3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boeuf WMA Hog Hunt #2. ( updates )  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boeuf WMA Hog Hunt #2. ( updates )
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
I've come down with a bad case of stomach flu, so I'm going to have to sit this one out.  Good luck to everyone.
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
our group is dropping like flies!  that just means more hogs for me!     :bigsmyl:    

When is everyone planning on being down there?  I know Todd said he wont be able to come in until friday now.  I look forward to a great weekend!  I will be bringing home some pork, just letting the rest of y'all know!   ;)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
I will head out real early Thursday morning be their mid morning.Weather looks iffy.Kip

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm really sad to hear that Jon.  Was looking forward to seeing you again.
As far as the weather goes, it seems to do this EVERYTIME we plan something! Especially if Darren is involved!    :laughing:  
However,   My lovely wife bought me some new rain gear for Christmas, so if need be I plan on breaking them in!!!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
That stinks Jon, get better! Hope to see you in the not-too-distant future.

My plans have changed a little. I should still arrive approximately 7p on Thursday, but will need to leave by mid-afternoon Saturday. So I only have 1.5 days to hunt. You early guys please have a hog tied up for me.

Randy is not kidding about rain when we hunt. Other than a couple times when it's been just him and me, we have endured rain from steady to full-blown monsoon. I'm not sure if it is bad luck, a dark, cursed, hog-hunting cloud that follows me or if it is a combination of me and Marty being at the same place at the same time. That poor guy comes to TX and LA from AK thinking he can warm up and dry out a little. Oh well, he's used to hunting wet. At least the temps won't be freezing like last year.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
I will be there as soon as I can be there thursday!  I should be able to be there around 4, or hopefully sooner!  

my opinion here, but all this rain is only going to make stalking them easier.  I love stalking in the rain.  Absolutely love it.  They'll be up moving around and we will have as good of an advantage as possible!  

Darren,

I give you permission to stay longer, if you want to!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
I'll be there Thursday evening and I have to head back midday Saturday.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
If OK with everyone looks like I will be there first I can cook the Gumbo for Thursday night unless someone else wants to.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Kip,

That works for me. I may not make it up on Thursday so I will save my meal for later.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
Gumbo sounds good Kip!!!  Marty and I are on our way and will be there this afternoon. May not get anything set up due to the rain.  
Here's how my morning started. I backed up to the side of the house to get some firewood and.... .
wife isn't to happy about the condition of the front yard!   :biglaugh:

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Good luck to y'all!

Randy, quit being a stick in the mud!    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:      

Bisch

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
It is raining like crazy up there now. Hopefully get a break in the weather but like Daniel said. That's some good stalking conditions!!  :archer2:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
its been pouring here all day guys. We have caught the brunt of it. suppose to move out by mid day tomorrow and be dry friday before returning saturday. Kade and I may see you all or we may not. Mississippi is on the rise and we have to head over to pull stands, etc before we are cut off. Best of luck....

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Well???  We need an update
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Kip and I left after the Saturday morning hunt. As of then 3 arrows were released 1 connected, but no meat was brought back to camp. Marty, Todd, and I all had shot opportunities. Darren, and Randy had some close calls. I'll let them tell their stories and I'm anxious to hear what happened Saturday night and Sunday.

I can safely say that the brotherhood and fellowship I experienced was unlike any other hunting camp I've been in. All of these guys were top-notch and extremely welcoming of the new guy although they really warmed up after they ate my shrimp etouffe. Even though Randy kept calling me Jonathan instead of Jacob I have to say that this was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
So here is my story:

I arrived Thursday night and ate a bowl of Kip's Hen, Sausage, and Tasso Gumbo and realized that this hunt is just as much about the food as it is the pursuit of wild critters.

Friday the game plan was to find the hogs. The crew headed out to the southern part of the WMA and we split into pairs and headed out in search of hog sign. Daniel and I took the southern wing of the search and worked our way through a block of 10-15 year old row planted red oaks. The trees were producing but pig sign was scarce. We did jump through 2 different deer bedding areas and saw 6 does. Next we went a few miles north to where one of Daniel's friends had seen some hogs the previous week. This area looked more promising. We started seeing some ground rooted up. Daniel and I also had a close encounter with an Alligator Snapping Turtle.

After some of Kip's reheated gumbo which is even better the next day we all headed out again into the swamps. Daniel and I stuck together and went check out another spot. About 3/4 mile into this block of timber I spotted movement straight in front of us. I thought we were busted because he made a bee-line straight away from us, but the wind was right and he must not have been spooked that bad because he ran about 60-70 yards and went about his business. That is when things got interesting.

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
I started creeping towards him and Daniel followed close so that we would only make one silhouette. When we got about 30 yards from where he disappeared Daniel made a wide arc to the right and I stayed put with an arrow nocked hoping that we could flank him and maybe one of us could get a shot. I could see Daniel's orange through the trees as he worked his way around. Once Daniel got directly in front of me he started back my way to close the distance and try and force a shot. As soon as Daniel headed back my way I caught movement slightly off to my left at about 20yds and I put some tension on my longbow's string. I could tell that Daniel couldn't see him as he kept coming my way slowly. Then he made his mistake: he took two more steps and I had a perfect broadside shot at about 18 yards.

I don't remember drawing my bow at all. I just picked a spot and the next thing I know my arrow is on its way. The shot felt good but my heart dropped when I saw it collide with his back hip! 540 grains of arrow collided with him and he was momentarily stunned. I got another arrow on the string as quickly as I could as he started to limp away from me. It was clear that his back leg was broken. I felt my body start to involuntarily shake from the adrenaline as I tried to get a clear shot for my second arrow. Unfortunately this was a clean miss. As I nocked my third arrow he was getting farther away and I was starting to get that sinking feeling in my stomach. I didn't think I would get another shot so I tried to slow my breathing, concentrate on a spot and I let the string slip off my glove. It was a grazing shot, 2 inches up and I would have nailed him! Another few seconds later he was gone and I was left shaking with that terrible feeling of having botched an opportunity.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
I just now got my pictures downloaded or uploaded or whatever. Jacob's etouffee was more than worth the drive and price of admission on this hunt. Of course Kip's gumbo, Randy's(Kristie's) breakfast burritos and Marty's caribou summer sausage and hunter's sticks made for solid eating all the way around. I had to leave Saturday, but Todd was supposed to make a jambalaya. I'm sure it was also incredible and it hurts that I missed out on the last leg of the Cajun Triple Crown of Cuisine.

Jacob nailed the camp vibe. Everyone gets along so well and he fit in perfectly. Daniel's hospitality makes it easy to feel welcomed and be relaxed. We all had a blast competing in a nighttime shooting contest. Daniel shot a time-lapse video and said he is going to try to post it. We laughed a lot!

I could only hunt Friday but managed to see a couple different groups of hogs during the afternoon. The first group was large. I don't know the exact number and I only got within about 80 yds before all but a few blew outta there. I was downwind of them, so I'm guessing that one happened to see me as I was trying to close the distance. I heard a barking type of grunt then a stampede ensued and saw lots of movement through the brush. The few that remained seemed unconcerned. One of those was a large sow. After raising hogs in my youth, I know what a market weight hog looks like. She was at or just past that size. What was really exciting is that these were the first hogs in maybe 8-10 bow hunts where I've actually seen any.

I only saw 3 in the second group, but managed to get to about 40 yds from the closest one before the wind got me. They all took off, but I almost had a chance!

I was very fortunate to be able to spend a little time with each guy individually. There is no doubt that hunting is important in different ways to everyone in attendance. But what was more impressive, is that everyone had a sincere desire for others to have a great time and some measure of success. I think Todd was more excited for me seeing my first hogs while bow hunting than I was. And I can tell you.....I was pretty excited!

As always, the end of these things come too soon. Can't wait for the next one!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

My Friday morning hunt was uneventful as I covered a lot of ground and saw NO hog sign. I did however sneak up on this duck. I didn't take a shot though, since I did not have the proper stamps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©