3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ShrewHaven Update  (Read 984 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ShrewHaven Update
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
Gregg,

Sorry you didn't connect, but I'm glad you finally made it there. The vehicle is packed and it's time for some shuteye. I'm looking forward to trying the new prototype carbon bow. My backside has plenty of padding, but thanks for the heads up on the stand. I killed 3 deer between 11am and 1 pm in the last 3 years during this moon phase up at camp.  

My wife is looking forward to me only being in camp for 4 days.  She's thinking I'll only gain 5 pounds instead of the usual 10 that seems to "appear" after 8 or 9 days in camp.

Alpha, MI here I come!!!!!!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Gus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Update as of last night--everybody missed Java man being in camp, glad you had a good time Gregg, ShrewHaven sure is a special place. It's a true old time deer camp,lots of great food,great friends,great place to hunt,great fun and lots of joking and ribbing. Dinner last night was venison steaks and chicken breasts on the grill with a pasta dish and fresh baked biscuits. Not much left, as everyone had seconds. Roger is doing much better, he seems to have come to grips that he really did miss a big buck(I think all the camp therapists have helped). Not much action yesterday,warm temps and a big moon slowed movement. Not much sign of chasing yet either. Weather is windy and rain today with temps to drop into the low 40's this afternoon and a chance of light snow tonight thru tommorrow morning. Should help get the big boys moving
Experience the Northwoods... It rejuvenates the soul.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
Sorry Gregg I was really pulling for you!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I appreciate all the kind comments.  Just being up there was enough for me.  Today is my first day back at work, and I sure wish I was still in the UP.  Like Gus mentioned, the actual hunting is a small part of the experience.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Yeah the going back to work thing is always the worst thing after comming home from a great deer camp!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Any new news from the U.P.? Greg, I know you would rather be there just don't take it out on my bow! LOL!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Boy I'm glad he didnt have to back to work on my bow! He'd probably make it a righty just for laughs. LOL

Eric

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
No worries Eric.  I did make Tom's bow left handed though!   :scared:  Just kidding.

I have not heard any news since I left.  Cell coverage is a little sketchy up there. Ray should have been there yesterday.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Anybody got a lefty shew they might part with id like to shoot one ?

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
Did you trim Rogers Shirt tail for missing a Big Buck? That is a Michigan Deer camp tradition!!!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
WHEW!!!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Jeff,
My son missed a shot a few weeks back and guess what his punishment was...... ???

Since his broadhead went thru the leaves and down in that good black dirt it needed a good cleaning and touch up before being placed back in the quiver. And what would be the perfect tool for the job...... ?

Yep, you guessed it.... HIS TOOTHBRUSH, HAHA !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Gus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Update as of this morning - Ray bagged a doe yesterday morning, lots of action in the afternoon as everyone except Papa Shrew saw deer. Greg N. missed a doe and Tim was ready to draw on one but got busted by another deer. Roger saw another smaller buck on Wed.evening,but no shot taken. Dinner last night was leg of lamb with twice baked potatoes. Lots of deer movement this morning on the way into the shop, should be a good morning.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the update Randy.  

I'm taking my 12yr old Sam out in the morning.  We have treestands about 20yds apart, so I can keep a close eye on him.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Gus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Update as of 8am this morning - Papa Shrew took a real nice very large doe last evening.Everyone is out this morning helping  Greg N. and Tim track deer they hit last evening.Lots of movement yesterday as everyone saw deer. Should be real good this evening as a front is to move in tonight with snow predicted.Yesterday over at our place,WolfRidge, Cindy arrowed a real nice 6 point with her Li'l Favorite.  She will bring it up to camp tonight for a picture with Papa Shrew. Java man - Cindy shot the Carbon Classic the other night, she loved it. Don't know why "she" needs a new bow, almost to the day a year ago she shot a 7 point with her Li'l Favorite. Dinner tonight is deep fried Bluegill with potatoes and coleslaw.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Dang it.  I should still be there.  :knothead:  

Sam and I saw several deer this morning.  But nothing close enough.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Well, I'm back. Nothing is sadder to me than heading EAST on Hwy 2 across the UP. As usual, Cindy (Gus's lovely wife) showed us all up with a lunker 6 pointer. Way to go Cindy! 2 years running now she shows up mid week with a good buck in her truck, just to show us what one looks like!Gus, Ken , and Cindy coming by camp is one of the things I look forward to all year.

Yep, I mmmmmissed a lunker, shot over his back at about 18 yards. 10 WIDE points, and a chocalate brown rack. Dangit!

I saw plenty of deer though, several good bucks, and had an awesome time. Randy is right, the ribbing and joking in camp is worth the trip alone. And the food!!!!!!

Having Javaman around this year was an extra bonus. What a great guy to share a camp with. I hope I didn't keep it too hot for you in there, Gregg (yep, I have been reduced to woodstove and dish duty, next time I'll pick a spot!)

Ron, Kevin, Greg N., Javaman, Ray, Tim Cosgrove, Randy, Cindy, Ken, thanks once again for a great deer camp. You guys are the best.   :campfire:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Kevin and I made it home by 9:30PM last night after a 11.5 hour drive. The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has a 5,000lb tow package and I think we were about maxed on our load   :eek:  The 13' covered utility trailer was loaded with our personal gear,a bunch of stands,the 4 wheeler and we still managed to squeeze in a couple deer and get the door closed    :D  

It's hard to believe that another year at Shrewhaven is over. It was a great time with a great bunch of guys. The anticipation of going, the happy reunion when we got there, the daily fun we had sharing our hunting experiences at the end of each day... and the laughter...don't forget the laughter    :campfire:  

I'll post some pictures soon.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Sounds like a great time guys!!  Glad to hear everybody had a good time and all made it home safe.  I look forward to some pics!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©