3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BE DILIGENT!!  (Read 529 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
BE DILIGENT!!
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
I'd like to share a story regarding a hunting experience that I recently had.

I shot at a deer yesterday.  The nicest buck I've ever shot at.  He was completely broadside, unaware of my presence a mere 16 yards away.  I shot, all the while focusing on a spot on his chest cavity.  Immediately after the shot my first thought was "HOW DID I MISS?!"

I let a few minutes go by all the while getting more mad and disgusted with myself before I got down to inspect the arrow.

Here's where the diligence comes in.  I couldn't find my arrow.  I thought for sure I had shot over his back.  But now I couldn't find my arrow.

For the next 3 hours I replayed my shot, his reaction and the noise he made after the shot, wondering if maybe I didn't miss and made a horrible shot.  I searched this whole time for my arrow, blood, anything.  I couldn't find a thing!  No hair, nothing.

I went home last night ready to sell my bow and everything that goes with it.  My first thought this morning when I woke up was to go look again.  I felt I owed it to the animal and myself.

My biggest dilemma was that this all took place on public land and I didn't want to wreck someone else's vacation time/hunting by walking around.  But I suppose that goes with the whole public land experience.

So I went in and searched for three more hours.  I cleared the leaves behind where the deer had been standing, down to the dirt.  I searched the swamp he ran into.  Fortunately never seeing another hunter.  As I made my way back to the scene of my demise I gave the area behind where the deer was standing one more dejected kick.  As I did I caught a glimpse of orange!  I FOUND IT!!!

I pulled it out of the leaf litter and inspected the arrow.  A CLEAN MISS!!  I have never been more happy to miss a deer!

I share all this to encourage everyone to follow up their shots, regardless of the outcomes.  We owe it to the animals we hunt and our reputation as hunters to do our due diligence.

I was ready to punch my buck tag and just practice shooting from here on out.  Not now, I've got a date with a tree and a buck!

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BE DILIGENT!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Oh jeez, I also forgot to mention that a very good friend allowed me to vent, call him for advice and listen to my stupid self.  All the while he encouraged me.

Thank you Dennis, a.k.a. Longbow fanatic 1, for your patience, encouragement, and not berating me for missing like I have to you!

What a great friend to have.

-Jeremy   :coffee:

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
Dude, that ain't likely to be the last time you miss either! Missing stinks, and hitting one bad stinks even worse! Just be glad it was a clean miss, reflect on the shot and see if there is anything you can learn from it, and get back out there make a good shot on you next critter!

Bisch

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Determination has probably killed me more deer than skill and luck combined. Stick with that mindset and at the end of the season you will feel good no matter the outcome.

Too many people give up too quickly on everything these days.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
You have an amazing attitude about hunting and I feel like more people could be more in tune to what you speak of!
Mother Nature is my religion. Tooth fang and claw.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Can I make a suggestion, I shoot three pink feathers on a hot pink arrow wrap.I have good young eyes,but sometimes it's just hard to see your arrow. I shot reflective wraps for two seasons,but felt like they were beacons when then sun hit them. The good thing about them is that you can easily find your arrow with a flashlight. So now I have a 5/8" strip of wrap at my nocks. Been working great. Might get some boos but lighted nocks are great for seeing where that arrow hits. Hope this helps!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Good attitude my friend! Keep up the determination and I'm sure it will pay off

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
One time i took about a 25 yd shot at a button buck and i knew it was a clean miss and so did my dad because he was standing right beside me and saw the miss. When we went to the exact spot the arrow was we could not find the damn thing. I swear we searched for about an hour for that arrow and swept about every leaf in the area out looking for it. Finally we gave up and started walking out on the trail we came in on. About 20 yds from where we had been lookin was my arrow laying in the middle of the trail as if someone had placed it there. The arrow had somehow taken a 90 degree turn to the left of where the deer was standing. I never figured out how this happened but i was glad to find my arrow. I really hate losing arrows.

Sorry about the miss man.  Glad you found your arrow and now you know he is still out there for sure.

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Good  story to share.  Thanks Jeremy.  You'll get the next one.
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement and advice.  I have thought of lighted nocks but they don't work with my wood arrows.  Although I do have some carbon arrows downstairs that need to be tuned.

I have also given thought to reflective wraps.  I think I will try that before the lighted nocks.

I also thought a string tracker would've been VERY helpful and they're legal in my state.

I have replayed the shot and am fairly sure I know what I did.  First I don't practice much from an elevated platform.  I probably shouldve "aimed" a little lower.

Secondly I was using a tab when I usally shoot with a glove.  My glove was squeeking when I would draw back and thought that sound might alert a deer.

Third I didn't stand up.  I stayed seated and I believe that threw off my alignment.  My left and right were good.  The north and south was off.

But yes, I will be back and hope the buck forgets what happened by next Monday.    :pray:    

-Jeremy    :coffee:

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »
great post. I know not for u in this situation it's not the answer but that's exactly why I use lighted nocks. Make own bows, strings, fletching (wild turkey) etc but I use carbon arrows and lighted nocks. Nocturnal to be be exact!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »
I commend you and your due diligence.
   Years ago I was a gun Hunter. I hunted for 8 or 9 years with a group of friends. One Oct morning while driving a back road we saw a bull elk a couple hundred yards off the road, standing in a small opening.  One of the men took a shot.  After the shot elk walked into the near by woods.  I suggested/insisted we follow up the shot by walking over and look for blood.  He did not want to walk all the way over there... he got in the truck and we drove off.
That was the last time I hunted with them.
Again good job.. proud of you.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 01:41:00 AM »
Awesome story. I have been frustrated more than once by hunting buddies who were either "in a hurry" or "didn't want to mess up the area" and didn't want to search the area on a probable miss. always makes me mad.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
Excellent follow-up ethic!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Well done.    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
:clapper:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Just recently I shot at a little doe, I'm sure I heard the arrow make that sickening noise as it slices through flesh.  So I waited half an hour and walked the trail she had run down.  I was so sure I'd find her just around the corner but as I walked I couldn't even find a drop of blood and those three blades leave a good blood trail but nothing!   Finally I went back to up where I should have started and found the arrow, it was clean and sticking deep into the dirt.  Like the OP I was glad indeed to find that arrow and know it was a clean miss.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©