3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever fix stuff with what ya got?  (Read 407 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ever fix stuff with what ya got?
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
I took no pics but thought it worked well. Last turkey season, I put my Dbl Bull up for the first time since I traded for it, long story short, I used a little too much force and not enuff mental capacity.

Broke the rod, then the insert in top hub that holds the rod.     :o  

I have turkeys that are in same spot every morn and night now.   So while ago I thought, I'm gonna fix that....

First I made a rod from a 4' fiberglass electric fence post, then made the insert for the hub with a pc of soft copper plumbing pipe leaning in corner of barn.(gotta be as good as plastic, right?) Cut it to length and made the pin that holds in hub with a scrap of welding rod. Drilled thru the length of copper and stuck the cut to length welding rod thru it.

Since it was only 1/8" from the end, I just heated the rod and copper and stuck a Big Jim's low temp melt down in the copper til it was around the rod. Let cool a bit, and cut it off flush with my pocket knife.

Now to see if it works, heck yes, perfectly and didn't have to fuss with ordering a hub and rod.    :bigsmyl:    

Now gonna go pop it up (if I can be gentle this time) and see if somebody can shoot a turkey out of it.

Mike, Steve, Tim , anybody up for it?    :goldtooth:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever fix stuff with what ya got?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Necessity.... is the mother of invention.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Kenny, pic out a good spot on south lease and I'll try it out for you!!  Lots of turkey there that need killed.  HaHa

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
I took no pics but thought it worked well. Last turkey season, I put my Dbl Bull up for the first time since I traded for it, long story short, I used a little too much force and not enuff mental capacity.

Broke the rod, then the insert in top hub that holds the rod.  

I have turkeys that are in same spot every morn and night now. So while ago I thought, I'm gonna fix that....

First I made a rod from a 4' fiberglass electric fence post, then made the insert for the hub with a pc of soft copper plumbing pipe leaning in corner of barn.(gotta be as good as plastic, right?) Cut it to length and made the pin that holds in hub with a scrap of welding rod. Drilled thru the length of copper and stuck the cut to length welding rod thru it.

Since it was only 1/8" from the end, I just heated the rod and copper and stuck a Big Jim's low temp melt down in the copper til it was around the rod. Let cool a bit, and cut it off flush with my pocket knife.

Now to see if it works, heck yes, perfectly and didn't have to fuss with ordering a hub and rod.  

Now gonna go pop it up (if I can be gentle this time) and see if somebody can shoot a turkey out of it.

Geeze ole timer... Didn't happen wifout pichers.. You know better than dat.. I thunk..   :)

LOL, I had too redneck fix my blind too after a big ole tree fell onto it. I used smooth on and a river cane shaft, with a couple cable ties...   :)

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks Kenny!  I need to make same repair; haven't been as resourceful as you!  Great Idea, an I'm on it!
Ron Roman

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Kenny, I had some marriages that I did some fixin' on from time to time. Hot melt didn't help much thou. Least now I can hunt when I want to turkeys or no.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
Not sure hot melt works on lips, bet we have all wondered!   :laughing:  

You're welcome Ron. I think I just got lucky, it worked the first try!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I seem to be digging thru my buckets in the garage quite often when I need to make an on-the-spot repair of something I just broke or messed up!

Good thinking, Kenny!

Bisch

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Improvise.....Adapt.....Overcome !!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Note: some of the newer DoubleBulls have lifetime guarantees on the rods.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Note: some of the newer DoubleBulls have lifetime guarantees on the rods.
I actually don't know the age of this one. But, I did look up the number to Primos , but never got around to calling them.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©