3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vintage Pearson (New to me)  (Read 504 times)

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Vintage Pearson (New to me)
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
TGers, I just picked this beautiful old Pearson 'curve on the big site and thought I'd share it with you.  I really like the lines of this bow and the wood seems really fine, although I don't know what it is.  It reminds me of my Mercury Hunter in line, and shoots similarly although with hair more hand-feel without the mercury capsules. Hard to read the gold lettering I hope it comes through in the pics, it's 60" xx65@28" Enjoy...

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vintage Pearson (New to me)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Good find. That bow has some pretty wood in it,and it has a neat strung profile.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Looks like a good find .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
I have a 1968 Sovereign catalog.  It says the Knight riser is "hand finished laurel".
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
I have a 1968 Sovereign catalog.  It says the Knight riser is "hand finished laurel".
Thanks that's neat. I thought laurel was a shrub not a tree. It is pretty though. Oddly the tips seem stubby but the handle and shelf are very finished. Completely opposite from my mercury hunter.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I found several references to laurel trees that grow to 90 ft tall.  One tree is native to parts of Africa, another is native to eastern Asia.  There is also one that grows in California, the California bay laurel, used as a "tonewood" in the backs and sides of guitars.  There are a couple dozen references so I didn't check them all.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Hey that is a beauty, I have been wondering about the wood in an old pearson myself.

Is this the same stuff?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Clay,

What model is your Pearson?  I'll look in my catalogs and see what they say.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
Nice looking bow.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Love the old Pearsons.  Picked up 8-10 different models in the past year.  Yours does have the profile of the mercury hunter or the predator.  Pretty stout poundage on that one.  I picked up a mercury hunter that is 65#@28 and I think I would be better off having it reduced about 5 pounds.  I'd love to find a mercury takedown at around 55#s but you don't see many of them.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Thats actually my buddies bow, and I just refinished it for him. Its a colt.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Joe2, I have a Mercury Marauder td #60 and they are great bows. I also have a bunch of Pearsons, one of my favorite makers of bows. Never met a Pearson I didn't like!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by ksbowman:
Joe2, I have a Mercury Marauder td #60 and they are great bows. I also have a bunch of Pearsons, one of my favorite makers of bows. Never met a Pearson I didn't like!
Well ksbowman, the reality is that 60# Mercury Marauder is actually mine. You just haven't come to your senses to sell it to me yet!  :-)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
Michael, There are others  that contact every now and then saying the same thing. It is one sweet shooter!I've shot a lot of critters with it.                                                            
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by ksbowman:
[QB] Michael, There are others  that contact every now and then saying the same thing. It is one sweet shooter!I've shot a lot of critters with it.                                                            

I understand.  I become very attached to things I've used on successful hunts.  I sometimes scratch my head seeing ads in the classifieds saying " this bow has mojo" and seeing it leaned over an animal taken.  You know I'm just joshing you about the Marauder.  I could see selling a bow that you've taken animals with, but only long after losing the ability to draw it.  But I'd be lying if I said I don't covet that Merc, it is a beauty!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©