs and grinding methods. I'm not sure how safe all of them will be but I will let you guys know what I am able to come up with.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
I tried stuffing the hollow spots in the adapters and field points with tungsten putty I had from fishing.  I could get about 30 grains worth in the 100gn adapter and about 6 grains worth in the 125gn adapter... either way 130gn..  thats not enough

I couldnt get much at all in the field point and still have room for the adapters.  

On to the next experiment....
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »
good luck with the homemade tip...I envy people who have the skill to make archery equipment...

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I use lead shot inside some broadheads, I have a piece of foam that I  put on a small scale then set the scale to zero,  that holds the broad head which i then drop shot inside till I get to the right weight, then put a drop of epoxy..

now I cut back on my wood arrow taper and dry fit  it into the broadhead before hot melting.

this is just a DIY way of getting some heads up to 250gr,,,, not sure how heavy you can actually make them but I do know that the short tapered wood arrow hot melted inside doesn't fail,,

I was worried at first about cutting back the tapers but it doesn't effect anything.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©