3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please tell me about this bow  (Read 298 times)

Offline AKhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Please tell me about this bow
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
Can any of you tell me a bit about this bow? It was given to me by an acquaintance just prior to my graduating from high school. Since it's a little much to learn archery on a 65# longbow, I set it aside until recently. I now have a recurve coming (supposed to be delivered tomorrow) with the ambitious hope of working up to this bow in a few years so I can attempt to take a moose with it.
  I am a complete novice at archery, so I know next to nothing about it other than the writing on it and that (I think) its a Hill style longbow  in lefthand. Can you tell me anything about it's maker, the quality of the bow, and if I may ask approximate value? MODS: if the last part is not permitted, please remove and/or inform me so that I may edit appropriately.
  The writing on the bottom of the grip reads: 65#@28" and 69" #749 Custom for (name of gentleman who gave me the bow) 1988. The upper limb has "Ferguson" written on it and the lower "Boots".
  In the pics, you can see that the clear coat finish is bubbling and pealing on many parts of the bow. Is there a good way to repair with little to no risk to the bow? Should I just leave it alone or wait until I can have a professional bowyer do the job?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please tell me about this bow
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
I would guess its a Byron Ferguson with backset limbs.He still has bows built with his name on them today.He's a famous longbow shooter and does trick shots with precise skill

Its a little beat up in the finish.I would say around 200$ is a good ball park figure.

If your up to it you could refinish it.I have refinished a few bows and dont think its that big a deal.A professional job would run you a little coin that you may possibly not want to get into with that bow.

Its probably a good solid bow that shoots well in the right hands.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©