3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bike Hauling  (Read 644 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Bike Hauling
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm heading into the bush for a few days soon and will be taking a bike for the first 3-4 miles of the trek, followed by another mile or so of hiking before I can setup camp.  It's an either sex hunt in an area that has deer (and turkey and pigs) and that should give me at least a good probability of a shot at something.  My bike has a cargo rack on the back that can take a little weight.  The terrain is steep but has a nice downhill ride on the way out.

I'd like to get as much of the carcass out as possible (if I am successful).  I can ditch most of the bones (I want some for bone broth) but wouldn't mind keeping some sinew and the hide as well as every possible scrap of meat.  Any ideas how to strap a deer up to a bike to use it as a sort of improv game cart?  Or should I just plan on a couple trips with my backpack if I get something?

This is a solo hunt -- no buddies to help and, if I'm lucky, no other hunters around.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bike Hauling
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Maybe some sort of pvc travois, or something like those kid carts that go behind a bike.  Probably cant pull a travois with the bike unless the trail is smooth and even, but itll be lightweight and cheap.  Just leave it at the trail head, and if you kill something, pack out your stuff on the bike, then hike back in and get your deer.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
You may find that if you use a travois or trailer arrangement to haul out your animal, you may need to walk the bike out rather than try to ride it with a very heavy load. I agree that this may be a good idea for carrying out the load.
Sam

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
[/URL]

Granted these Sika deer are smaller. But it was an easy haul out.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve Kendrot:
 [/URL]

Granted these Sika deer are smaller. But it was an easy haul out.
Steve, I like that idea.  Simple.  Effective.

The travois idea may work as well.  I know where there are some downed saplings at the wilderness boundary that can serve that purpose.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Jay Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
There's a bike trailer called a b.o.b. (beast of burden) My son had one and it worked great.
Google it.
JAY BURTCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©