3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: draw length  (Read 439 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
draw length
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
any way to find out what i am actully drawing with my bow as far as my draw length? didnt know if there were on easy methods
aim small miss small

Re: draw length
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
turn an arrow into a yard stick.  If you draw while looking at your arrow you may draw longer and differently than when you actually shoot.   I have someone else watch me shoot and tell me which line that I am hitting.  You can also film yourself and be able to see it.  Do not target a number, your draw length is your draw length.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
if i draw to my old anchor which is corner of mouth its 27 and 3/4 and if i go to that new anchor thumb under earlove jaw pocket its 28.5 the new one seems like i have to force myself to draw there would this be over drawing?
aim small miss small

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
I think probably.  The corner of the mouth or there about, gives most people that correct triangulation that puts the eye over the arrow with a slight bow cant.   I anchor with my middle just past the corner of my mouth with my bent thumb dropping in behind my jaw bone.  The goal is to have a draw that uses strong muscles and keeps the eyes in the game, go beyond it and you are either jamming things up and wrapping out of visual alignment, go too short and you may be goose necking and coming up to short to use the stronger muscles.  Drawing long will give one more power, missing what you are shooting at gives you way less power.  I use to draw over 28", I looked like was trying to fall over backwards.  I now draw just shy of 27 inches with a recurve and 26 inches left hand and 26.25" right hand with straight gripped longbows.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
if i am anchoring corner of mouth my thumb still has another inch to go past my jaw bone as you describe
aim small miss small

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Draw your bow to your normal anchor point and have someone put a small pencil mark on the arrow at the front of the arrow shelf.  Measure the arrow to that mark and it's your draw length...WITH THAT BOW.  Each bow, depending on the length of the arrow shelf and depth of the throat on the grip, will measure differently.

There used to be a term called "True Draw," coined by Tom Jennings, I think, that measured draw length from the throat of the grip.  Of course, draw length measured that way is much shorter, but it's consistent bow to bow, except for the difference due to high, medium, or low wrist hold.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
First draw facing a mirror and see what anchor aligns your draw arm parallel to the arrow and under your eye, now your aligned. Everyone has different facial and hand structure so you need to find a consistent spot to anchor that gets you aligned properly. Not everyone can get thumb knuckle behind jaw. Your draw length is what it is and trying to get more causes problems.

As far as measuring I clip a clothespin to the arrow and adjust it so it just touches back of riser at full draw then measure from nock throat to clothespin. AMO I believe is nock throat to deepest part of grip then add 1 3/4".
shoot straight shoot often

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
I measure mine by clipping a clothes pin to the arrow...and then drawing to anchor. The clothes pin will stop at the front of the riser...then just measure from the throat of the nock to the clothes pin. Kind of a simple way to do it....especially if u dont have anyone to watch the arrow for u. And it gets u pretty close on length.

Clothes pin has to fit the arrow semi loosely...otherwise it will pull the arrow off the string as ur drawing back.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
Must have been typing same time as Katman. Lol
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Aim small...Miss small!!

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
I have seen lots of times when measuring people for arrows that they have a longer demonstration draw than a shooting draw.  Even if they hit the same anchor point, things can change when boring down on a target, like the head coming natural forward and tilted to meet the fingers or the shoulders opening up a bit.  Sometimes these motions are needed for aiming alignment and sometimes they are form problems.  Just something to consider.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©