3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I think I'm good at hunting just bad at shooting under pressure  (Read 1006 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
I think I'm good at hunting just bad at shooting under pressure
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
My heading says it all. I hunt a large tract of public land. My scouting has paid off with loads of deer sightings.
So on saturday, things have been heating up as far as cruising bucks, and I had a run in with a nice eight point. I shot a little high and he jumped the string that resulted in a miss. Monday found me staring at a bigger buck that I didn't have the opportunity to shoot at but my confidence had already been dashed.
I did go home saturday and took the exact shot on my 3d deer and absolutely drilled it.
I did miss a doe earlier in the season, she jumped the string also. I really need to work on shooting lower.
Do any of you have any suggestions on getting my mojo back? I'm fairly new to all of this. It's only my second year of going completely traditional. So far I'm 0-4 on shots taken.
I don't hunt purely for the kill but my freezer is empty of all venison now.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I think I'm good at hunting just bad at shooting under pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
There is no better practice for shooting deer than shooting at deer. Stay calm, focus, and don't look at the whole deer. That old saying pick a spot......don't do that, pick a hair or a wrinkle in the hide. The good news is your getting shots.......it will happen.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
As above.... the "spot", if possible, should be a spot, not an area of the deer.  Also, see if you can arrange for closer shots ( there is such a thing as Too close).  Slam dunks, to get your confidence back up.
CHuckC

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
What draw weight are you shooting?
...if it's any consolation I had the same problem. One day it clicked and confidence is a huge part of success. I still miss trust me but not as much as I used to.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
Went through same thing when I was young - Shooting judos during the day - a few rounds just before heading to stand - especially in the dark before morning hunts - and I always carry a judo and shoot it before leaving.
<><
<---------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
I still go through it - it's "buck" fever, which for me is simply deer fever.  I get so shook up at the shot that I really have to fight to focus on my spot and execute.  This happened pre-traditional too.  That major adrenaline rush is something I cherish and one of the primary reasons I love to hunt.  If it goes away and I ever become unaffected by the shot - I'll no longer hunt.  

Keep after it, and just talk yourself through your shot each time.  ..."focus on a spot, aim low, smooth release, focus..." You get the idea.

I will say that I have stopped "grunting" to stop an animal now that I've gone 100% trad only.  Our bows are too slow to shoot at an alert animal - period.  I'd rather shoot at one walking than grunt at him/her to stop only to watch them duck the arrow.  

Good luck and keep your head up!!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
Finally, someone who is able to verbalize exactly what my problem is. I did take a small 7 earlier this season but missed a doe completely and a huge bull moose in Newfoundland last month. And I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to hunting. Been at it for about 40 years, most with bows including compounds. I have to hand it to you guys who can consistently hit the mark. It's definitely buck fever but a malady I hope to never get over. When I do, I guess it'll be time to hang it up.

Keep at it bear. You will connect as it seems you're pretty good at the hunting aspect. Wish I was seeing those kinds of animals.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Use a quieter bow. I've had 0 deer react to a shot in MI, heavy hunted beyond belief, using a Hill style bow.  And I've shot my share over the past 30 years. Get close too. 10 yd shots are gimme.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
It has happened to all of us. I missed my first 3 shots at deer and hogs. I even missed a spike last year because of the same thing. I stink under pressure! If I just relax and just shoot without over thinking everything I do amazingly well!  Confidence is key and I'm still trying to build my confidence!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
quieter bow... practice with judos from the tree.... etc etc

Somehow you may need to try to simulate a high pressure shot in your practice routine.

Ive been listening to a podcast (gritty bowmen), and they went into this a bit one time.

What the guy does is him and his group of friends will meet up and put some cash down (compound shooters, but I think its relevant).  Best shot wins it. He was saying that $400 is a pretty good way to put some pressure on the shot!!! Now they are fairly evenly matched so the net wins and losses aren't much.

But they filmed each other during a normal shot,  and filmed themselves during the money shot. There form was good on the normal shot but form errors that showed themselves during the money shot. Through that experience they all became better under high pressure situations. Keeping their cool while a giant bull elk was right there seemed much more doable...

I don't think $400 is realistic number!  :p
Maybe stick a $5 dollar bill on the target. Hit it to win it. scoot back if theres a tie.

Or just get a bunch of cheap arrows and go squirrel hunting. I fall completely apart on squirrel shots! lol

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
This was my first year hunting from a tree stand (after 45 years of bowhunting) and I couldn't wrap my head around how low I needed to aim. Both buck that I killed this season were second opportunities. I feel that both were Darwin candidates due to not learning that having an arrow whizzed over their backs made that location unsafe!

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
If your arrow is going where you are aiming it, it likely isn't "buck fever".

If you are subject to "buck fever", then use breathing exercises to control it.  Slow deep breathes as the deer approaches and through the shot sequence.

What we call buck fever is an autonomic nervous system response to our heightened levels of excitement.  By doing the slow deep breathing it will reduce your heart rate and improve your fine motor skills for the shot.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
So animals jumping the string and lack of confidence are 2 separate issues.  It helped me counting coup on squirrels and deer. Draw and hold.  Get used to it. I did that the other day on a little buck. He just looked at me as I nocked an arrow and drew. I walked up on him on my way out.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Another good point is to bend at the waste and keep your chin tucked in when shooting from a tree stand. Assuming you were in a stand. Put a reminder on the belly your upper limb to (PICK A SPOT!!)
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Once coming to the conclusion that there is a lot more air around it than fur on it, then honing in on the mark may lend itself easier to acquire.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
I know it's already been said many times, but focus on where you want the arrow to go. Not just before the shot, but you must continue to focus on that spot after the strings has left your fingers.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Stump shooting and small game hunting where you hunt big game will pay off big time.

Stumps get you used to the cover and distances and live animals get you used to picking a spot, picking a time and TAKING THE SHOT.  I believe there is a tendency to freeze up waiting for that perfect shot that never comes or being paralyzed by the fear of being seen.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
I completely agree with Bvas. Picking a spot is essential, but staying with it thru the entire process is extremely important.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
It's been five years since I hunted with a trad bow and on November 19th I'll be in stand.

I too had numerous opportunities with trad gear over a 3 year span with disappointing outcomes, so I went back to compound. I've harvested some good bucks over the last few years and have a new confidence in my ability to get them closer using attractants.

My shot will be 10 yards or less, I'm using a clicker so I'm consistent under pressure and I'm practicing from a seated position in an elevated stand.

Results are yet to be determined but I'm looking forward to trying trad again
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Shooting high is common and can be a sign of not picking a spot.
It is, I think,  helpful to take a judo with you and shot it as soon as you get in the tree. A confidence builder.
And have fun... no pressure.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©