3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer season not going as planned  (Read 458 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer season not going as planned
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
It appears that I did jinx myself with an earlier post I made. I posted earlier that I had hopes of killing two does...one with my favorite 2 blade single bevel and one with my favorite 3 blade, then do a blood trail comparison to post here. I figured I had plenty of time since I am retired now.

What I hadn't figured into the equation was how much trouble I was going to have hunting this year. I retired because of both knees being bad and back spasms in my lower left back brought on from compensating for my knees.

I am having a heck of a time hunting. If I set for any length of time, my knees tighten up and if I stand for any length of time they just flat out hurt. I have been alternating between sitting and standing as slowly and smoothly as I can (which is not smoothly at all), but even though I scan the woods and thicket before I make a move, I have been busted 4 times that I know of and probably more that I don't know about.

I have a fairly steep hill to climb to access the property which isn't too bad. It's the descent that hurts. I have been limiting my hunts to once a day because I just flat do not want to walk down that hill again. I tried an all day sit one time and both hamstrings cramped up on me...of course there were deer close by then! LOL! They probably wondered what the heck I was doing up there moaning and shaking!! I took the past two days off, yesterday was pre surgery appointments and today there was rain in the forecast and I am unstable enough coming down that hill when it's dry, let alone when it's wet!!

I am not complaining, just disappointed that my first deer season of being retired and being able to hunt as much as I wanted is not what I planned. I know that I am lucky to have a decent place to hunt and I do enjoy what time I get to spend in the woods. Going to hit hard again for the next three days as our gun season starts Saturday. If I don't kill one this week I will still be out with the bow and wearing my hunter orange during gun season up until the 27th. New knees on the 28th!!!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer season not going as planned
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Hang in there!!!  I told my buddy that I'd hunt his place to help save his fruit trees from deer browsing them....  I am batting a big fat 0!  I've never had so much trouble.  It's been a rough season here.

This weekend is gun season and I might have to do your trick and look like a pumpkin with my bow!

Good luck, shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
I hope things improve for you, and you get to do all the hunting that you want to!!!!

Bisch

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
I hope the knee surgery solves these issues for  you and returns physical joy to your hunt.  I know several folks who've had knee surgery (rpl) and they all say it worked wonders.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
I know how that goes , I've been hunting just 50 yards from my house because of back problem .
Been ridiculed about "Fair Chase " .
You just hang in there , you'll get it done yet .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
Keep after it... remember that it just takes ONE to turn a season around.

I felt like I had an awful season last year, but then this year, one night, and it all turned around.

Good luck!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Had left knee replaced last year and right coming up in December. Still getting out. Use a good knee brace with metal support and a walking stick for additional balance. Helps the decent greatly.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
Very few things in life go as planned.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
I am in a similar boat. I have a bulged disc in my back that gives me fits at times with long sits. I also had a few knee surgeries a couple years ago do to a work accident and my left knee does not bend past 90 degrees. I have a hard time standing smoothly from my seat and have been busted a couple times because I can not do it slow and smooth. I just keep going out and enjoy the woods. If it happens then great. My plans were to shoot deer with 3 different Bear Bows this season...
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
I have knee problems too and I pop two Aleve before I walk for hunting or play golf. Seems to work for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
My knees still get stiff after a bit of sitting. even though they are new ones! You will have less pain tho, and be able to walk more. It's all a trade-off.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Hang in there!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
"The best laid plans of mice and men..."
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Hang in there, good thing is your getting out and good luck with the new knee's when you get them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©