3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder Replacement -- my story - SUCCESS  (Read 4846 times)

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder Replacement -- my story - SUCCESS
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
Sounds like you're doing well hope everything works out for you!

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 06:42:00 AM »
Congrats Joe, that's great to hear.  I'll admit that I was a bit of a skeptic when I first read this post.  The population in the subset of "folks I know who have had full shoulder replacements and come back to do anything near shooting a traditional bow"....is now exactly one, you! It's nice to hear a good success story.  I had a knee replacement over two years ago, which isn't fun but not near as dicey as a shoulder.  I was the poster child for the recovery and rehab according to my surgeon, but the pain never got better than equivalent to a moderate sprain.  I'm not complaining.  It's better than it was and I can climb trees....albeit not like a squirrel any more.  I've also had a hip since and it's a piece of cake. Go get 'em and good luck!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
Good to hear! g'luck at WT and up north.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. I shot again this morning -- about 12 shots. And, everything feels good. I really took my time between shots to make sure I was doing everything right and concentrating on the feedback my body was giving. So far so good.

Next I go do my rehab exercise routine. That takes a while to get all of the exercises done.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Great news, Joe!!!

Bisch

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks for including us in this journey/recovery.  That is a bitchin scar and worthy of tank tops and a great story for the wondering masses.   Roll back into shooting slowly and not violate the good that has been done.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Great to hear your doing so well!  Ive been putting off the same surgery and even switched to shooting lefty.  Thanks smooch for this thread.  jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks so much for this thread!!! This gives me so much hope.
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
Congrats on your recovery! I'm glad it went well for you. I'm on day 4 of my 12 week recovery. As bad as I'm hurting I still feel better than pre-surgery. Reading your recovery keeps me motivated to do my part to keep on track. I'll be ready in time for turkey season with a new longbow, so that gives me something to look forward to.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
JakeD:
No matter what you do, do not get discouraged. Do the rehab exercises as prescribed and don't worry if they cause some pain.

In about two months you will start to feel like it has all been worth it and you will know that you are getting close to being able to move pretty well again.

Please be constant about using ice. It will reduce the swelling and that will let new blood and nutrients into the area to aid in healing.

You may feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

And, take your pain medications as directed. It is very important for the recovery that you stay in front of the pain and don't let it build momentum.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
jr1959:
I was just talking to a doctor today who said that he thinks it is a mistake to put off surgery. It is his opinion that going into the surgery with good muscle strength helps the recovery. That is because you will have some muscle loss no matter what you do, but once the muscles can start to fire again you will be starting off at a better place for recovery. After going through this shoulder replacement (and a previous knee replacement and hip replacement) I do believe the doctor is right.
I wish you well no matter what you decide to do.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks Joe ill look into it.  I work construction and have no paid time off and was hoping to put off for 4 years when I retire.  Strength is ok according to doc, but I'm bone on bone with spurs.  Keep the updates coming and good luck.  jim
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
Joe: is your repaired shoulder your bow arm or string arm?

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Lost Arra:
It is my string arm....
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Following this thread closely.
I have an appointment with a shoulder surgeon in mid-February. Not sure what's wrong just sure it's not right. Very reassuring to see your progress and I hope it continues for you.
Thank you for putting this out there for the rest of us.

John
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »
jcp161:
I wish you the best. I had three shoulder surgeries over the years before the replacement. Shoulder surgeries are not fun, but they are sometimes necessary.

My advice is that if you are headed for an eventual shoulder replacement, don't put it off, just get it done. The sooner you get through the surgery the sooner you will be able to recover and get on with your life.

My shoulder is already much better than before the replacement surgery and it is going to continue to improve. I am very optimistic about the long term outlook. I am already able to shoot my bow, and I expect to be using my fly rod in the spring.

I wish you well. And please feel free to email me or PM me if you have questions or need encouragement.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
Today's update is that I have been released from physical therapy. That means that I have no more PT visits scheduled, though I do have exercises to do and more stretching and strengthening to do.

I have an appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday, and I expect to be released there as well.

At this point I can comfortably handle a 43# at 29" bow, and I will need to stay at or around that weight to make sure I don't over stress the shoulder implant. I am OK with that. Of course, I am reading and studying up on ways to maximize the effectiveness of that bow, like increasing FOC and so forth.

I had Jim Neaves build me a custom Centaur Triple Carbon Elite that is 43# at 29". I have it now and it is very fast, very quiet and not bad to look at too.  I have tuned it for an 11.5 GPP arrow, and it delivers that arrow with real authority and impressive speed. I am looking at developing a 12+ GPP arrow as well with FOC of over 20% -- I have a prototype that I am messing with. I can only imagine how fast it will be for 3-D shooting with a 10 GPP arrow, but I do want to stay near or above 500 gr. for a big game arrow.

I will post again after I see the surgeon on Tuesday.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Great story Joe .... congrats on the new bow as well as your new shoulder, my neighbor is getting hers replaced this summer and I have told her about your posts and follow along. Gives folks hope on a better future with new body parts.     :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:    

Growing old ain't for sissies
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
I just had my final visit with the surgeon yesterday. I have been released from treatment. The shoulder replacement is a success. I can shoot a hunting weight bow, and the restrictions are only limited by common sense about not abusing my shoulder.

So, no heavy bench presses at the gym, but I can work out with lighter weights. That's OK with me. At 68 I don't need to be lifting heavy weights, just enough to keep fit and reasonably strong.

The surgeon said that the prosthetic joints they put in these days are so advanced that success is the likely outcome of the replacement surgery.

I am a happy bowhunter.

:goldtooth:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Glad your recovery is going well.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©