3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Obtaining Permission from Landowners  (Read 653 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Obtaining Permission from Landowners
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Over the past 15 or so years that I have been a bowhunter I have been fortunate enough to have been able to hunt some very nice private land that my family had permission to hunt for many many years. I really had no reason to hunt any other land due to the fact that there was so much area to hunt on this particular property. Well recently due to a disagreement between members of the family that own the property we had hunted, my family is no longer welcome to hunt there.

This is very disappointing and sad but it's part of hunting I guess. So lately I have been trying to find out who owns some of the neighboring properties around my house and also trying to figure out how I am going to ask these landowners if they will grant me permission to hunt. Here in Ohio we are required to have landowners fill out a permission form.

I have never been real comfortable or good at asking permission for things like this. So I guess I'm wondering how you guys ask, what is your game plan when approaching a landowner. Do you just go door knocking? Or do you find phone numbers. So far my search hasn't been successful as locating who owns certain properties and what not has been a challenge. Help me out if you guys can, or share some stories or both. Thanks fellas    :thumbsup:

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Obtaining Permission from Landowners
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
I know you can't help the timing,but it's better to start earlier in the year. Do not wear camouflage,be polite and lay it out there. They can only say yes or no!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Craig absolutely, I plan to start looking and asking more in the Spring after the season. I really would not be even considering this but we were basically forced off the old property this previous weekend. I can't help but think about trying to get permission now with the rut kicking in high gear. And I still have not been able to bring myself to hunt public land. The good thing at least is maybe now I will have even more options than before, or hopefully.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
Buckeye, sent you a note to your .edu addy and it kicked back instantly as NO SUCH...sorry.  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by mec lineman:
I know you can't help the timing,but it's better to start earlier in the year. Do not wear camouflage,be polite and lay it out there. They can only say yes or no!
It doesn't hurt to be prepared to offer a access fee of some type either? If you like the area you can ask again next year and the access fee tends to be cheaper than a full fledged lease. If they ask to lease is just say you aren't interested in a lease if you aren't
Paying a couple bills with a small access fee can look pretty good!

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Doc I have not updated that. If you don't mind sending it again please try [email protected]  Thanks.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
You would be surprised how much further you get if you go meet them face to face looking clean cut and presentable.  You may be the nicest most honest guy in the world,  but if you show up looking scruffy, it sets a bad impression right from the get go.  As mentioned above, leave the camo at home.  Drive up in a nice vehicle,  be overly polite, no foul language, even minor stuff like hell and damn..etc and really emphasize how much you will respect their land and follow any rules they have.  Let them know it will be just you,  you won't be bringing your buddies and other family members.  And if you get refused, still be polite and thank them for their time.  I have actually had them change their mind when I was understanding about their reasons for not allowing me to hunt. - "I totally understand, I would feel the same way if other hunters had littered on my property and left gates open..sorry that happened to you"
But also, be prepared for flat out NO!  If a piece of land looks good, you probably aren't the first one asking for permission.  They may be fed up with people asking,  or in some cases they just aren't a very nice person.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
You would be surprised how much further you get if you go meet them face to face looking clean cut and presentable.  You may be the nicest most honest guy in the world,  but if you show up looking scruffy, it sets a bad impression right from the get go.  As mentioned above, leave the camo at home.  Drive up in a nice vehicle,  be overly polite, no foul language, even minor stuff like hell and damn..etc and really emphasize how much you will respect their land and follow any rules they have.  Let them know it will be just you,  you won't be bringing your buddies and other family members.  And if you get refused, still be polite and thank them for their time.  I have actually had them change their mind when I was understanding about their reasons for not allowing me to hunt. - "I totally understand, I would feel the same way if other hunters had littered on my property and left gates open..sorry that happened to you"
But also, be prepared for flat out NO!  If a piece of land looks good, you probably aren't the first one asking for permission.  They may be fed up with people asking,  or in some cases they just aren't a very nice person.
What Burnsie said. Being a landowner myself I can echo his comments 100%. NEVER call on the phone and ALWAYS show up, look and act like a gentleman and if the landowner says no, thank him and politely ask if he knows any other landowner  that might grant you permission. Just being polite goes a long way.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
and bring a kid with you!  ;)

I cant imagine that its going to be easy to get permission to hunt deer.

Ducks or geese that are decimating crops is one thing...(i've had good luck there).

But deer is a whole nother ball game.

You may try getting your foot in the door with small game in the off season...squirrels, rabbits etc... or coyotes.

Maybe set a good precedent and show that you are willing to help on the farm.

One thing you can do is get the onx hunt app or a platt map and learn who owns what.

All I can say is good luck!!!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
What part of Southeastern Ohio?  I might could help.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
First, go to the county court house and buy a Platt Book showing names of all landowners.  Don't call, go visit at a time when you figure you might not inconvenience them.  I always had good luck wearing a John Deere or seed company hat.  As others have said, no camo, just you in presentable clothes.  In addition to whatever permission slip the state might require I used to make up my own with all my contact info on it and even offered to give them a picture of my vehicle.  Sometimes none of this will work but sometimes it will.  When I used to go out for permissions I never knew if it was going to be 15 minutes or the farmer wanted to talk and it would be an hour and half.  If the later, it would usually mean permission was granted.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
A lot of good information fellas. I appreciate the responses.

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
I've had folks that I go to church with ask me if I had any or enough places to hunt....  It's pretty strange having  a landowner come up to you and ask you to hunt his place!  But it does happen.  Also find out if they need any type of help (manual labor) that you could do for them.

Good luck, shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Lots of useful information here guys, thanks!
For those of you own property, how much does age play into this? I'm 18, so I'm not sure how well people would take it. My dad hunts, but would probably not leave his tried and true spots to try something new. Would you recommend bringing him along when asking permission, even if he wouldn't be hunting the property?

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
The older I get the easier it is to get permission.  If you're 18 take your dad!

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Always offer to help by paying a fee. If it is worth asking it is worth kicking in your fair share. Many landowners will give permission and pass on taking money. In this case Always send a gift card to a restaurant. If you only hit a property a few times a year a gift card for $100 or $200 is fine. You WILL be remembered and you WILL be welcomed back. I get invitations to hunting land and hunting camps because folks are recently interested to know someone who is a skilled trapper - coyotes and beavers specifically. Beavers too I have been invited into urban neighborhoods since it is a nice perk for a homeowner to have a number to call the day they have a tree chewed up. Be insured and make sure this is one of the first things a landowner hears about you. Me and my best hunting friends are insured for $2Million while bowhunting.
No booze - No sharing your game meat - and do your best not too be seen or draw attention once you gain access.
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Oh and agree if your are 18 take your Dad. And taking a kid along - FORGET it.
<><
<--------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
The liability issue would concern me if I gave anyone permission to hunt my property. They fall out of a tree or shoot themselves and sue me. Don't laugh, it happens.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
I believe the law in Illinois is the only way you are liable in a lawsuit when something goes wrong is if you charge to hunt.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
I agree about NOT taking a kid, unless that kid is going to hunt.  Oldest trick in the book.... Dad shows up with a kid to get permission, then shows up a month later to hunt with 6 buddies-no kid in sight.  One of my landowners got tired of that and asked me what to do...I told him to give permission for the kid only...not Dad... those guys totally gave up  :)  

Don't treat a farmer like a fool... show up in your new, shiny Deere hat and you are just giving him a story to tell at the diner.

Your best bet is to nurture a relationship, maybe even a friendship, with landowners, then getting permission is no big deal.

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©