3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree stand use  (Read 395 times)

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree stand use
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
I've been hunting out of tree stands for quite some time now.  I've watched the ever changing market of tree stands shift for better and worse.  I've also watched many hunters over the years using these tree stands.  While it is true that accidents can happen, it is also true that they can be prevented.  In 1988 my first tree stand was a board measuring 18 inches wide by 28 inches long with the ends notched out to wedge between two trees.  I used ropes to make a ladder to get up there. I used this method for many years due to its simplicity.  I've also used the Baker for years but gave it up when the new climbing stands such as Lone Wolf came out. Climbing a tree is a very physical activity which demands preparation. It also demands awareness and non-complacency.  I've been guilty of being complacent myself.  If you are into climbing trees to hunt, do yourself a favor and prepare in the off season for this activity.  I recently got into the woods for a Friday hunt with my Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber well before daylight.  Another hunter came in after I got set up on stand and proceeded to set up about 80 yards away in gray light.  What I saw and heard was both comical and sad.  This person clanked just about every piece of metal he had just getting his climber set on the base of the tree.  He was using a sit and climb of which manufacturer I do not know.  He made the climb up to about 10 or 12 feet.  It appeared as if he gained 6 inches at a time while scraping all the bark off the tree.  When he got to his hunting height, he turned around to check his surroundings and his seat climber fell down to the platform.  when he reached down to pick it up, the platform twisted and he fell out.  Luckily he was tied in and didn't hit the ground.  But what happened next was bad, really bad, in my opinion.  He could not recover himself to get back on the platform.  He struggled for about 10 minutes before taking out an orange whistle and blow it.  I called out to him to hang tight while I came over.  I climbed up to his level with my platform so he could get on it while I climbed up to his platform and got it lowered to where he could get on.  He thanked me for being there to help him.  I told him that I watched him climb from 80 yards away.  I also told him that maybe he should not use climbers if he was not prepared to climb trees.  His response was that this was his first climber ever.  He had all the right gear for after the fall but lacked the experience and preparation to prevent the fall from ever happening.  Each year in the late summer, I practice shooting from a climber.  I climb up, six shots, I climb down, repeat.  I am no physical specimen myself, but at 49 I am still able to max out an army fitness test at the 18 year old criteria.  It is not my intent to disparage tree stand hunting at all.  I am simply saying that we should all get ourselves ready to climb and prepare for both the climbing and potential fall.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree stand use
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
Wow, sure glad you were there!  Very good points made in this post.

I was using Bakers and permanent stands in 1970 when I started bowhunting. There weren't any climbers with the Bakers in those days. You "hugged" the tree. Bow season came with a month's long "rash-abrasion" on the chest as you hugged up and down.  

I'm sure I'd be appalled at how tiny the platform was in those days. I'd attache a 20' haul line to the stand. Then I'd climb until the line became taunt. I remember using a little wire, folding seat in that stand, or an old WWII wooden ammo box.  Killed deer from those stands. Even replaced the base a couple times in 10 years. Hunting without any safety strap for years before going to the (then) popular fabric belt around the waist and tree. Glad I didn't have to depend upon it to save my life.

I never had an accident from any of those or any other stands all these years.

I have a Summit Climber now that I've owned probably 10 years. I haven't used it but 2-3 times. I much prefer lock on stands in limbs trees, especially eastern red cedars. Life lines, safety harness, suspension release, cell phone, and stand maintenance are what I employ now to keep this 62-year old body from experiencing a different kind of terminal velocity.

Foolish and ignorant decisions that I survived.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
I have been very lucky in that I have never fallen, even though it certainly could have happened. My first tree stands were also boards wedged between tree branches. I progressed to platforms nailed between tress. Some were very sparse and dangerous while others were comfortable and safe. I tried climbers but just did not like them - too damn much work. My favorite elevated stand, and the one I use almost exclusively, is a basic ladder stand. The best addition to deer stands has been safety harnesses. I had a friend who fell using only a rope tied around his waist. It was very painful, but it saved him from a nasty fall. When he told me about it, I immediately bought a proper safety vest. Oddly, this is the same guy who was nearly killed in a wreck, which convinced me to always use seat belts in the car. The only really smart thing I did in the early days was to stay away from the Baker stand. I saw a friend who used one on a power pole and grabbed around the pole when the stand slipped. He had numerous creosote splinters, but the one that really caught my attention was the big splinter in the end of his nose. I laughed, but he didn't.
Sam

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Just yesterday the conversation was about how we should all be dead because of the stupid things we did in our lives.

Hunting from trees is one of them. I started with a TSS climber, hugged the tree, no seat, waist belt, slipping and sliding. I can't believe I'm still alive.

Then came home made lock ons with home made tie on steps. We couldn't afford anything better. Again, I'm only here through the grace of God.

Eventually I could afford Lone Wolf climbing sticks, hang on, and a climber. These stands are rock solid! No more shifting every time you leaned over to spit on a chipmunk. I also used a good harness and kept safety in mind with each set up. Much better!

A few years ago I decided I didn't want to wake up at the base of a tree and wonder if my life had just changed forever. I sold it all and hunt from the ground.

Be safe, be smart, and be able to walk into the house to greet your family after the hunt.

Good thread.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Sounds like a typical day on pa state game lands..

But seriously you may have saved his life from suspension trama.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
I agree... I've hunted from climbing stands for years and I am very familiar with my stand. However, this year, in the pre-dawn darkness as I was climbing up I had my very first incident. I always climb up while attached to the tree with my safety harness. About halfway up, I stood up in my summit viper to raise my seat portion. As I reached forward to raise my safety tether, the platform of my stand slipped and dropped like a trapdoor and I dropped a couple feet before my safety caught me. I was able to get back up to my top portion and proceed with the hunt. Taking the necessary precautions before the climb are important. Tying the two stand sections together and climbing while attached to the tree are essential. If I wouldn't have been able to get back into my stand, I also had a back-up plan. I had another tether I can hook to my harness to stand in to relieve any stress and reduce the risk of suspension trauma which can start in a matter of minutes and also cause death. I also carry a knife that I can reach in case I need to cut out of a safety harness for any reason. Take the time to know your equipment before you enter the field and have a plan in case something happens. This is the first incident I've ever had, and I've used that stand for a lot of years. Please remember to let someone know where you will be also. This is one thing I need to work on. Good luck and stay safe..

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
"Please remember to let someone know where you will be also."

Good point.

My late friend had a very good method. He may have headed to "the farm", but where exactly? He had ziplock baggies with a detailed map for each of his stand locations in his truck. When he arrived he would check the wind, choose a stand, then put the appropriate map under his wiper blade.

He also left a pack with first aid, water, light, phone, etc at the base of the tree. He wanted it within reach, not hanging on a hook up in the tree.

Ed was a paramedic and had seen it all. Very safety conscious.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
One thing I do is take a screen shot with my phone showing my location on google earth or my gps coordinates and text to my wife..... Just in case

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
I had that happen as the OP said with my Sabor 'widow maker' a number of times.  I dumped my back quiver full of arrows often as well when the seat would shift.  I tried a couple of different stretch cord things, but that was in itself rather a dangerous feat for an old man with a very stiff back.  My son has gone to the lone wolf, as long as he sticks to the direction and uses his safety strap properly, it seems like a reliably safe system.   A hand climber system requires a bit of abdomen strength and hip strength, one should be prepared before hand by practicing with them, that practice is the exact exercise needed to comfortably use them.   If those physical limitations prevent making it safe and doable, I would consider the many ground options.  Mine is just a Nifty seat with my back against the right tree groupings that allow me to shoot and still break up my back ground being totally open to the deer.   Full cover is nice, but not looking a deer in the eye is better.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Reason # 999 not to use a climber in my opinion. I hate those things

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
They are a good option for leave no trace hunting on public lands.  In areas that have way too many stands  and people starting to put up many stands, attempting to claim stake public property, it will be managements only viable recourse, to go to leave no trace hunting just as they do with duck hunters.   The sooner the better for many areas in Iowa.  The tree stands are out numbering the total number of hunters and deer combined, in the NW Iowa public lands.   If more people were forced into leave no trace, I think competition and innovation will come up with more improved stand systems.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Glad you were there to help the guy out, I see way to many people buy a treestand, a day or 2 before season starts and never practice with it before the season starts and opening morning is the first time they have used the stand and wonder why these types of things happen. Most of todays stands are very safe if you use them properly and follow the manufactures guidelines and practice using them to get familiar with them. When using my climber I have started using a rock climbing harness, the safety tether hooks in the front a little above your belly button, if you do take a fall you will be hanging facing the tree and you can put your feet against the tree and hang there for a while without much discomfort. Many people think you will turn upside down if you fall using the rock climbing harness but I have tested mine many times and never turned upside down.

Rodney

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©