3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustration and the graveyard buck  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustration and the graveyard buck
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm not a story teller...but this is the story of my 2016 buck ! Enjoy !

It's pretty evident that the decisions we make every time we enter the woods determine the success or failure of each hunt. Simple decisions...big decisions, they all play a part in each and every outing even before oportunity presents itself !

Frustration and the graveyard buck....

This story starts in southern ohio, labor day weekend. A buddy and I were scouting an area of public ground I hadn't hunted since 2012. I had gained private access on bordering property that allowed access into more remote areas of the public ground. Our plan was to hang a couple of trail cameras each as well as locate some potential stand sites. Late Saturday evening we glassed the neighbors soybean field and discovered a few really nice bucks coming from the wooded public ground into the crop field, one of which really grabbed my attention. Looking thru field glasses it told my buddy I thought he was a solid 160 class 10 point. I love hunting individual bucks and I knew this one was going to be my target for the 2016 season in ohio. I'm from Virginia, so my hunt for this buck was going to be limited to a week and a half in November when my vacation was scheduled. I knew the area pretty well from past hunts and spring scouting and shed hunting trips, so that night I started pouring over topo maps trying to decipher potential stand locations and spots to hang a trail cam. 2 hardwood and cedar ridges run nearly a mile back from the bean field to a  very thick cedar and sapling choked riverbottom. I figured the thicker sections of the ridges as well as the river bottom were his bedding areas. I knew of a spot on one of the ridges where 2 cedar thickets merged together where spring scouting had revealed some large truck hood sized scrapes, so I figured that would be an excellent place for a trail cam to be placed in hopes of getting pictures of the buck. Problem was, it would be November before I'd return to check it !

Now fast forward to Nov. 9th, dad and I headed north with a camper in tow behind my trusty Duramax loaded to the gills with a week and a half's worth of gear ! Antisipation was in the air....but little did I know frustration was about to set in !

Once camp was set up I grabbed my climbing stand and headed of to the spot to where my camera was located. The wind was good and the scrapes were hot....but my trail cam was gone ! This was public ground...but my camera was not public property ! I guess someone decided they needed it worse than I did. Frustrated I climbed a good tree and hunted the rest of the evening passing a small 8 point and a doe. My plan was to stay mobile over the corse of the hunt until I found a spot worthy of spending time in. My idea of being mobile is hunting a spot for a evening and the next morning as long as the wind allowed and if I wasn't satisfied with the action I would relocate to a new spot and repeat. I hunted the next few days without a sighting of "The big 10". Each move I made was inching further down the ridges closer to the thick river bottom. I figured does were bedding in the bottom and bucks were cruzing down the thick sections of the ridges and down into the bottom in search of hot does.

Saturday Nov.12th, I hunted until midday and planned to move that evening to hunt a spot between 2 cedar thickets along one of the ridges. On my way into the spot I jumped what looked to be the big 10 which was tending a doe. This really didn't concern me much because he was much more interested in the doe than me, plus I was just glad to see that he was in fact still around. I hunted that evening and the next morning in the new spot. About mid morning I see a good 10 aprox 100 yds away traming thru some brush headed to the thick bottom. At first I thought it was the big 10 and he had broke free from the doe. I decided I was going to stay aloft my stand until 1:00 PM , then relocate to the edge of the river bottom. Sometimes I can be impatient with excitement...so I looked at my watch and the time was 12:06....I was excited to head to the bottom and get situated for the evening hunt !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustration and the graveyard buck
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
Mistake #1....always stick to your plan unless something changes and makes you decide otherwise !

I lowered my gear and was gathering my gear at the bottom of my tree when all of a sudden busting out of the cedar thicket came a doe with the big 10 hot on her tail ! I was scrambling around trying to get an arrow nocked as they were closing fast ! I came to full draw just as they stopped 20 yds from me kneeling on the ground. The buck was wide open and I was looking at him at full draw down my feather shaft.....but he was quartering too and I wasn't about to take that shot. Within seconds the doe noticed me and took off with the buck in tow ! Lesson learned ! If I'd stayed put up the tree until 1:00 like my original plan, most likely a shot would have materialized at that moment ! Needless to say frustration was building ! Good thing was they were headed to the river bottom and so was I !

Slipping into the river bottom, I had a predetermined spot I was wanting to setup. It was where the drainage between the two long ridges emptied out into the bottom. Perfect spot, but the perfect tree was on the upwind side of the trails, so I was forced to hunt on the side I didn't prefer. Once situated the wait began. I knew if they were still in this bottom, chances were good they would make there way by me and back up the ridges. Just as the sun set over the ridge I could feel the wind change 180 degrees....and I knew this wasn't going to be good ! I'd been better off in the "perfect tree" now. Just as the wind changed directions I could hear the buck in the bottom start chasing the doe again. He was really putting on a show from what I could hear ! Within minutes they were making there way in my direction....and I was in discust with what I knew was about to happen ! Sure enough the buck pushes the doe in my direction. Closing fast I was preparing for the shot.....the doe runs right under me and stops ! At this point the buck is standing 10 yds from the perfect tree and broadside.....30 yds from where I'm up a tree with no shot oportunity ! Praying they doe would move on thru with him in tow ! Prayer didn't work...at least not this time ! The doe sprinted back the direction they came with the buck hot on her tail ! It was something to see....him cutting her like a rodeo horse cutting cattle and that big rack busting thru brush ! I was sick.....oportunity #2 in the same day.....mistake #2, should have hunted the perfect tree regardless of the wind direction  ! Lol....but that was the best decision at the moment !

I hunted the bottom for a couple more days without a sighting of the buck, so I decided to move back up on the ridges. The spot I chose was in a late 1700's early 1800's graveyard. It was situated between 2 cedar thickets and was grown up with briars, rose bushes and small locust trees. I had found this spot while shed hunting a few years ago and knew it would be a great spot ! As I was slipping into the spot I noticed several leg sized rubs as well as a very large single bed on a small point over looking the river....I knew I had hit pay dirt...if time allowed ! The tree I chose was a very large cedar that was actually feet from a 8' tall grave marker. As I was setting in the tree I looked at the grave sites and thought of the people that were buried there and the ones who stood around there Graves mourning !

The first  evening and morning hunts didn't produce a sighting of the buck, but each passing hunt the bucks that passed buy seemed to get bigger !

Morning #3 broke like all the rest before with a light frost and cool calm air. Time was running out, but my hopes were still high that God was going to deliver the big 10 to me. Just after daybreak I could hear aproaching foot steps, it was a mature doe. She was on a trail that wound thru the thick stuff which passed withing 15 yds of my tree. She was taking her time feeding and browsing. Within moments of her arrival I could hear another deer aproaching from the same direction,  but I could tell this was no female deer !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »

My stand over looking the Grave markers

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »

The very large and well used single bed on the point over looking the river.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »

One of the many large rubs in the area.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
His heavy footsteps and grunting gave his sex away ! Before he was within sight he stopped and I could hear him thrashing a tree ! I was ready with bow in hand. As he appeared I could tell it was the source of the past few days frustration...the big 10 ! He was closing fast trailing the doe. I decided the very first oportunity I got to loose an arrow I was going to take ! At approximately 20 yds  as he was passing behind a cedar I came to full draw....and it happened....the doe blows ! Not sure if she seen me or got wind of me but she was about to wreck another oportunity  ! Needless to say the buck locks up dead in his tracks...and behind the cedar tree and I'm at full draw ! I'm afraid to let off in fear of the doe busting out of there taking the buck with her ! Luckily the cedar he was behind was thin branched and I knew I could put and arrow thru there ! Burning a hole thru the bucks side I released and instantly the buck lost his legs and hit the ground....spine shot ! I wasted no time as I pumped 2 more shafts into him tight behind his shoulder ! It was finally over....I praised God and thanked him for delivering the great buck to me ! I had faith.....and was relieved after a week of frustrating lows, and now an incredible high !

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »

And the product of my weeks frustration....the big 10 !

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Atta'boy
Never give up.....that is a beast
Tim

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Wow what a buck congrats
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
Congratulations once again Nathan on a stud of a buck and a job well done...way to stick with him and close the deal!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Great story and fantastic buck!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Wow,What a stud!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Amazing story and deer Brother. He looks better every time I look at him. Glad you finally crossed paths.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Eden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
Wow, what a deer!!  great story, congrats!

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
That is a fantastic Buck.....Congrats!

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Congrats on a great deer....! Thanks for sharing your story.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
Nathan,I think he needed one more year to truly reach his potential! Guys,Nathan and I met through this site 4 years ago and I am forever greatful for that. Wasn't long before we started hunting together. I consider myself a hard hunter but Nathan takes it to another level.they don't call him mountain goat for nothing.  Well done bud, you truly deserved an opportunity at this buck.    Your flatlanded and funny talking blood brother.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Beautiful deer! Congrats!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
Great buck! Congrats to you! He is a stud!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©