3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My HUGE (197") Suprise!!!  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
My HUGE (197") Suprise!!!
« on: November 23, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Well last year I killed my biggest buck ever with my Schafer recurve that grossed 160", on November 21st this year I shot a buck that is bigger than I ever thought I would get a shot at in my lifetime!

To start the day of Nov 21st I was running late because of baby sitter problems and staying home to help just a little bit to keep the wife happy! I ended up getting to he spot I wanted to hunt around 9am, I drove past the spot I normally park so I could turn around and park in the ditch. About 100 yards from where I park on the other side of the fence row there was a doe, small buck and a mid 130's 9pt standing in a grown up field! The doe was hot and the bigger buck was keeping her to himself not letting the smaller buck anywhere close to her. I parked my truck changed into my hunting clothes and made my way to the fence row with my longbow in hand. I got the the fence row and peaked around the corner, the bigger buck and doe where still there! The smaller buck decided he had no chance and was walking away from us across the field. With the bigger bucks attention on the doe and the small buck I slipped down the fence row as quietly as possible. I slipped my boots off so I could feel every stem and leaf I put my foot on, finally I was at 40 yards from them! I decided to be aggressive and grunt a few times to see if I could pull the buck closer, it didn't phase him at all. So I sat there and waited till the doe finally started to walk my way with the buck in tow. She knew something wasn't right but I had the wind in my face and my Asat camo was working pretty good. Finally at around 20 yards she got nervous enough that she took a couple bounds and stopped, the buck didn't know what was going on so he trotted over to her but stayed further out behind her. He was at 30 yards broadside and I decided to take the shot, I drew back and hit anchor while focusing on a spot tight behind the shoulder. The string slipped from my finder tips and the arrow was on it's way, he spun away from me at the shot and when the arrow hit him I heard a loud crack. You guessed it, I hit him in the shoulder blade!!! I watched the doe and buck run at least 200 yard till they vanished into thicker cover. I marked where I saw them last and went to get my boots, one thing I noticed while he was running away from me was it looked like my whole arrow was hanging off his side. I knew this probably wasn't a fatal shot but I went to where I last saw them to look for blood. I ended up finding just a few very little spots of blood that I followed for a short distance and couldn't find anymore blood. I was about 350 yards from where I shot him and he never bedded down and didn't seem to slow down at all. I looked for 5 hours and decided it was a non lethal shot.

I made it back to the truck grabbed a snack and a drink then headed in to the spot I wanted to hunt that morning. By time I got my stand hung and everything set up it was 3pm, it was a little windy but every now and then it would calm down for a few minutes. Every time it would calm down I would do a series of grunts, well it was a very nice day out and I was just enoying being in the woods but I was replaying the shot from that morning over and over. Around 4:30 the wind died down and I did my series of grunts, I just got my call in my pocket when I heard something coming down the hill behind me. I turned and looked behind me to see a huge buck coming right at me with his nose to the ground the whole time. I had a big ditch between us but he crossed with out thinking about it! He was 15 yards behind me and he lip curled 3 times while facing me!!! Finally he turned to his right and was broadside, if he went another 5-10 yards he would be in my wind. It was time to shoot! I focused on a tuff of hair right in his armpit and hit anchor, somehow I kept my focus even though this was the biggest buck I've ever drawn back on. I hit anchor and everything felt right, the string slipped from my fingers and the arrow was on it's way. The top limb of my bow hit a limb off a small tree to my right hard enough to knock a arrow loose from the gripper on my quiver! Before I could blink I saw the arrow disappear tight to his shoulder and I instantly knew he was dead! He was on a death run but only made it 35 yards before he crashed in the ditch behind me and I didn't hear anything after that, he was mine! I started shaking, couldn't hardly talk, thought I was going to throw up all at the same time, I just killed the biggest buck of my life!! I called a few friends and my wife to tell them the exciting news then went to go see him. I thought for sure he was in the 170's but once we started adding everything up he blew my mind! He has everything, mass, tine length and extra points. I'm still in shock but I'm so thankful, so now my 2016 season is pretty much done. I killed 2 big does earlier in the season and now this guy, I love bowhunting the Trad gear. I've been hunting with a longbow or recurve now for about 12 years and all my hard work is paying off the last couple of years. I killed a gross 160" last year with my recurve and now this guy, I don't think it can get any better!!! I was using a Big Stick Assassin 62" 55@28 with a Cutthroat broadhead for a 600gr arrow total weight.

Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My HUGE (197") Suprise!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Man what a HUGE Surprise!!!!!!

STUDE, TOAD, PIG, SLOBER KNOCKER, MONSTER.....
Hes all thee above   :thumbsup:

:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
What a horse!!!!! Congrats, awesome buck!!!!

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
Congrats. Thats another dandy buck.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Skates

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
:eek:     :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
A magnificent buck...

The magical opportunity met preparedness.

Congrats!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
Egad!   :thumbsup:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
My goodness!!! A Trojan horse.

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
Congrats!!!!!!!
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longbowlogan:
Well last year I killed my biggest buck ever with my Schafer recurve that grossed 160", on November 21st this year I shot a buck that is bigger than I ever thought I would get a shot at in my lifetime!

To start the day of Nov 21st I was running late because of baby sitter problems and staying home to help just a little bit to keep the wife happy! I ended up getting to he spot I wanted to hunt around 9am, I drove past the spot I normally park so I could turn around and park in the ditch. About 100 yards from where I park on the other side of the fence row there was a doe, small buck and a mid 130's 9pt standing in a grown up field! The doe was hot and the bigger buck was keeping her to himself not letting the smaller buck anywhere close to her. I parked my truck changed into my hunting clothes and made my way to the fence row with my longbow in hand. I got the the fence row and peaked around the corner, the bigger buck and doe where still there! The smaller buck decided he had no chance and was walking away from us across the field. With the bigger bucks attention on the doe and the small buck I slipped down the fence row as quietly as possible. I slipped my boots off so I could feel every stem and leaf I put my foot on, finally I was at 40 yards from them! I decided to be aggressive and grunt a few times to see if I could pull the buck closer, it didn't phase him at all. So I sat there and waited till the doe finally started to walk my way with the buck in tow. She knew something wasn't right but I had the wind in my face and my Asat camo was working pretty good. Finally at around 20 yards she got nervous enough that she took a couple bounds and stopped, the buck didn't know what was going on so he trotted over to her but stayed further out behind her. He was at 30 yards broadside and I decided to take the shot, I drew back and hit anchor while focusing on a spot tight behind the shoulder. The string slipped from my finder tips and the arrow was on it's way, he spun away from me at the shot and when the arrow hit him I heard a loud crack. You guessed it, I hit him in the shoulder blade!!! I watched the doe and buck run at least 200 yard till they vanished into thicker cover. I marked where I saw them last and went to get my boots, one thing I noticed while he was running away from me was it looked like my whole arrow was hanging off his side. I knew this probably wasn't a fatal shot but I went to where I last saw them to look for blood. I ended up finding just a few very little spots of blood that I followed for a short distance and couldn't find anymore blood. I was about 350 yards from where I shot him and he never bedded down and didn't seem to slow down at all. I looked for 5 hours and decided it was a non lethal shot.

I made it back to the truck grabbed a snack and a drink then headed in to the spot I wanted to hunt that morning. By time I got my stand hung and everything set up it was 3pm, it was a little windy but every now and then it would calm down for a few minutes. Every time it would calm down I would do a series of grunts, well it was a very nice day out and I was just enoying being in the woods but I was replaying the shot from that morning over and over. Around 4:30 the wind died down and I did my series of grunts, I just got my call in my pocket when I heard something coming down the hill behind me. I turned and looked behind me to see a huge buck coming right at me with his nose to the ground the whole time. I had a big ditch between us but he crossed with out thinking about it! He was 15 yards behind me and he lip curled 3 times while facing me!!! Finally he turned to his right and was broadside, if he went another 5-10 yards he would be in my wind. It was time to shoot! I focused on a tuff of hair right in his armpit and hit anchor, somehow I kept my focus even though this was the biggest buck I've ever drawn back on. I hit anchor and everything felt right, the string slipped from my fingers and the arrow was on it's way. The top limb of my bow hit a limb off a small tree to my right hard enough to knock a arrow loose from the gripper on my quiver! Before I could blink I saw the arrow disappear tight to his shoulder and I instantly knew he was dead! He was on a death run but only made it 35 yards before he crashed in the ditch behind me and I didn't hear anything after that, he was mine! I started shaking, couldn't hardly talk, thought I was going to throw up all at the same time, I just killed the biggest buck of my life!! I called a few friends and my wife to tell them the exciting news then went to go see him. I thought for sure he was in the 170's but once we started adding everything up he blew my mind! He has everything, mass, tine length and extra points. I'm still in shock but I'm so thankful, so now my 2016 season is pretty much done. I killed 2 big does earlier in the season and now this guy, I love bowhunting the Trad gear. I've been hunting with a longbow or recurve now for about 12 years and all my hard work is paying off the last couple of years. I killed a gross 160" last year with my recurve and now this guy, I don't think it can get any better!!! I was using a Big Stick Assassin 62" 55@28 with a Cutthroat broadhead for a 600gr arrow total weight.

Was the first buck that was shot in the shoulder shot with the cutthroat as well? I thought the single bevel was the remedy for shoulders??

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
OMG. What a beautiful animal. Congrats.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline NANUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
Congrats Bro!!!
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
Congrats on a great buck!  Ken

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
So cool, did you know he was that big, that is a big number "193".  wow, congrats
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm speechless....
Tim

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]Was the first buck that was shot in the shoulder shot with the cutthroat as well? I thought the single bevel was the remedy for shoulders?? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes he was shot with a Cutthroat but when I shot he whirled away from my taking a lot of momentum away from my arrow. I think if he wouldn't have whirled away from me I would have got through the shoulder and would have killed him. That's just my thought.

PBS Associate member

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:
So cool, did you know he was that big, that is a big number "193".  wow, congrats
I had no idea he was that big, my first thought was I just killed a 170" whitetail but I was blown away when we measured him!!!

PBS Associate member

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Beautiful buck. Congrats!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
What a magnificent whitetail... Well done & congrats   :clapper:

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
That's the kind of animal that keeps me out there!!!  Congrats and thanks for sharing!    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©