3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gutting question  (Read 1162 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Gutting question
« on: November 25, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
Hey guys, this is a two part question.

So I grew up splitting the pelvis. It was never my favorite and I wanted to eliminate an axe or saw. So the last two I did was the method where you cut around the bung. It wasn't professional, but I could tell I liked it way more. It seemed so much simpler and cleaner.

So I was wondering how short of a blade can I get away with for cutting around the bung?

Also my dad got a sling blade knife. He ended up getting me one too because he loved his so much. I didn't really like it, but it was handy. I just didn't see adding a whole blade to make a 12 second process take 3 seconds. But this experience combined with the above gutting experience got me thinking about the knife I pictured working best. And I came to the conclusion that a spey blade would work really good for gutting and I bet almost as good as a sling blade (zipper blade).

So do you think I could use the spey blade for opening up the cavity and gutting and the clip point for bunging the deer? Do you think a trapper pocket knife would work good?

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gutting question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
I like small blades on whitetail. Have a pelvic bone saw but haven't used it in years. Gut a doe last week with a leather man cause it was all I had in my truck and that little blade worked just fine.  
Follow the same rule as broadheads:  sharpness trumps size.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:32:00 AM »
I don't even gut large game any more except under special circumstances! Search YouTube with the keywords Eichler Gutless Method! But to your question, the knife you pictured should work perfect!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
got a knife just like that only diff is mine is a case xx works great all you need i actually skin my deer out with the above knife as well
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
In my opinion that is the perfect knife. I always have a case mini trapper in my pocket and a full sized trapper in my pack. I couldn't tell you how many deer they have gutted and skinned for me. Perfect blade combination. The mini works great for small game.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
It doesn't take a lot of knife to field dress a deer well. Use what you got and learn what it takes.  That is my best advice.  

About the only reason I prefer a fixed blade is because that is what I carry every day and because I don't have to clean blood out of the folding parts then.

Your knife looks perfect, get it sharp, go gut a deer.
ChuckC

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
The knife you pictured will work fine, but I would highly recommend a fixed or lock blade knife. I don't use anything that can fold up on me while I'm working with it. That's just me. Based on some of the injuries I have seen.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
I use my Havalon knife for everything. It only has about a 3" blade. And I agree with Warden609 about the lockblade. If you do not have a lockblade, you will eventually fold the knife onto your fingers and cut yourself.

Bisch

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Small knife is all you need. A lockable blade is preferred. But I also always carry a big Knife. With a small blade you can do what you "have" to do, With a big blade you can do "everything" you need to do......like split a pelvis.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
A few years ago, I did a complete Mule Deer (field dress, skinned, then completely deboned and put into coolers) with a simple Stanley drywall knife.  I had other knives available, but my buddy Roger Norris wanted to see me attempt it.  Yep, even surprised myself that day.  With that said, I will NOT be doing it again.  Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

As for now, I carry a Havalon knife, and also a thicker blade knife to make disassembly easier.  I recently did a 305# (live weight) hog with this setup.  The only way to make it easier, is to have someone else do it.       :biglaugh:
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
My dad gutted a doe with a tin can lid once.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
I agree with Warden.  I prefer a knife that's not going to fold while in use.  A lock-blade feature would be nice.

As others have pointed out, you can do the job with that knife.  I personally like a larger blade.  Think it makes the task easier.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
I used to split the pelvis too.
..sure don't have to and it's a lot more work.
..so I don't anymore.

I wouldn't choose to gut a deer with any knife that doesn't at least lock.

Too many times working fast as light is fading away.
Reaching up into the the ribs to get the pipes..I can just see a blade folding in on my fingers..no thanks.

I do like a knife with a little more backbone than you show..but only for splitting the cartilage thru the ribs.

I use a Gerber folder..3.75" blade I think. I remember something about Gator grip or something. It does seem to be easily gripped when bloody.
It works just fine..as most knives would.
It's nothing fancy but it does the job and keeps an edge surprisingly well for stainless.
It has a nice tight lock too..no slop at all after around 10 deer or so. Not that a deer is big work..but that's all I use it for, so it's all I can say..lol

It's long enough for "bung" work too lol.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Folding/Gator-knife_46069
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
I use my havalon for EVERYTHING!  Elk, Hogs, deer, ducks...
If your familiar with your quarry's anatomy you never need to cut thru bone. Unless you want to.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
There are many ways to skin a cat...and a deer.  My Case XX Trapper is with me always and I have processed many deer with it.  The spey blade is one of my favorites...for some reason I can get that particular blade profile super sharp.  I've been trying different ways to process deer...gutless method, split pelvis, cutting around the anus.  When ya get used to doing it one way, other ways seem clumsy and ya only get so many chances a year to practice to get proficient.  Anyway, to answer your question...yes, that knife will work just fine to gut and skin a deer. As mentioned just be aware of the non-locking blade.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
I use a fixed blade for 2 reasons
1. Like said before they don't close up on you.
2. You don't get meat, fat or parts stuck up inside the knife. Which makes it harder to clean.

I also don't use a saw or hatchet anymore. I can take a deer apart with only a knife. I just cut through the joints to remove the lower legs  and head.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Havalon for me also.  I never split the pelvis anymore.  To much chance of getting dirt around.  You don't need anything special to cut around the A hole but it needs to be sharp.
T ZZZZ

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Have you tried the "gutless" method?  Several youtube clips on it, most pretty similar.  I really like and can do it in the field now in Illinois.  I've also been carrying this guthook and find it a great tool that weighs next to nothing and takes up about that much space.

http://www.buckknives.com/product/paklite-guthook/0499FAM02/
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
My boy just hangs them up skins them and bones the carcass out . When he gets done he has a skeleton with guts in it hanging on a gambel. I have cut myself on a big folder that didn't lock , I went to a small knife for several years and now I'm back to using a larger fixed blade with a  4 1/2" or 5 " blade its easier and faster to skin and gut with a larger knife .

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
Sharpness and a fixed or locking blade is what I've always used. I do not split the pelvic bone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©