3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No deer  (Read 826 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
No deer
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Anyone seeing anything? I've been out all day three days straight not one deer, don't know what's going on
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No deer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Anyone? Could use some help
aim small miss small

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
hunt a different spot? I've had the same happen. How about some details?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I've beennhunting ridges wgphere they run to get to food sources or where they get pushed down below, I'm hunting vt now its not an easy state to hunt
aim small miss small

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
Although I shot my second deer last week,a spike, deer activity has been almost nonexistent. You are not alone with your frustration.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
They moving at night you guys think? The check in station was busier then I have ever seen it sat and sun
aim small miss small

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Can't help you with deer. If you want wolves we've got plenty of them.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
I am seeing quite a few does, no bucks yet in ND. They are running at night tho. Quite a few dead on the roads.

My SIL rifle shot a nice 4×4 Saturday about 4:30 in MN.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
Where in New Hampshire are you. Big woods can be tough, finding smaller woodlot a adjacent to big woods can be the trick. Especially with the gun hunters out in your area.
Tyler C. Moore

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm in Etna, I'm currently hunting Cavendish vt, I found four rubs today should I sit on these? Two are a rubline others are spread out a bit but close to same aea
aim small miss small

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
That's where I would sit.......play the wind and sit the rub line.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
This past weekend is the first time I have seen a considerable number of deer. But not many bucks at all.
Sam

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Lots of yearlings, nothing else.
Never wait too long!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Kyle deer movement will be disorganized these next days so the rubline probably won't be worth sitting on. If you hunted 3 days all day no sighting lets agree that area is not where you should be hunting. Is there snow yet? Not telling you what to do but at this time of year in northern NH, VT & ME I'd be waiting on snow and "tracking" as a hunting method. The deer will teach you all you need to know to build out next year with a plan. Google the Benoits and Hal Blood and use their blueprint for developing your woodsmanship. Not a lot of deer up there but snow levels the playing field and makes what deer there are easy to find. Slowly driving logging roads in large sections of woods is a great way to cut a track.
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
Ifbthose rubs are there he should be around that area? Big woods up here, so this area is no good your saying because I saw no deer? There's a lot of ridges we have been hunting with different nooks and Cranny's they can sneak through, this area is all hard woods and ridges off a snowmobile trail.
aim small miss small

Offline Ouchigan72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Lat week was the first time I had seen deer in almost 3 weeks. I'm headed out in the morn to hopefully tag one. Keep at it ....ya can't tag one from the couch.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 03:41:00 AM »
Lot's of reasons and rationales.

One recent example from this season:

Have 9 hot setups with plenty of action and suddenly I was attempting to find one setu that had a doe.

Gave another dry setuo a run Friday evening. A 2 1/2 8 pt travelling nonchalantly with six does wondered in, a half an hour later, a nice 3 1/2 yr wide 10 pt wondered in nonchalantly with 8 does. Then 20 minutes later mahem broke with more does and bucks flooding the area as chasing and grunting ensued. Could not provide a valid estimate of the deer seen from the groundeset.

Two days later the setup was dry once more.

Note: have only seen four does and yearlings max travelling together this season.

Am maintanng patience,mobilty and confidence. Several other local veteran hunters are experienceing quite similar results.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Yes I am saying if you saw no deer in 3 days get out to new territory. Rubs mean bucks were there when they made the rubs and they might even be back soon but the rut is peaking now and bucks are ON does and if you hunted 3 days all day and saw nothing but rubs you are in the wrong place. Not all woods holds deer - not all woods holds big deer. Nature will teach you if you pay attention. Remember I am assuming you spent 3 full days hunting with decent woods skill and saw no deer. It is OK to not get a deer - it is NOT ok to not see deer or at least fresh sign. Rubs are sign and if they were backed up with droppings and scrapes we might be in the game. Bedding cover is how far? Preferred feed is what? Confirm the feed by fresh tracks - fresh feed sign. I find rubs are great for learning direction and travel path for hunting in September and October - even into early November - today is the 16th Deer are chasing.
<><
<---------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
cory you cant compare nc to vt with the population numbers, theres alot of nooks and crannys they can sneak by easily, so should i try a little lower on the ridges? the real thick stuff is below, down where i saw those rubs were 150 yards from my dad and i saw a big buck track about 80 yards from him heading down kind of where the rubs were, its flatter down below the ridges, its all hardwoods here where we hunt
aim small miss small

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Find where they are feeding. Hunt there.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©