3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Gamemaster Jet -Update Pg2  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Gamemaster Jet -Update Pg2
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Steve... there was a reason Jack chose the Howatt Hunter to be his "short" hunting bow. He was picky!

I shot a Hunter for years and it was one of the finest bows I've ever shot... production or custom.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Sixby said "I could tell no difference in the bows except for length and taper rate of the limbs. The two Jets had 0 taper in the laminations and the old Howatt had tapers in the limb. "  Not sure if you got it backwards or if you are not talking about Jack's Jet model. All of the Jet's have one parallel lam I think Jack referred to as his master thickness lam and the other lam is a very complex taper that has a reverse taper for a couple inches past the fadeout, then tapers down in thickness for about 8" and then reverse tapers again to a thicker section through the curves.  The top and bottom limbs have similarities in the lam taper but they were definitely each ground to a separate different configuration for their specific purpose. I have more Jets than I guy should own and I've really studied them.  The more you look into their construction, the more you appreciate Jack's impressive skills and meticulousness.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
The specific labeling on the two Jet I had said Howard Gamemaster Jet. I am no expert on these bows and have stated that I only have experience with two of them. I micrometered every single inch of the bow limb because enquiring minds want to know. They were perefect para;;el limbs from the eof to the start of the curve. He may have had a lam thicker from the start of the curve and I have made lams like that myself. I did not mic into the curve. However from the end of fade to the start of the curve these particular bows had parallel laminations.

I did not get it backwards but have since learned that having parallel laminations or very close to parallel .001 to .015 In not particularly a bad thing and considering the added stability if you have adequate smoothess due to side taper of the profile can actually be a bonus.

God bless, Steve

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
I have:

four Jets ... 57, 56 (Camo) 54 (Black and Black) 49.

one Carbon Classic (51)

three Original GameMasters  (51, 53, 55)  

One Jack Howard Hunter (Howatt Hunter finished by Jack)

and one very rare and elusive "Jack Howard Supreme Target"  My personal "Eldorado boe".  We don't know how many were made, but only two are known to exist.  These only surfaced in the last few years.

It should be noted that the Camo model Jets were made from one solid piece of hardrock maple.  Unexpectedly these bows are faster than the rosewood models.  Jack felt that if he was going to paint the bow camo there was no sense in using the more exotic rosewood he had in stock.  Especially since there was then an embargo on importing the rosewood.  Knowing this was coming, he had ordered a huge supply of rosewood so he would have enough to last a long time.  He determined that the solid Maple riser was more rigid than the laminated rosewood risers.  This resulted in a higher speed.  My 56# Camo cronies about 10 FPS faster than my rosewood 57#  However, there were a few rosewood risers that were camo painted before he started using the hardrock maple.  

The Howatt Hunters were made in response to customer request that he come out with a 62" model.  He did not want to retool for this so he ordered about 50 unfinished Hunter models from Damon Howatt and refinished them with his special finis and logos.  Hence  the "Jack Howard hunter".  Now these bows did not have his unique limb design with spine matched laminations.   They are basically Damon Howat Hunters with Jacks Logo and finish.  Although they are not Jacks special limb design, the Howatt Hunters are no slouch bows.  They are great in their own right.

Keep an eye on e*at.  The Jets pop up every once in a while, but be prepared to pay  premium for them.  Worth every penny.

If you are lucky enough to acquire one, know that these bows were designed to be used a special string that Jack manufactured himself.  Unlike B50, it actually stretches.  Strings in this material are still available from a member that posted in this thread.  I will leave him to acknowledge who he is and if he will provide you with them.  

The lengths of Jacks bows are as follows.

Hunters   62"
Classics  64"
Gamemasters and Jets 66"
Supreme Target  68"

Hope this info has helped a bit.  If Kelly Peterson ever chimes in he will have lots more info.

Jack Millet
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Jack. Yes I make strings for Jack's bows from the original material when requested.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
I'd like to buy one!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by vintage-bears:
I'd like to buy one! [/QUOTE

I'm in line behind you! I'd love one or just to shoot one and give back would be good enough I think. I have always liked the lines of that bow.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
My two new Jack Howard Gamemaster Jets.
Both 52#, both originally built for the same gentleman in 1999 and two serial numbers apart. The bow on the left shows signs of light use.  The one on the right does not appear to have ever been shot, or if it has, only a few times.  It shows no wear on the feather rest or side plate and has no knock set installed on the string like the other one.  Kelly Peterson informed me the bow with the serial number in between my two is also 52#.  I have not had a chance to shoot either bow yet,  but I have some 2114's fletched up ready to go. Jack preferred these arrows I am told. They are beautiful bows and I'm tickled they popped up so soon after I started asking about them.  

"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
Beautiful bows Troy. Congratulations.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
Congratulations Troy.
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Burnside ,did you buy these from a guy on the wall . He had two and I asked about them last nite .told me they were sold .
Dan Breen

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Burnsie, I haven't seen a bad looking jet yet but that one of yours on the left is a beauty. Nice find, especially at that weight.  Will probably pull 55# and be very smooth and plenty quick. Enjoy.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dan bree:
Burnside ,did you buy these from a guy on the wall . He had two and I asked about them last nite .told me they were sold .
Dan,  
Yes, I got them from a gentleman who had them posted on the Leatherw*** classifieds.  Drove up to Winona, MN and picked them up in person 12/31/16.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Burnsie. If you ever get tired of one .    Lol.
Dan Breen

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
Congrats. Both are beauties!!

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
Congratulations Troy

Offline vintage-bears