3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustrated...  (Read 1013 times)

Offline nipperlud

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrated...
« on: November 24, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
Went out today and had a spike come by and I missed him at 13 yards...He even gave me another shot at 20 yards and I missed again......guess he is ment to live.....ugh.
cl

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
It happens.
.I posted about 3 years ago about a complete fail on a Big MO 8 point.

Missed 4 times!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Hang in there, it really is hunting the hard way but when it all comes together, it is so much better.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gordon Jabben:
Hang in there, it really is hunting the hard way but when it all comes together, it is so much better.
Get off of your high horse.
 Nipper- If you aren't missing you aren't shooting.  It happens to everyone, no matter what you are using.  Killing something is just an extension of an already successful hunt.  Keep us posted and have fun.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Hey nipperlud, hang in there! I'm still working on my first trad harvest. Good luck with ghetto rest of the season. What part of ny are you in?
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
I have some absolutely epic misses to my credit.

A couple of years ago I had a doe come in and pose at 17 yards. I shot over her back. I remember thinking that I'd probably never get a chance like that again AND that I'd surely never make the same mistake again.

Son of a gun if she didn't circle around and pose in just about the exact same spot again.

Guess what? I made the same shot again. My two arrows sat there stuck in the mud mere inches apart.

I was grouping them that day, LOL. If only I could have got the group on the deer!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Heck that's nothing. I was in a tree stand one night and had 3 bucks come in together, an 8 point a 6 point, and a spike. Shot over the 8 point, then shot under the 6 point, then shot over the spike, all this happened in about 45 seconds. All I could do was laugh...

Offline nipperlud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
PeteA I sent you message
cl

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
YES!!!.... funny how I made the exact same shot as the first miss of the buck ....a heart shot doe an hour after the epic fail.....6 yards recovery.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
Yep, I have been there also. I had a doe run in front of me at about 16 yards with a nice 8 point in tow. I shot just under him. I laughed and said man I wish I could get that shot again. Just about that time a 6 point came through following them. He gave me the same shot and yep I shot right under him too. All I could do was laugh again in disbelief. I was hunting on the ground sitting against a old rotten stump. That was a great hunt!!! Then a couple of years later I had a close shot at a doe maybe 15 yards, I shot under her she took a few steps and I shot under her again. She walked around behind me and came out right under my stand I let her get about 10 yards out and finally connected with my 3rd arrow. She wen about another 10 yards looked around and fell over. What a great hunt. Keep at it eventually it will happen. Stick bow hunting is Awesome!!!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
My epic misses (and there are more that I could tell of, don't tell the whole story.

Last Sunday, I didn't miss (for a nice change of pace).

I counted 16 pace from where I sat to where I found the arrow. The buck staggered a few steps toward me and went down right next to my tripod. Maybe a 3 yard recovery?

He went down so fast I thought maybe a neighbor shot him with a rifle or something. I wasn't going to believe I did it until I found the arrow. LOL

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
I missed the first 9 deer I shot at with trad equipment before I hit(1st a shoulder shot, deer survived) one. The next one was recovered after a shot at 8' from my tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
This year the first part of my hunting season was limited due to an injury of my left SI joint and possible hip fracture from twisting while  over lifting.    Then the first day out for deer, i had a platoon of deer come by and I did not want to end my season, besides, it took everything I had to get to that spot that day.   Then later in the month I alerted a 155, as it turns out, 9 pointer to my presence by waving at one the meanest and meatiest mosquitoes that I have ever met.   then the other day a doe and her fawns came by while I was eating my apple.  The most pleasant company that I have had all week, I couldn't shoot.  They were joined by a tall handsome young fellow, I still couldn't shoot.  I must be getting soft or maybe I'm not cold enough while hunting.  Numb fingers and chills makes me a little vicious, maybe late season will be different.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
I guess I can understand not wanting to shoot.

A couple of weeks ago I missed a nice buck and, once I found my arrow and confirmed a miss, it didn't bother me too much. He was something to see and I don't know how I missed...no excuses.

The buck I took was in some thickets where I usually don't even think of shooting but he had a busted back leg that was just hanging and a pathetic rack that must have been busted up in the same car accident that took his leg. I never noticed a "shooting hole" there before but I saw one and took advantage.

It was a bitter sweet end to a long spell of tag soup. LOL but aside from feeding themselves, what is the function of a predator?

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Keep after them. Your time will come!

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
Talk about missing, I took only one shot at a dove this year with a bow, I hit the ground a good foot in front of it and hit it on the skip.  He tasted fine on a bun hammered flat, seasoned and cooked with a stick fire in my backyard fire pit.  Prior that i shot at one with my single shot 410 three times, low, at less than thirty yards, while it was sitting on top of a round bale, I have never figured out what my point was with that thing. That poor poor round bale, the dove just sat there and laughed at me.  I am sticking to bows and sling shots, at least I can tell how bad I miss with those.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 12:52:00 AM »
He'll be back, after missing two shots he's probably not to threatened.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
Hang in there, you will connect.  You know after all these years of bowhunting, still have misses.  But, I was got educated, long time ago, that one must be out there and enjoy the expeirance.  I learn more from my mistakes, which is extremley valuable for the next time.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Misses happen. It is part of this game. Last year, I missed 3 different does in one morning. Don't have a clue what I was doing. The 4th shot that morning was perfect, and I watched that doe go down in sight.

When I mess up and miss, I'm mad at myself, but always thankful for the clean miss and that it was not a bad hit!

Better luck next time out!

Bisch

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Its funny this thread popped up. I missed a nice quartering away shot at a doe this morning. Sometimes its like you black out when an animal comes in and you totally forget everything you do out in the yard.

The good news is she is still out there for me to hunt this evening. As is the deer you missed! Stick with it   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©