3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 8X or 10X BINOS for Hogs and Other Woods Hunting....What's Your Preference?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey all,

I have a set of great 10X Pentax DCF HRII binos that I have barely used.  They are a bit too heavy for my neck and upper back due to a medical condition I inherited.

So...I have been toying with the idea of selling mine and getting a new set of nice BINOS.  I would not want to spend more than $250-300 or so.

Here's one of the things I need to figure out before I embark on anything about getting new or a good USED set of Binos......I need to figure out what power to get, 8X or 10X like I have now.

I normally like to have more magnification, but as you know, there is no free lunch.  With more magnification it cuts down on your field of view and you notice the shakes more.  A light set of good 10X binos cost BIG money, like the Leica, Zeiss, Steiner and some of the Nikon binos do.  I can't spend that much on BINOS.

Now for the immediate future I am going to be hunting hogs in east Texas, likely in Sam Houston National Forest or other public lands.  Most of these lands are heavily forested and lots of undergrowth.  I can definitely see the benefits of going down to 8X in that kind of environment.

If I did go to an 8X, I would likely also drop down in the objective lens as well to cut the weight and bulk.

I'd like to know what you all think about what the best magnification is for a hunting binocular.  What do you use when you hunt in the woods?  Also, if you want to mention some brnads or models of BINOS that you have had great results with, feel free.  I haven't looked at BINOS for a long time so I am rusty as to what makes up good sets these days, phase coating, BAK4, and so on is what I am talking about.

Any info you care to share would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help.
Larry

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
8x,  10 can be a little to much for hunting in the timber imo
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
hmm for that price range I would go with  vortex 8x42
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
10's are ok if you are sitting and spotting, but for a carry glass, 8 would be my max.  I have 7x and it has always been enough for me.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
In the eastern woods, don't discount even 6x.  I think Vortex makes a great 6x 32 or 36.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
8X has been more than I have required.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
Thom from Wild Things uses 6x for the thick stuff in South Carolina. I just bought the 8x42 Nikons. I hunt open woodlands mainly and hope they aren't too much for my trip to WT next year.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

8X for me, but i use them more for 3D shoots than hunting.

Bisch

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I like the 6x Leupold Yosemite. In the thick eastern country the binocs are rarely needed for long distance, rather they are needed for figuring out what I think I am seeing or looking at over shorter distances.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do yourself a favor and take a look at Bushnell Elite Custom Compacts in the 7X26 size - often sold as the "birding series".  Dad has used the old school custom compacts for 50 years, and I'm going on 30 years total with mine, across 2 pairs - one old school, and one "elite" birding series that I've had for close to 20 yrs.  I've tried a few others over the years and keep coming back to the CC's.  I've outglassed guys several times with some really high dollar glass (a couple of the real top end brands you mentioned) - even on longer range glassing - these aren't what you are thinking of as "Bushnell".  They are small enough to be where you need them too - not in the truck console or wearing out your neck.  I carry mine on a longer string, over one shoulder and under my right arm, so they are out of the way...you don't even know they are there.

I've used these all over the US and up North and haven't found a need for more for me.  I'm not trying to score a caribou 2 miles away to within 5 inches...I want to know "big enough" or "not"   :)  .

I bought a backup pair a couple years ago in case my old ones get broken - I think I paid around 280 online - shop around.

R

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 8X or 10X BINOS for Hogs and Other Woods Hunting....What's Your Preference?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Check out the vortex glasses. Love mine
Dan Breen

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
I guess I am like lots of the other posters, I utilize my Vortex (Viper) 6 X 32 in the woods for deer - would be great for hogs - wide view, great in the timber and super for low light conditions.  I have never felt "under glassed" with the 6 power.  If I were out west, I would use something else.  Seriously, the 6 power 32 mm objective is a lot of glass for using in the woods.  Vortex is outstanding for clarity, definition, field of view and low light use.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
For woods and swamp, like others, I go with 6x. Field of view suffers with higher magnification. Vortex is a good value for the money.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
In most of the eastern woodland area, I think 4X or at most 6X would be good. I can think of a few places more power might be useful but not many. Personally, I usually don't use them at all, as most of my stands are very short range affairs in some thick places.
Sam

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
I have 8X40 Steiners.......they have been excellent from the high country of Colorado to wood lots in the northeast to the swamps with Ray Hammond in South Carolina.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
If you are truly hunting " the woods " 6X should be more than enough. This year I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x36's in the classifieds and found them to be great little bino's ... very light weight compared to my 8x42 Vortex and I was amazed at their field of view. You can wear them around your neck and not even notice them.

Very affordable, even brand new ones. I was very pleasantly surprised.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
8 is a great all-around choice east ...west....and in Texas ....it will cover them all
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
Get your hands on a used set of Steiner 6X30. You won't be disappointed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
dont discount the Vortex brand...I got my first pair and have not missed my Leupolds yet.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
8X Steiners have worked well for me for almost 20 years of woodland hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©