3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting  (Read 602 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground hunting
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
I just got through having my wife dig a tick out of back that had been there for some time at least over night . Here in the north east Lyme disease is very wide spread , and I know how  debilitating this can be so I am now on  antibiotics for 15 days as a  precaution .  I believe the more time one spends on the ground the more  likely to encounter ticks ! How do you ground guys deal with it ?  
           ---------Black Wolf 68" 57#@28"----
           ---------Tall Tines.  60" 52&45#@28---

Offline tkehler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
I've only had one to deal with, on my wife for about half an hour.

My dad has had 7-8 (he's old now) and there were no issues. He's had the antibiotic treatment a number of times. Again no issues.

I watched a documentary that said that a tick has to be on you for 24-48 hours in order to transfer lyme's to your bloodstream.

Be cautious but don't worry.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
Permanone!  Spray your cloths, let them dry and wear them. I've never had a tick on me after using Permanone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
2x Peramone.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
I hate ticks and haven't really found a remedy so I'll be watching this. However, I'm not sure being on the ground makes it any worse, I've gotten plenty of ticks just walking to and from my tree stands

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
During high activity times like spring and summer,  I've gotten bit by ticks regardless of permanone. They are dead, but bit me first. That being said, its the best there is.

Ive been bitten by ticks so many times it would be impossible to keep track of how many. Outside of preventing measures, the key is, check yourself completely missing nothing, and do it as often and as soon as you can. If you get them out within the day, you are reasonably safe. If anything suspicious looking around the bite site crops up, go get antibiotics.

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Ticks were almost none excistent in the areas I was hunting this year,Previous years it was not so dug many ticks out of me already over the years.did most of my hunting from a tree stand unlike other years when I did a lot of still hunting and cover a lot of ground.Like it was said previously take some precautions and don't let them ruin your hunt.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Permethrine. Heavy frost works good here.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
My wife and dog have both tested positive.  I've tested negative twice but have plain 'ol degenerative disc disease and severe osteoarthritis so I can commiserate with joint soreness (one of the symptoms).

I keep an eye out, find dozens annually (we raise sheep) and the dog brings them in pretty routinely whether I hunt or not. I'm not going to hide indoors because of ticks.

I use 100% DEET when I plan a hike out but day-to-day just do visual scans and "body checks" with THE ADMIRAL.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Ticks can live on a blade of grass, with their legs grabbing sporadically for a host, for 2 months.  I always thought a few days of subzero temps killed them off, but 2 years ago we had about 10 days straight with the polar vortex, and the ticks survived.  I know some were on hosts, but the amount that are on my property in Hudson, Columbia county are insane.
They hold true to their motto, "dug in like a tick", and are stubborn to die.
I killed a 6 point several years ago, loaded with ticks, all gorged, the size of coffee beans.  Left it for an hour for most to drop off.  Cut off the skull cap, and placed it in a double bag with chlorine bleach. Double goose neck on the bag to seal it really good.  3 months later, 6 ticks were still alive!!!!
The biggest threat in the woods is also the smallest!!!  
I spray EVERY piece of clothing that will touch my body with Permithrin.  Have not picked one off in a few years since the heavy spraying.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
Areas of heavy undergrowth/grass/weeds down here are the biggest threat.  I spray deet around my ankles, neck, elbows and waist on my outermost layer and do pretty well. I credit my mesh ASAT suit with some protective properties.  And always, always, always tuck your pants into your boots.  Nothing will get you ticks faster than wearing your pants over your boots so the bastards can crawl up a pant leg.  Keep an eye out for seed ticks! The little f#ckers are the size of a sesame seed and can also make you sick.  I usually have the highest risk in Sept-Oct. or when scouting in Spring, especially then.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
I'll be watching this one. We have had a pile of ticks the last few years. In one day last year in gun season I picked 70 ticks off of me, 2 of them attached. This was while being doused down with 100% DEET. Already had one attached this year during youth season and picked about 30 off. They seem to be just in certain areas though. Last year the bucks that my brother and I killed were loaded with them. They both had their brisket rubbed to the skin from shoulder to shoulder.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
I live in central NY and have a small property of some 15 acres top of some hills 1700 plus feet. I have never even seen a tick, zero nada from what I see on this post I would definitely use permithmone (sp)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Permethrine for clothes, Badgers bug spray for skin contact safe for the kids also, I haven't gotten a tick in 4-5 years using it. One can also use essential oils like Lemon grass, tea tree oil, oh, and here's a good one, if you touch a tick that is not too embedded with oil of oregano essential oil it will back it self out ! I have used these over the years first hand and have helped others when camping. With the exception of the Permethrine, all are perfectly safe to use on animals and kids as they are all natural.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Supposed to be the Deer tick that transmits the disease...not the Dog or 'Wood Tick' or other ticks. I have never seen but one Deer Tick in my life and that was Northern Lower Michigan (and on me in the '80s).  I have heard that the disease is marching Northward. Gonna stick to the ground for hunting.  I think the ticks get on us mostly when walking to and from the blinds...so tree or ground makes little difference.

Dan

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Good information so far guys.  Having had Lyme disease in 2010, I can't stress enough the importance of being vigilant against these damn pests.  Lyme disease is no joke.  

I use Permethrin on my clothing, Picaridin on exposed skin, and thorough "tick checks" at least daily during the peak seasons.  The density of ticks in my area is disturbing.  As mentioned, keep everything tucked in if you can especially pant legs, and wear light colored clothing if possible.  

Remember that Permethrin is an insecticide and actually kills the bastards while the others just repel them.  I started using Picaridin a while back because it isn't a plasticizer and therefore doesn't ruin things like DEET does.  So far, so good.  There is no substitute for Permethrin, in my opinion so I use loads of it!
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
I've gotten a few ticks while hunting during early bow season, but they usually are go away once the colder weather hits. I've been a bit worried this year with the warmer weather, but I haven't found any yet.

X2 on the Permethrin. I use it quite a bit while hiking during the summer. As much as I hate putting that kind of stuff on, it beats having the little bugger crawling all over you.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
There are multiple ticks that transfer multiple diseases. Permethrin, in my opinion, is essential. Spray your clothes well, and it will be very effective. It also helps to tuck your pants legs into your boots. I have had friends that have contracted Lyme and other tick borne issues. I have picked up Alpha Gal allergy, which is also caused by ticks, so I know personally what a problem ticks can cause. Alpha Gal makes you allergic to mammal meat. Imagine no beef, no pork, no lamb, no venison, no elk, etc. I had reactions for over 20 years, and have pretty much figured out that I have had this issue all that time, even though I only diagnosed it about a year ago. Don't be fooled thinking Lyme is the only issue related to ticks, as there are lots of health issues involved. If you walk into the woods and fields, you need to address the tick issue.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©