3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missing Deer by not picking a spot.  (Read 1793 times)

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
Re: Missing Deer by not picking a spot.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
Preston and Dan, thanks for the compliments on  A Traditional Bowhunter\\'s Path

I love this stuff and it's great to be able to help other hunters with the same problems that I have struggled with over the years.
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
A few years back and I still remember the shot, I had a big 10 at 14 yards. I remember bearing down picking a spot and putting arrow right were I was looking. The shot was a very slight quartering to me almost perfectly broad side and he didn't go 40 yards. I remember when he ran away I was thinking poor penetration. But when I inspected the deer the arrow broke the off side leg and came back so fast it didn't look like it went in much. I could see him from my tree. Other shots not so much concentration but that one I remember.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
Yep; I have shot over one due to not picking a spot.
SWA Spyder

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by bucknut:
Last year I was so focused on watching the bucks head while drawing to see if it was looking at me, that I shot it right in the neck below the jaw. Non Fatal hit. Made me sick! But I shot right where I was looking. Lesson learned the hard way!
I feel your pain! One year on Long Island I got busted by 14 different deer. I had permission to hunt an area with just small trees and they busted me every time. Finally moved my stand into a tree with a lot of branches that limited my shooting but gave me cover. Well it still took me a long time to not be nervous that the deer were going to spot me when I drew. Missed two deer drawing and shooting fast before I got over that.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
Another thing that is a personal thing is that on hogs I always pick a spot since the kill zone is much smaller and I don't think they will see me draw. For deer I have to force myself to bear down and draw slowly and pick a spot.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
I have struggled with it for years. It's definitely the main reason I miss game. I have considered getting a bow tapped for a single sight pin because of this. I know that isn't for everyone but I don't think it's cheating to use a single pin to force you to pick a spot. It's something I may look into one of these days.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Personally,  i think picking a spot to shoot at is best to do even with a sight. Every form of aiming requires it in order to be as consistent as possible.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
All of us have been there.  Yes, the biggest reason in my opinion is, not "focusing on the spot".  Along with that overthinking the shot.  If you practice all year round, and focus on the spot, your arrow will go there.  I had a friend that struggled with this and I worked with him the whole year, the next season, she smoked three of them.  To me, if I decide that I am going to shoot the animal, the rest of the world is tuned out, I focus on the spot, the next thing I know the "shot" just happened.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
What has helped me was practicing on a very realistic 3D target. You need to train your mind to focus on the spot you want to hit on your target animal. Using a 3D target with no markings (or very faint ones) has helped me tremendously.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
According to Jay Kidwell it is a type of target panic- he addresses it his Sports Pysch book on Trad archery- "Instinctive Archery Insights."  I have had the issue for years- its even got a name- "stimulus confusion."  It did not matter what I did- once I began to draw on an animal I would look at the entire "shoulder."  For the most part I have resolved it with the "button technique."  Has worked wonders for me.  I never "pick a spot" on anything.  I shoot year round at an orange dot (sticker.).  When I stump shoot I impose that orange 1.5" sticker on anything I shoot.  It never changes.  My mind never knows the difference.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Dan is "spot on"...no pun intended.

Jay Kidwell's book, "Instinctive Archery Insights," contains a wealth of information. His teachings have really helped me over the years.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
Wearing out a nice 3d target is super good practice for hunting.

I never could get use to picking a spot. I stare a hole in the animal in the exact spot where my arrow should hit. I become the arrow. I draw, anchor and visualize my arrow entering the animal in the exact spot. I sort of see it before it happens. I even feel the arrow exiting the animal. Whatever works, I guess.
N/A

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Keep your head down when shooting and pick the spot. Too often the eyes get distracted observing the whole animal - in doing so your head will rise just enough to change what you think is your point of aim. Happened more times to me than I care to admit till I figured out what I was doing wrong. Went from slam dunk to "how the heck did I miss that 8 yard shot?"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
I have trouble when the animal is moving. I have stands in cover and the animals will move thru my shooting lanes without stopping and I end up rushing the shot and not picking a spot. To me it is a timing problem. Next time I'm going to draw before they hit the opening and hold waiting for them to walk into the opening. Hopefully that works. If they stop in the opening or there is an open shot I don't seem to have a problem.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Picking a spot is very simple when the deer is made of foam. However, when the adrenaline kicks in, eyesight and motor skills go to hell in a hand basket. The excitement of the moment overrides our discipline and concentration. Other than that, you simply look at the place you want the arrow to strike. It sounds so easy - I just wish I could do that.
Sam

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
Building a shot sequence is really helpful in picking and staying focused on a spot, and allowing your mind to effectively multitask, which is required for good shooting.

After you've accomplished one task in your shot sequence, you're free to forget about it and move on to the next, allowing you to stay focused.

After you practice building your shot it will become second nature and fast for hunting situations.

Here is the shot sequence that I use:

1. Pick my aiming spot, such as a hair that’s out of place or a ripple of muscle.

2. Position my bow arm so that the arrow is pointing slightly below my aiming spot.

3. Draw to my first anchor while raising my bow arm into shooting position.

4. Refocus on my spot with all the concentration I have, giving everything to the spot.

5. Pull through to my second anchor and release in one motion.

The short-hand that I use in my head while hunting is: spot, bow arm, first anchor, spot, second anchor.

My release happens automatically.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
It may sound stupid, but I have done this and the few people who had issue's had them do it with success.  After one is competent at shooting and feeling good, Do either 20 pushups, or 20 bend and thrusts, pick up the bow and arrow and make the shot.  The whole point is to get the heart racing and "mimic" pressure.  Which in turn one learns to "focus" more under stress and control breathing.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by toddster:
...After one is competent at shooting and feeling good, Do either 20 pushups, or 20 bend and thrusts, pick up the bow and arrow and make the shot.  The whole point is to get the heart racing and "mimic" pressure. ...
Another variation on this I heard from a very successful 3D shooting.  He and his group of buddies would heckle, scream, laugh, and yell at each other during their shot sequence throughout the practice session which forced the shooter to focus on the shot with many other distractions and stimuli.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Picking a spot while leaping off a 5 story bridge into a swamp full of swarming moccasins and being bit by killer bees the whole decent....would probably be what it takes to simulate my adrenaline rush at the time of the shot!  LOL!!   Actually, I agree with the ideas of It-m-grow and sometimes me and my buddy do that.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Not all techniques work for all.

I attempt to pick the smallest spot prior to starting the shot execution and maintain focus throughout the shot execution until the arrow has reached its mark.

If picking the spot is programmed to be the first move, then it should be much more difficult to leave behind. Have shot numerous game that beyond identifying a targeted animal, all I can recall is the spot. Just like the stag in the avatar, I never looked at the animal until he stumbled after the arrow found its mark.
I like this!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©