3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching from compound to recurve.  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Ram_n_arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching from compound to recurve.
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Hello guys, I am new to traditional archery as it peaks my interest.
I am currently shooting a 70lb Mathews halon and want to buy a bear grizzly as my first recurve.
This bow speaks history and is something I can't stop thinking about

Now I am a strong 22 year old. I stand 5'7" and weigh about 165lbs.  I recently bought the (heavy) bow fit training tubes knowing that recurve so you hold back way more weight than a compound. I have the tubes as heavy as they get and can hold it at full draw for a good 30 seconds without creeping.

My draw length on a compound is 27", and when measure for a recurve it is more like 26-26.5.   I want to be hunting deer with it next archery season and want to be around 50lbs at my draw length. I'm torn between the 55lb and the 50.  Can anyone share some tips with me?   I realize that at my draw length, both bows will most likely pull under 50lbs. Thanks for any help!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from compound to recurve.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Go with the lighter bow.  It's plenty for deer and you'll handle it better while learning the new shooting method.  It is actually a pretty easy transition if you use your current shooting form and just put a recurve in your hand and a shooting glove on the other.  Everything else is pretty much the same.  Your draw should be about the same once you get used to the weight.

Good luck and welcome to the world of trad.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
The best tip you can get, is don't over-bow yourself to start with. 45#s is plenty.

Learning good form and being accurate is much more important.  Forget about speed and drawing 70# with your compound.

Go out and have fun!

Offline Ram_n_arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Trust me sped is the least of my concerns.
I am more about momentum and arrow weight than speed.
I'm shooting 466gr. Arrows out of my halon and will probably be more around 500gr. With the recurve.

Will the 50lb. Grizzly put me around 45lbs at my draw length?  Not sure of the weight reduction from draw lengths.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
I guess a 50# at your draw would still be over 45# .
I think you have the right idea .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Well I hope you have a blast! Traditional archery is so much fun. I would think 50 pounds would be a great set up for you, you could go 45 also but I think 50 would be a fine weight to begin with and plenty for any  whitetail

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
If you don't have a specific bow picked out, don't hesitate to go for a 35# bow.  If you do it now and start building your form and technique over the winter you will be ready to pick out the bow you want to hunt with in the spring.  If you get around some shops and shoots  you will have opportunities to try some bows.  You might end up with something altogether different than the grizzly.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Ram_n_arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Thanks guys. This is very exciting for me.
My grandfather used to shoot instinctive with his bow. He could throw a hat up in the air and drill it before it came down.  I would love for him to see me getting into real world archery.
I can stack arrows with the compound out to 80 yards and hit what I am aiming for. I am 100% up for the challenge of traditional.

How accurate is the dynamic spine calculator on 3rivers archery?  
I amSold on starting with carbon arrows.
Looking at gold tip classics with the footing.
At 29" cut with 125 up front and a 75 gr brass insert it says the spine is good for my draw length and poundage?  How critical is spine ?

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Welcome!!! and get ready for a great journey into traditional archery! This is a great site and as you can see the help is on the way. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have because the great folks on this site will help you out. Good luck and get ready for an awsome addiction    :bigsmyl:

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Start off with low weight and get your form right
Work your way up as you go.
People make that big mistake and start off too heavy
I love Bow Hunting

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
first off welcome and as others have stated buckle up bc this is one awsome ride id say the 45 @ your draw would be a great starting point bc trust us  you will rather have a bow you can shoot all day rather than something you strain on and get unmotivated with right off the rip form is everything with a trad bow start out light and work up in weight as you mature more in your form youve come to the right spot for knowledge and motivation and keep in mind what you like today in that grizzly may very well not be whay you like tomorrow but its a solid starting point good luck and i look forward to your harvest pics next fall
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
I'd offer that you get a 45lb bow too. It would be an easier learning curve, and you can shoot it forever (or a family member could) if you decide to keep it that long.

And, you won't be 22 and as strong as you are now, forever, trust me......lol

Someday later in life you'll want to shoot that bow again. Just another way of looking at it.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
I'd offer that you get a 45lb bow too. It would be an easier learning curve, and you can shoot it forever (or a family member could) if you decide to keep it that long.

And, you won't be 22 and as strong as you are now, forever, trust me......lol

Someday later in life you'll want to shoot that bow again.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ram_n_arrows:
   I want to be hunting deer with it next archery season and want to be around 50lbs at my draw length. I'm torn between the 55lb and the 50.
If you want #50 or #55 at your draw length (26 1/2") the bow you are looking for should be around #60 @ 28".
If you want to hunt deer, a #50 @ 28" to be around #45 at your draw length is a better starting bow.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
I am the odd man out here, in that I think a 22 year old, who is regularly working out could pull a 55# bow without undue effort. It will take a bit more training, though. (You will note that there is an ongoing debate about low vs. high draw weight on this forum, and I certainly don't intend to enter it here.) All I am saying is that a guy of your age and strength will not have difficulty with a bow of this weight if you do the work.
Sam

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Jacob
Welcome.
Shooting trad gear is fun.  I picked up a recurve 22 years ago and life was over as I knew it.
I am thinking at 22 the 55#  bow should be no problem. Be conscious of your form and keep practice sessions short,  a dozen quality arrows at a time.
Enjoy.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Use a bow that is 40 at your draw weight to develop great for and muscle memory then move up from there.

Perfect practice makes perfect shooting.

You do not want fatigue to come into play.

Something I've struggled with is picking a spot on critters. I would recommend shooting at a black piece of cardboard and picking a spot.

Best of luck to you.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm with Sam Mcmicheal on this one. Someone at your age who works out regularly will not have any difficulty pulling 45lbs at your draw length. I would build up slowly though. Don't go out and fling hundreds of arrows. It took me a long to time to realize that practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Now, as soon as I start to lose focus or start to get strained I stop in order to avoid bad habits.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
Jacob Im from Mass on the south shore my club is Hanson Rod N Gun, if your fairly close to my area I can let you check out some recurves and help you get the basics down enough so you can practice and be ready for next year.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Ram_n_arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
Jacob Im from Mass on the south shore my club is Hanson Rod N Gun, if your fairly close to my area I can let you check out some recurves and help you get the basics down enough so you can practice and be ready for next year.
Oh no kidding.  I am a member at the Woburn sportsman club. I live on the north shore.  Once I get my bow I may take you up on that offer !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©