3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: November double  (Read 904 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
November double
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
After an October that was filled with plenty of deer sightings but an empty freezer I was a little worried when gun season started here in Indiana. I spent a lot of time trying to get my boys a deer and had a blast but usually manage a deer or so in Oct.

My wife worked the night before into the morning so I didn't get to my hunting area until after 10am. With a bright orange hat I curled up next to a big poplar that I had placed a few dead logs around last year. This is a public land spot that at one time was owned by my family. It is a funnel that connects a large field and a over grown field/ thicket.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: November double
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the spot last year while hunting with one of my self bows.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
After a good 10min. sit I caught movement from my NW. I turned my body in that direction and watched as probably 12 doe ran my direction too fast for me to get a shot. I stayed still hoping that a big buck was causing all the commotion. A couple seconds after I could hear all the doe run past I got that feeling that maybe not all of them had ran up on the next ridge.

I turned to my left to see that 2 doe had actually stopped about 10 yards behind me looking past me at whatever had spooked them. I slowly started to turn my body when they looked away and came to full draw being mindful that I couldn't cant my bow in this position with the tree so close.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I can't get over the part...."used to be owned by my family" .....what in the world happened there.......sorry I can't help it
Tim

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I sent the arrow on it's way and watched it bury deep into its mark. I watched as she made her way out of sight struggling up the hill.

Just then I once again caught movement from my NW. I readied another arrow and moved back into position. 2 more doe were coming from the same trail as the others. As they approached I grunted to stop them. They both stopped dead in their tracks looking directly at me.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
But I'm INfor the story mind ya....
Tim

Offline bwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
:coffee:

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Tim, my family had a large farming operation until the point that the state decided to put in a 9,000 acre lake. A lot of farmers went under with the water.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
:campfire:       :coffee:  so far so good Rob!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
Stopping deer is not usually my thing. I either shoot them on a slow walk or wait until they stop. The next moment is why. As the bow went off she dropped and spun back. Luckily as she spun the arrow entered her ear canal and partially exited the other side of her head through the brain.

She still managed to run a short distance into a ditch filled with briars. I heard her crash and then BOOM!

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
This is very interesting. Boom like a gun?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
At first I really thought the shotgun blast was further away around the ridge where the rest of the deer had ran. I sat for a bit to gather my thoughts and decided it wouldn't hurt to recover the second deer since she had just made it 40 yrds from me over the hill.

As I crested the hill I saw another hunter field dressing the deer I had shot. I waved for him to see me and made my way to him. He had gut the shot deer as it was crashing and cut his hand on my broadhead sticking out while field dressing. I got my med kit out of the pack and we spoke while I bandaged him up.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
This is interesting. I am really curious how this turns out.

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
It turns out that he had walked in below me just a moment before all the deer ran through the area. He thought the deer he shot got seperated from the group and was tripped up on the briars when he took the shot. He hadn't noticed my broadhead so he started to field dress quickly because his gut shot had mostly started the job. When he grabbed the head to reposition my broadhead sliced his hand.

After we both sorted out what had just happened I tagged the deer and he offered to help me track the other doe. After a short bubble lung trail we found the first deer. I checked this one by phone and showed the gentleman my version of the gutless method. Meanwhile he told me his son was hunting a short distance away and was hoping maybe he would have better luck.

When I was almost done done packing everything up we heard a shot from the other side of the field. It was the man's son. I decided that I would take one deer out on my back and drag the other. I made my way back to the other doe and called it in. I then took both out and gave the guy a ride to his truck.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
I decided that dragging a deer from where the son had made the shot would be a long day for the both of them so I asked if I could help. He gladly agreed and I helped them with checking in by phone and gave tips on the gutless method. I then packed the deer out in my pack.

I would be lying to say I was happy to have other hunters so close to my favorite spot but I think I did the right thing. I was happy to put meat in the freezer and help out some nice people.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
What a deal!!!!!!

A Bizarre and Unique hunt that youll
never forget   :thumbsup:

Pics    :dunno:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
Wow go on you congrats
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Here is my November double.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©