3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow diving  (Read 654 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow diving
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
ive tried everything with these deltas they keep diving way down, ive built out shelf ive lowered nock point tried raising it nothing is working i dont get whats going on they dive straight down after flying about 12 yards
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow diving
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
i even shoot a delta head that the tip is very bent and it flies a ton better then a non bent one
aim small miss small

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
The delta is the widest Zwickey, right?

Try orienting the broadhead horizontal.  That is, horizontal if the bow is held vertical.  My theory is that it starts to deflect the wind upon release due to the paradox of the arrow.  Oriented any other way, the head becomes a paddle and will start to steer the arrow and rob it of some speed.  But with a horizontal orientation, it slices through the air better.  I sometimes shoot the No Mercy & that fixed my drops and funky flight patterns.

I also shoot the Grizzly Kodiak and found that when using a straight 4" fletch, the cock vane had to face inward otherwise the same problem resulted.  But on my 5" helical, the cock vane orientation didn't matter at all.

In all cases, I mount my heads horizontal & get more consistent flight that way.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
i tried mounting it different ways and still same has happened, however if i shoot one with the really bent tip it flies good even on a bad arrow missing half fletching
aim small miss small

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Given all that you have tried and all the input from everyone, I suspect your problem has nothing to do with the broadhead.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
I agree with toej.  I've shot Zwickey Deltas (2- and 4-blade) for more than 40 years, on carbon, wood and aluminum arrows, mounted vertically, horizontally and at an angle.  Have never had a problem with them. One of the best flying broad heads out there, IMO.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
all thse problems starting when i i went to an anchor point past the corner of my mouth which is earlobe pocket in jaw, i started getting string slap and all that stuff, i just put a 200 grain vpa on at my old corner of mouth anchor and it goes where i look, does this make sense? is it possible i was throwing everuything out of alignment before by drawing past my old anchor?
aim small miss small

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
Torturing, or dropping bow arm?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
dont believe so, i put a new zwickey on and the arrow fys good even with a fletching missing almost a whole flethcing this is weird
aim small miss small

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
I think when you starting drawing farther you made spine weaker, try another spine.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
i got some full length 340 spines coming, so if i went back to corner of mouth i would be good with 400s?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
my draw corner of mouth is 27 3/4 and new draw is 28.5 thumb in jaw pocket under ear
aim small miss small

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
I've had the same problem. I always tune by bareshafting but it didn't seem sufficient so u went to paper and discovered a nock high issue. Fixed it them my deltas shot real nice.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
i have moved my nock up and down did not fix anything
aim small miss small

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
If your anchoring in corner of mouth and get good flight and your draw arm is align with the shaft go with it. Over drawing can cause alignment issues.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
You definitely may have changed the spine needed pulling to your new anchor point, but it's easy to malign your draw hand with the bow at that anchor point, that's where I pull too and always have. It's quite possible you are torquing the string. Pay attention to that for a couple of shots and see if that cleans anything up. If it don't it don't, but it's worth a try
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Over drawing was a big problem of mine for awhile and it would give me all sorts of random flight results with broadheads...I'm guessing from torque.  I thought that back tension equaled pulling real far but it isn't.  Now I hit my anchor and use my back to put my arm in alignment and my flight issues are gone.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 01:18:00 AM »
The overdraw issue my be it.
I was shooting a lot prior to my bear hunt this fall.

I took two bows that I thought I was shooting well with.  When I pulled them out to practice at camp, it was, well- embarrassing.  I was all over the place. I think that overdrawing was my issue. It took quite a bit of practising with one bow to get back my confidence.

Kind of funny, but the way I "fixed" it one year was I started practising with arrows that were marginal in length- the back of my STOS broadhead would touch my bow hand, the arrows flew so nicely that I  intentionally shortened my draw length to use them. I had forgotten about that this year.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Your broadheads may not be on straight they need to be spin tested

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Or as you drew longer you were putting odd pressure on the string. Pulling more with the middle finger causing the arrow to bow. I've seen alot of shooters pull the string with very uneven finger pressure and those arrows look like they are being test flexed.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©