3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow string length  (Read 1113 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
bow string length
« on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
i have a bob lee sig exotic with a 60 inch AMO will i need a 56 inch or 57 inch string isnt rule of thumb for recurves 4 inches? any idea who makes some good strings on here? looking for d97 flemish twist 16 stand
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow string length
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
i have been using a 56 inch string on it now and the loops are too small to sit in the groves around the tip but lines up in the limb groove, i have been told to ignore this as long as it sits in limb groove?
aim small miss small

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
That rule of thumb has a lot of exceptions.  If the bow truly follows AMO standards, you would need a 57-inch string.  Does it have a string on it now?  Is it braced where you want it to be?  If so, measure it?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
3 rivers says rule of thumb is 4 inches for recurves what i read
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
i just measured the string that came with it that ive had for a few months its 56.5 inches, only options is 56 or 57 i can get, lancaster sells them by AMO, will a 56 inch string hurt it?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
so would a 60 inch amo bear bow shoot a 56.5 inch string as well idk why they put 4 inches if its really 3.5
aim small miss small

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
-4" the length of the bow usually works for me on a recurve.

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
I would ask bob lee archery. String length on some of my recurves were 4" less while one recurve I had once took a string that was 2" less. Vary from one manufacturer to another.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
I have a lot of recurves, and I don't think any two of them take exactly the same string length.  That's just the way custom bows are built.  Probably a new 56" string will stretch out to 56.5" after you shoot it for a while.  Or, if you order a 57" string and specify minimal twists, you can twist it up to 56.5". The problem would be if you get a 57" string that is already twisted up almost to the limit, you will have to overtwist it to get it down to 56.5", and that will be detrimental to your bow performance.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
so run the 56 inch dave? or get one custom made to 56.5? anyone know anyone that custom makes them here? bear bows state 4 inches less also correct?
aim small miss small

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
The most important thing is to get to the correct brace height.  My Bob Lee chart says your bow should be braced at 7 5/8 - 7 3/4".  Whatever string length it takes to get to that brace height is what you should use.  You can, of course, fine tune it from there.

If that turns out to be a 56.5" string, and you can get someone to build it for you, then that's what you should do.  If not, then I would order a 56" string and let it stretch in use.

There are many fine stringmakers on this forum.  I almost hate to mention any, because they are all so good.  But Chad Weaver, Ten Ring Strings, and SBD Bow Strings come to mind.  I'm sure there are others that are just as good that I'm not familiar with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
If you brace height is correct with the older string, measure it, and order one the same length. D-97 doesn't stretch all that much, you'll be fine.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
i have a 56 inch string and it does not fit in string grooves near the tip but does on the limb groove, i can get to my brace height with the 56 inch string but hardly any twists left
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
i have 8 twists left with the 56 inch can anyone recommend a string maker on here?
aim small miss small

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Go back and read McDave's post.  He recommended three.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
AMO is 3" shorter, regardless of the bow design.

https://texasarchery.org/Documents/AMO/AMOStandards.pdf

That being said, it can vary a lot.  I've seen bows get strings from 1" to 6" shorter than the marked length.

I've gone round and round with a few bowyers, trying to convince them to label the actual string length on their bows, especially if they don't follow AMO.  No luck...some really entertaining excuses though.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
After reading a thread on another site about this subject I really would suggest you call Bob Lee.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
his grandson jj said the actual string length is 56.5 but i didnt know if it was 56 stretched to that or not
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
i will call them monday, now bear suggests there string is 4 inches shorter then AMO? so each bow is diferent based of manufacturer? so lbr we should actually be going with a 3 inch less string then the AMO, what are the difference in brace height 3 vs 4 inches?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
now on the 56 inch string it does not sit in the string grooves near tip, is this telling me the string is too short? it sits in the limb groove fine
aim small miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©