3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chronographing flu flu arrows  (Read 302 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Chronographing flu flu arrows
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
So I started a thread on goose hunting and the question of the speed of flu flu arrows came up.  The thread title might not draw in the member who has this answer.

What's the speed difference of flu flu arrows at close range (10/20 yards) and an arrow with "regular" three fletch.  Has anyone specifically measured arrow speed of these?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chronographing flu flu arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
What might be more interesting is the change in speed at bow / 5yd / 10yd / 20yd.   Shoot them in the air at a 45 deg angle and see the difference in distance.  Also, my thoughts... I want the arrow to do something when it gets to the bird, not just "tag" it.  Different fluflus go different distance.  I now use four fletch custom huge bananas that I designed.  Based on a 6" high back, I cut the last 1/2" off (so it fits my clamp) and attach with fair helical.  Noisy as heck, but they go fast and land about 85 paces away.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
Also, check out the hartcraft turkey lopper 2 3/8" broadhead for aerial shooting.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I don't trust myself to launch arrows over the chronograph from more than 3 feet away.   :biglaugh:

Mine are the spiral wound type and I've found that over about ten yards they are dropping pretty fast.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
calgary chief,

I have never goose hunted , but would love to with a bow. I have shot pheasant many times with a bow. After the first time I would not use conventional  flu flus. I used my regular 3 or 4 fletch hunting arrows that are already tuned and added my "scrap" 2-3" pieces of fletching in between my existing fletch.Just left them full height, like a 2-3" rectangle fletch in the rear. It slowed it down enough that I could still find my arrows but still had enough gas for 15 yd shots. Worked great for me.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Kuch, thTsnthe kind of real world experience I'm looking to hear.  I "think/feel" that big flu flus are going to be too slow to really kill effectively.  I don't have experience with them like others do so I'm hoping to get concrete answers like this.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
A few years ago, an archer here wanted to get away from 'hunting arrows that look like target arrows'.   He had me fletch up some heavier arrows for him, but he wanted to know how much speed they lost at 30 yards and he was concerned with how much penetration he would lose or gain.   He practiced and practiced with both arrows using a bow sight.  He got a hold of chronograph.  Up close they the heavier larger fletched arrow was a little slower, but the math went in favor of the heavier arrows.   He then backed up to his mark and proved with the first shot that he had enough penetration.  He put the first arrow right through the heart of his chronograph and killed it dead.  
As far as killing efficiencies of flu flu arrows.  When I used uncut four fletch the arrow cast was not all that much different than 5.5" three fletch, but the arrows came down straighter when shooting at pheasants and easier,(sometimes), to find back.  With the double wind style, they slowed down a lot, to a point that I could not use steel blunts on pheasants and the shots that I was getting at pheasants tended to be outside of a practical and predictable range of the arrow flight with wind also being a negative contributing factor.  I prefer to use normal fletched wood arrows that have seen their better day or the cheapest crap shafts that still fly good.  One that always impresses me is when I break a point off of a broad head length arrow and replace it with a blunt, I get a net length arrow out of the deal.  One would think that would make an arrow that was way too stiff.  Too my surprise with a Hill style longbow those shortened net length arrows fly very nice and are more predictable than any flu flu.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©