3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RH or LH single bevel broadhead???  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: RH or LH single bevel broadhead???
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Yep...i'd go with a single bevel that has opposite bevels..you know...left on one side and right on the other. Also fletch with 2 feathers of opposite wing and all you problems are solved    :laughing:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
It appears obvious that matching fletch to bevel would give you optimum penetration when stuff goes bad, but really, does anyone have any real data showing penetration of miss matched feather wing / bevel on deer sized critters ?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
Yew....you are giggling...but would that broadhead work ?  Why not ?

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Hey Chuck, haven't we done this before?    :laughing:  

Everything I need to know about this is available in a single post:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049444;p=3#000034  

If you really want to shoot mixed bevels and fletch, just be sure you don't hit any bones when you do it. For me, I think it's ethical to not introduce this risk.
Thom

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
Deer sized critters, not wildebeast or zebra or buffalo.  

I guess the point I am asking is,  we talk of the "best scenario" but if any of this blows right thru a deer, does any more even matter ?  

If a double bevel will go thru three feet of stuff and a single bevel will go thru five feet, since a deer is only one foot thick, does any of it matter ( yes, I made up those numbers to get my point across).

Just a question.

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I used the original right wing Grizzlies spinning them correctly with RW feathers for a couple of years and then went to spinning incorrectly because I prefer to shoot left wing out of my longbows, that finger cut from the quill thing, I hold so the arrow rides on my finger.   Then 20 years or so ago I went single bevel Hills, I did that so I could grind them to match the left or right wing feathers.  I was not considering cutting, I was thinking more of the aerodynamics of the broadhead trying to turn the opposite of the feathers.   I wish i could tell that any of it made any noticeable difference in blood trails or even in flight characteristics, I cannot.   I can say that a left wing or right wing single bevel Hill leaves more blood on the ground quicker than a standard Hill on average no matter which way it is spinning.   Of course, I am not trying to shoot through a cape buffalo's shoulder bone, they have all flown straight through whitetail deer so far.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Seems to me bone is bone, whether its the rib of a buff or the ball socket of a whitetail, either way, I want to smash through If I am blessed enough to have a shot opportunity.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »
I hit that shoulder socket once, not intentional,  I got through it far enough to hit the heart.  That was with a wood arrow and a standard 160 grain file sharpened Hill, sharpened exact like  the brochure Craig used to send out with the broad heads.  Accuracy trumps everything.  If an efoc arrow is flying loggy, a clean flying balanced arrow will out penetrate it.  I have seen some guys around here that expertly tuned their set ups on level ground going for full power and then not have it when shooting at deer from a tree stand.  They did not get the penetration that they expected.  I suspect their draw came in too short and their arrows did not perform the way they did in their backyards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©