3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with recurve length... pics  (Read 398 times)

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with recurve length... pics
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
So I am finally buying my very own Dryad Orion ACS recurve this week after shooting borrowed bows for quite a while. I have shot a Shafer silvertip and more recently a Dryad. I have figured out what wood I want in the riser, which limb and so on.

What I am still struggleing with the the length of the bow. Here is an image of the bow I am shooting currently. How does it look? Does the limbs fold out a good amount? I will give you the specs later once I got a few opinions.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with recurve length... pics
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
Doesn't look bad. I'd suggest about a 60 inch bow. Longer bows shoot a little better than shorter bows in my opinion.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
Give the bowyer a call or email...they will know their bows.

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
I have emailed Mike and he has been very helpful. Basically I have been told that a 62" bow would be ideal but a 60" bow will work fine. I am currently shooting a 15" riser with long limbs for a 60" bow.

I like how nimble the shorter bow is and I shoot it rather well. However I am second guessing if I should get a 17" riser.

My drawlength is 28.5"-29" (realistically most often 28.5"). I have shot a few borders at 62" but it is hard to campare two different bows with quite different feels.

Bow will be used for spot and stalk, quite often in dense shrub.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
The shortest bow I shoot is s 58". Just right for my 28" draw.
No finger pinch, easier to handle while hunting than my 62-66" bows.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
If Mike says a 62" would be ideal - go with it!
I've hear that he's made a few bows....

Don't worry about 60" vs 62"  being more or less nimble.  62" wont get in the way

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have found a chunkier feel shooting a border 62" bow. The Dryad feels a lot easier to handle hence I am getting one. I know it is only 2" differance but spot and stalk through dense shrub can be a challenge sometimes.

I will make my mind and place an order.

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Anyone who got quiver mounts added to a Dryad? Can't find a photo of what they look like and location.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
How does it look?
Buyin' a bow on looks is like marring for them.

How does that bow shoot for you?  Can you get it quiet?  Does it feel good?  Hit where you are looking?

I take it you're asking if the tips have un-recurved enough?  Depends on the bow.  Some do well with a relatively static tip.  Some unfold much more.  Depends on what the designer intended.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
Andreas,
I have emailed you. Give me you number and I'll give you a ring before you order.
Regards
Mark.

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

How does it look?
Buyin' a bow on looks is like marring for them.

How does that bow shoot for you?  Can you get it quiet?  Does it feel good?  Hit where you are looking?

I take it you're asking if the tips have un-recurved enough?  Depends on the bow.  Some do well with a relatively static tip.  Some unfold much more.  Depends on what the designer intended. [/b]
I did not mean looks as aesthetics but rather the flex of the limbs at my draw. I have pretty much settled on a 60" bow but will shoot a 62" border today to see how it carries and shoots in the bush.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
I usually prefer a short bow for stalking and still hunting in thicker cover.It comes in very handy.I draw longer than you and have liked many 3 Piece bows with 14 and 15 inch risers that  made a 60 inch or 58 inch bow.

The Borders typically are actually shorter when braced than many other brands of bows marked the same length.Because of the severe hook and curvature of the recurved tips on border limbs

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
I am shooting 27" draw and have a Toelke Chinook that is 56".  It is so smooth and fits me perfectly.  I've owned bows from 52" - 62" and with my shorter draw, the 56" recurve works great for me.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 02:25:00 AM »
You are thinking right with the 15 in. riser and longer limbs. More working limb will be more like a longer bow and still have shorter bow advantages.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©