3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to try traditional  (Read 762 times)

Offline Mclineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to try traditional
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been deer hunting for 30yrs, and always hunted with compounds. I'm 50yrs old now and would like to get started with traditional. Can you guys steer me in the right direction as far as what bow, I'm leaning toward a recurve, but not set in stone. What type of arrow, weight,etc.
Thanks.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to try traditional
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Get a kids bow (30# max) and learn to shoot with that first.  Preferably, get a kids bow and some matching, cheap, feather fletched arrows that can be scaled up as your strength and skill develop.  Once you're able to keep tight groups at 25-30 yards with that setup, move up 10-15# until you're at the weight you want to be.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
You've come to the right place!  Trad Gang is full of more knowledge than you can digest in a month of reading.  But it will come, one step at a time.  
As Sam suggested, starting light is a good idea.  Having too much bow to start out with is one of the biggest mistakes that many new shooters make.  Although personally I would think a healthy 50 year old guy could handle a little more to start - maybe in the 40-45# range which then would also be adequate to hunt with once your skills develop.

At the very top of the list of threads here on PowWow is one called "Getting Started In Traditional Archery For Bowhunters".  Read that over in detail and you will be well on your way to more fun with archery than you ever thought possible!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Also keep in mind that you have some real work to do. Skill sets will be developed by repetition and over time. Work on form and practice a lot. If you do the work, though, you can reasonably expect to be ready to hunt next season.
Sam

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
I'm sorry Yosemite but I find that to be ridiculous.
McLineman, There seems to be alot to this stuff, but its pretty simple.  Shoot sticks with a stick.  I'd buy a 45 or 50# Samick Sage and put some arrows down range.  You may not like it as well as what you know, or you may have a blast.  From my experience, learning is continuous.  If you want to have a good time to start, keep it simple.  If you want  a new comer to have a bad time, bury them in technicalities and perfect form.  Just get a bow, shoot, get hooked and then work to be a perfect shot.  Fun first.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Patience is your friend! And never stop having FUN with this stick bow stuff. Your at the right place in Tradgang.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Brent,

Sent you a PM if you want to talk.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
 I'd buy a 45 or 50# Samick Sage
I would also recommend a Sage or if your draw length is longer, the Samick Journey.  http://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-journey-takedown-recurve-bow.html  They are very good starter bows and being takedown, you can very cheaply get heavier limbs as appropriate.  I would start with a recurve as I think the learning curve is a little less than with a longbow.

I think it would really help us if we knew what you have been shooting for draw length and weight in a compound.  That could be used to make a better estimate of your starting point in a stick bow.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
As said above have fun with it and just don't over bow yourself #40/#50. Start cheap to make sure you like it first. Trust me if you like it, it will NOT be the only stick bow that you will own.
Welcome to Trad gang     :wavey:    

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Mclineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
I'm shooting a Mathews Drenalin now, my draw length for it is 28.5 with a string loop, 60# draw weight.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
40-42 pound bow.  If you know what you want -- longbow vs recurve go for what your budget will allow--- I quickly replaced a low end budget bow w a custom bow--- I found I was hooked.  You will find you need arrows much lighter spined-- once you settle on bow check back for advice on arrows.  Check out posts on shooters form forum here lots of great guidance.  YouTube jimmy blackmon videos and " the push" are among many free videos you can learn from.  Feel free to pm me-- if you send phone number I'll be happy to call you and help however I can.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
Oops, double post, sorry.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Welcome! Excellent advise above. There was an excellent video put out recently by a member here, it was primarily advocating using a Fixed Crawl aiming system, but was also a good intro to Trad. It's about 1 1/2 hours and I think it was called the Push. I've been shooting Trad for years and never had a clear understanding of shooting/aiming methods until I watched that film. A search will find it for you, and it's on YouTube also.

Masters of the Barebow is another good source.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
Welcome to the fold.  Lots of advice, some conflicting, but all meant well.  Read some of the shooters forum and go to some local shoots to meet other trad folks.  Hands on help is the best, plus you get to play with their bows.

My own opinion regarding shooting skills is that it will come in time, but I find no real sense in holding off based upon skills at far away targets  If you wish to hunt, go do it, but keep your shots to what you can perform decently.  IF that is 5 yards... do it.  You will get better with practice, just do not shoot at critters beyond what your skills allow.

My opinion of starting weight ?  Every one of us is different.  If you can pull 100#, starting way low seems silly, but if you can only pull 50#, them a weight just over half that is not so silly anymore.  It is difficult for anyone to assess your physical ability over the computer, but you can do it.

Go to shoots, find a mentor or two that can shoot well.  That will be that quickest way to success.
CHuckC

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
"Do, or do not.....there is no try." -Yoda

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang.  Don't overbow yourself.  You've got some advice above.  One thing to consider is buying a used bow in the TG classifieds.  If it doesn't suit you well, you can sell it for what you paid if you don't run over it with your truck.  Yes, some of the used bows seem as expensive as new.  Others are "budget" bows and would be great to start with.  Enjoy and never stop having fun.
homebru

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
welcome to the trad side.  

be well aware that by losing the mechanical advantages of a wheel/cam bow, a trad bow will be an entirely different experience, with different physical mental challenges.  that's part of why we're in this game.

it would be best to get a local mentor who *really* knows trad - it's very different from wheel/cam bows.  other than that, asking questions and getting good answers can help heaps.

this article may be of help ...

http://tradgang.com/docs/trad.html
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 12:35:00 AM »
You are relatively close to DFW. There are a ton of trad shooters in that area, ande some mighty fine ones at that. As mentioned above, find someone to mentor you. It will make the learning and frustration curves a lot smaller.  

Check out Denton County Archers. It is a traditional archery club that should not be too far from you where you can meet folks near you that shoot trad.

http://dentoncountyarchers.org/index.html

Have fun and good luck in your new adventure!

Bisch

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Howdy MCLINEMAN from mec lineman. This is a great place to learn good luck!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mclineman:
I'm shooting a Mathews Drenalin now, my draw length for it is 28.5 with a string loop, 60# draw weight.
If you are shooting 60# comfortably now in a compound, I would think starting at 40 to 45 pounds at your draw length might be a good starting place.  

As others have said, do NOT overbow yourself starting out.  It really would be best if you could draw some bows first.  Do you have any kind of traditional archery shop around or a club with people who shoot traditional?  Even a Cabela's (or the likes) generally have some traditional bows in stock one can shoot at their range.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©