3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear issues....  (Read 455 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear issues....
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Recently, bears in the area are going nuts. Garbage is torn apart, bird feeders wrecked. I have had three sightings in the last two nights. Once it was up in one of my apple trees, then last night it hit the garbage, twice, and the bird feeders....both of which are up on the deck. I feel I should say garbage is picked up at about 4 am Saturday mornings, which is why it was out there.
I am hoping to get a shot at this guy in the woods sometime. I figured I would post a few questions so as to better my chances.
Any scents that work to bring one in? I live in a no bait state.
Would tree stands be better, or would trying to spot and stalk be better? I live in a hilly area, lots of thick stuff, swamps, high ridges loaded with mast crops.
What am I looking for to key in on and/or set up on?
Would any calls happen to work in the fall? I know a fawn bleat in the spring will work...
Now as for the bear. I would say he is between 3-5 years old....maybe older. I would guess he is around 300# judging his size compared to my gas grill. I know its the same bear due to the apples in his scat which he left all over the yard, driveway, etc. Three hefty piles roughly the diameter of a soda/beer can. I also know there are more bears around, like the beast I saw last year that was bigger than the mounts at the local Gander Mountain, there is also a sow with triplets...
Any hints, suggestions or experience you can throw my way would be helpful in regards to hunting this dude. I have already made arrangements to remove the garbage daily, and will stop putting out seed for the birds. Thanks in advance.  :archer:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear issues....
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
First- I am really concerned about using fawn bleat calls and preditor calls on bears. It works; but it works on sows.  I have seen sows abandon their cubs and come a running. I think it is not a good practice in the spring at all; and not a good practice in the fall where bears need to keep their cubs close for more than one summer.

I would check to make sure scents are legal first.                                        

Then - if you find your bear coming into apple trees; find a well used trail; and take a bottle of applejuice from the store; and dump it on the ground where you want the bear to stop. You don't need to bait him in with scents; just be where he frequents; and set him up for a shot.

When I bait - I put out a scent to attract bears to the bait. Everytime I put a bait out.
 I have found that 'anise'( a baking ingredient) is excellent; but expensive. The alternative is 'liquid smoke'; found in most grocery stores. I use half a bottle at a time. Shake it on the trees up to about 6 feet.

Treestands work very well; but so do ground blinds; from pop-up ones to simply finding a good spot and putting a chair near it downwind and shooting at ground level. The first time you fool a bear is the best time.  The chair is best if it is comfortable; and has no arms on it- so you can draw more easily. Practice from one. I like the three legged chairs for blinds best.

If the scat is the diameter of a popcan; the bear is probably much older than 5 or 6 years; its probably a really big and old bear.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Make sure to use a good cover scent on yourself! (that doesn't smell like food!)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
So far the only place I know he frequents is my yard...I have a large stand of oaks behind my house that I hunt quite a bit, and found some torn up stumps yesterday. No tracks or anything though.
I saw the bear face to face last night from about three feet. Unless there were two hitting the yard in one night, which is very possible, I know the one I saw isnt that big. Maybe 250-300#.
As far as practicing...If I am within 20 yards I am good to go. I shoot all year long atleast four times a week, from all positions.
I think I have some liquid smoke. Never would have thought of that one...I will give it a shot.
So basically, I need to find where he hangs out, set up a blind or a stand, and make it smell good for him huh? Keep it coming guys...I have never hunted bears before, and would love to have a bear as my third ever trad kill....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things from close friends who use a 50/50 mixture of anise and vanilla extract as an attractant...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Jamie, a 300# Blackie is pretty darn big believe it or not. I have seen several that go that big and that is a nice bear in any area. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
yep- there was a 125 pound boar that made book up here. any bear that is close to 300 - is a big bear !

Don't make a big area of scent; make a small spot of concentrated scent. The bear will be walking downwind unless you dig out a spot the size of a popcan and pour your attractant into it- preferably on a trail. That means the bear is less likely to smell it from a distance and walk downwind; and more like to stumble on it and stop to check it out ( zzzzinng - dead bear).
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
You NY boys don't have to have bear tags? Sheesh, I'm jealous. I see bears all the time, but getting a tag in WI is a long and costly process.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
hey Jamie, figure out where he dens and we'll get about 50 guys to surround him come bunnie season!       :archer:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Lol Brent.50 judo-tipped arrows might upset him. Shawn, believe it or not, this one is small compared to the one I saw last year....still a shooter but nowhere close to the tank from last year.
Bamboo, we get a tag every year with out Big Game lisence....sorry.
I got out there and checked the scat closely. Apples and acorns. I have three different stands set up with in shooting distance of numerous white oaks. Think playing the wind will bring him out if I can find something he finds appetizing. I then took a quick walk out back and found some real low trails...tunnels would be a better word. Im getting excited now..
Chris, I migt give that a shot. Thanks.
                         -Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Hey Jamie, Try a Little vanilla extract. Any animal with a nose like vanilla.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I left ya another PM. In the next two days if ya get the right wind, call me I will do a sit with ya! I would guess a Northwest would be good and a direct North better. Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Back at ya Shawn. Tomorrow is no good as I have family coming in to ogle the baby. Monday maybe...
Jim, thanks bud. I have used vamilla-killa with good success in the past. Didnt know if it would work for yogie. Nice deer btw...
As of two minutes ago, no bear yet. He has been a showing up around 10:30...lol.
                         -Jamie

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Jamie, I sent ya a PM.....   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
we get a tag every year with out Big Game lisence....sorry
Don't be sorry, that's pretty cool. Hope you bag that bruin.  :archer:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Update:
A rather large sow brought her three cubs in last night. I asked my brother for his turkey wings....he brought over the skin, legs, wings, guts, head. Needless to say, he left it on the deck and we all sort of forgot about it. The bears found it, and made short work of it. I heard a noise, opened the back door, and was literally two feet away from a momma with three big and pudgy cubs. I have yet to see one from the stand.
                         -Jamie

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
BEAR SCENTS

www.bearscents.com
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©