3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanks to Mickey Lotz & Christopher Owens  (Read 253 times)

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks to Mickey Lotz & Christopher Owens
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
A few weeks ago I posted here asking for some suggestions about public access land in the Cincinnati area. I was going to be there for a few days and wanted to stay and hunt after my business there was done.

Mickey Lotz and Christopher Owens both responded with suggestions and offers to help.

As it often does, work intruded on what should have been hunting time. Two days work turned into 3 1/2 and my opportunities began to narrow.
To make the most of my time, I decided to extend my stay through the weekend. My wife put our 12 year old son on a plane in Florida and I met him at the gate in Cinci for what would be the first hunt for either of us in Ohio.

Mickey Lotz had graciously given me his contact information and we arranged to meet Friday morning. We met for breakfast and spent some time getting acquainted. Mickey suggested a couple of areas to hunt and then gave me a hand drawn map to the nearest of the two.

As we were leaving the restaurant, Mickey reaches into his pocket and hands us two knapped heads on cords. "A memento of your hunt in Ohio", he said.

My son Thad and I headed east to the area Mickey had suggested. As we were driving in, we saw a flock of turkeys feeding through the open field.
We spent the next few hours scouting the property and deciding where to set our blind.

We settled on a spot in a treeline that connected two areas where we had seen signs of activity. We set the blind and began our watch.

We hunted Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon. We saw deer and turkeys everyday. All outside of Thad's range, but what a show.

We watched a big bodied doe lead her twins into the field in front of us and their frequent darts back to cover. We saw the same Turkeys (at 50yds) everyday. As we were pulling in to park for the Saturday afternoon hunt we watched two young bucks walk past our blind site. Walking out Saturday evening we saw several deer feeding along the field edge 100yds away.

We never loosed an arrow but it was a great father & son trip. Thad was able to see some game, learned the feeling of excitement as the deer begins to move in your direction. He learned that deer and Turkey do materialize out of thin air and that more often than not, they know your effective range and stay just beyond it.

It was a great time and I look forward to returning to Ohio.

Mickey, Christopher, Thanks so much for your willingness to help and your generosity. You helped my son and I to have a great weekend and create memories we will always cherish.

Eric

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanks to Mickey Lotz & Christopher Owens
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Eric I was hoping to hear how you had done. Glad you saw some critters. There's always some pressure to produce for someone that travels 1000 miles, then flies his son in as well. Thads a nice young man,destined for good things. Wish something had wandered a little closer so that he could have at least gotten a shot.

Some of mine and Brian's (my son) best hunts have come when nothing come to bag. His first out of state trip to Alabama when he was Thads age for example. Getting an appreciation for the outdoors will serve him his entire life.

Thanks again for breakfast. It was certainly a pleasure meeting you and the next time you're coming to town give me a shout and we'll get together.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
yes in deed, sounds like a great hunt, way to go Mickey for helping out fellow trad hunters!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
The Brotherhood of Trad Gangers!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Sounds like a win-win for everyone here, Eric I'm glad to see your son involved in a hunt like this, it will likely be something he remembers for a long, long time.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©