3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: gold tip arrow spine  (Read 454 times)

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
gold tip arrow spine
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
what's the spine of the hunter black shafts 3555

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: gold tip arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
I'm thinking 35-55 are .500. I know they are .500 in the traditional shafts.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Yes .500 is correct.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
They say.500 on them, but my spine tester says every gold tip I have put on it is stiffer than marked. The 3555's mostly ran about .450-.470.

The .400's show stiffer also. Most of them run .350-.370.

Every dz of GT shafts I have done has had some oddballs that were way off. These were all .003 shafts, none blems, and I have done LOTS of these shafts. The oddballs, some of whiuch were so far off they did not shoot worth a crsp from my setup, are the reason I quit shooting GT.

As a disclaimer, it has been a couple years since I have shot them, so things could have changed since then for the better. I hope so!

I have RAM spine tester set up for carbon shafts at 28" with a 1.94# weight.

Bisch

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
Yes I think stiffer than advertised.
High on Archery.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Bisch... I have a half dozen GT blems marked 5575 and those are the ones that I can get flying best out of one of my bows.  Looking at Big Jims sales, it appears that they no longer say that but are sold as standard .500, .400, .340 etc.

Do you have any idea what the 55-75 translateds to ?  On MY spine tester they come out around 75 pounds and are about 10 pounds stiffer than my Beman .500 shafts as I recall.
CHuckC

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
3555 = 500 spine.

5575 = 400 spine.

At least that's what they were/are.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Thank you

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
55/75 is a .400, but they probably actually spine out somewhere closer to .360!

Bisch

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
All carbons are stiffer than listed. Cut them down and the problem gets worse. With recurves cut pass center it is not as criticle. Hill style bows require closer stiffness with less tolerance for too stiff or too flexible.That has been my experience.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
The stiffness did not bother me at all. The oddball ones that were waaaaaaaay out of whack with the rest is what bothered me (I have had arrows as stiff as .310 in a dz shafts marked .400). The XT Hunters I was shooting were expensive, and I think the quality control should be better at that price point.

I now shoot Easton Axis FMJ's, and they too are stiff. The .400's come in in the .370's. The difference is that in every dz that I have spined, every arrow (even from different dz's) was within .010" deflection!

Bisch

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
This is an interesting thread, and I don't mean to high-jack it, but is there a carbon arrow out there that does spine very close to what's marked? Carbon Express maybe? I also see that Hill-style bows were mentioned. I've owned a few, and tended to use aluminum from these, but shot carbon from my other bows.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:00 AM »
Good info Bisch. I do not have a spine tester and never knew GT arrows we're spinning lower. I just got a dozen Hunters from Big Jims and I rigged up 5 of them. I will be shooting them to see if I get any flyers. If so at least now I may know why.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I rarely ever shoot anything but Gold Tip and I don't ever spine them. I probably go through 6 or 8 doz a year.
 I guess I must not be very good cuz I'm not good enough to get a shaft to fly poorly consistently. Seems like every one I have ever shot will go exactly where I look at least most of the time.
Now once in a while when I really need one to go to the 10 ring, it takes on a mind of it's own and drift on over to the edge of the 8 and just outside of the 10 or even out in to the 5 but I'll be darned if that same arrow won't go right back in to the ten the next time up.
I have never had a shaft that wouldn't shoot where I looked.... ever. Not a first, and not a blem.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
GT,s original spine calculation went as follows:
35/55 bow with draw weight from 35lbs to 55lbs.
55/75 bow with draw weight from 55lbs to 75lbs.
75/95 bow with draw weight from 75lbs to95lbs.
when you spine check them at full length they should show weaker for a lighter bow and as you trim them they will get stiffer, for me it is a very simple way to buy arrows of the correct spine. As Big Jim said, I too have been shooting GTs only and have never had an issue Blems or first run arrows. But then again I dont spine check my arrows.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
I have bought lots of bless from big Jim's. Never had a problem with them. I shoot bless 55/75 out of my 47pound predator and get pass thru shots on almost every deer. Food enough for me. Don't overthink it

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Well, I'm certainly not suggesting that I'm any better of a shot than the next guy, but I had flyers that were so bad they would not hit with the other arrows. I started spine testing all my shafts and weeding out the way out of the ball park spined shafts, and nearly never ever had another flyer. That was enough to convince me of what caused the flyers.

Like I said above. I liked the arrows. I had them well tuned and killed LOTS of critters with them. I just thought that QC should be better for what they cost, so I switched to something with much tighter tolerances.

Bisch

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
About 15 years ago I had some GTs that were really off in spine (much heavier), but the last several doz. (blems) were all within 2-3# of each other.

When my son was younger I bought some of the youth carbons that they sold (supposedly for lightweight bows) and they were 35-55s and 55-75s, too stiff for even some of my bows.

But, I have to say they've come a long way in quality control and the new shafts are as marked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©