3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf vs Chippewa  (Read 865 times)

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf vs Chippewa
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
I moved last year and am now within 10 minutes of a couple of nice public hunting areas.  Due to a lot of overtime and chasing crappie am just now starting to explore and scout these areas close to the house. I will be packing my stand/gear in and out.  I already have a climber but what little scouting I have got to do have already noticed several spots without a decent tree where I wanted it and am looking to buy a light, easy to hang stand.  I have always liked the looks of the Chippewa stand and am really leaning towards it but know some prefer Lone Wolf.  Guys that have used both talk me into why I should consider Lone Wolf.  My main concern really is the ease of hanging and packing.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf vs Chippewa
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
Had both for many years. Both great stands. Ease of hanging is same.  

I sold my Chippewas.  LW is more portable, lighter, and more versatile for smaller trees etc.  The idea that having the hanging harness in the tree ahead of time really does nothing for ease or time. (There are better options: Like a small screw in hook/eye bolts- Read "Shedhunta" on  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=152252;p=1)

I still do not like the idea of leaving a hanging harness in the public or non-exclusive woods as you educate others as to where you are hunting.

Get LW sticks and a stand.  Search other posts on this as some of us are exclusively portable and have worked out systems for years.  Check out  http://tbwpodcast.com/video-55-turkey-vests-and-stand-modifications-with-dan-rudman/  

My 2C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
I have used both in the past and still use the Chippewa, I find super easy to put up and very solid.  Chippewa gets my vote.

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
I have both and prefer the chippewa it is rock solid and super easy to hang with that said I do like the lone wolf for the weight to size ratio of the platform. If i was going to choose one stand it would be the chippewa . My oldest one has spent the majority of its 15 years in the same tree year round , I did replace the foam and seat cover this year but for the most part it looks the same as the day I bought it. I hope this helps.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Although I don't have experience wIth both I have been using a Lone Wolf Assault and the lone wolf sticks for probably 8 years.  LW is extreamly quiet very rarely will it make any noise and then it is because it is not seated on the tree correctly.
Just yesterday evening I went in using the LW and sticks, had two does stand up later about 50 yards away.
 So, although I don't know about the Chippewas, I do know you won't go wrong with the LW.
 Oh, I just use and stack the sticks as they were designed to be carried. My only mod is to cover the buckles on the stand and sticks so they don't bump and make noise.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
They are both great.  I own and used a Chippewa and think the world of it.  I team it with LW climbing sticks and can go anywhere fairly quickly and quietly.   I never used a Lone Wolf but friends do.
CHuckC

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
I like the lone wolf climber. Almost no limits where you can hunt with no pre planning at all.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
I'll be watching this one

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
I own several Chippewas and don't see any reason to try another stand.  Iv messed with a LW a couple of times and it was defiantly harder to hang IMHO. Now I don't have a lot of experience with LW but haven't found anything in a LW that would make me want to switch.  I like that I can have the WedgLoc by the platform in the upright position and know ounce I hook it over the cable, all is well!  And a more Sturdy stand will be hard to find!!!!

Pick either one and I doubt you'll be disappointed...
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
I have used only the lone wolf. I use the assault and carry 4 sticks. I can pretty much get anywhere I need to and do so quickly and quietly. I don't foresee me ever going to anything else, I love it that much.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
I own several dozen different  stands. IF I'm going in to hang a stand a for the first time and hunt immediately I'll always have a LW and sticks on my back.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
I own several dozen different  stands. IF I'm going in to hang a stand for the first time and hunt immediately I'll always have a LW and sticks on my back.

But I don't own a Chappewa however I can't imagine it being better, easier to hang and  more dead quiet as a LW.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
May I elaborate on one thing I brought up above. . . Again I have had both.  I agree with the Chippewa users- it is an amazing rock solid stand.  

HOWEVER, as I mentioned, as a completely portable hunter I have never found a tree that a LW will NOT work in.  ON THE OTHER HAND- there are many trees I sit where a Chippewa would never work.  Smaller diameters, extra large diameters, crooked trees, and trees with lots of limbs (like my favorite- cedar trees) can all be a problem.  I had a friend (who posts here in TG) here in KS last year.  I sent him to a tree.  His Wedge-loc would not work as the tree was TOO large for the bottom "V." I use that tree all the time with a LW.  The Chippewa also has TWO vertical posts and needs a large enough trunk to wedge onto.  This would eliminate its use in many of the cedar tree set ups I like.

Again- just consider. Its just my 2C worth
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
I love & have several of both, but if I could only have one, it would be the lone wolf for the reasons KSDan states... I also like the XOP stands which are similar to Lone Wolf. I prefer the batwing bracket, but if you want to utilize a hanging hook or bracket, both the lone wolf & XOP can be hung that way. Plus I use their sticks and they integrate/pack well together... Both are excellent!

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
X2

Got both the original 8.5lb lone wolf assault and the 8lb Chippewa ghost.

Both great stands, the lone wolf like others will fit more crooked trees, but u can put the Chippewa ghost in spots the platform of the lone wolf won't fit.

The Chippewa is more solid, I think the angle of the cables don't grind into ur boots like the lone wolf when u stand on the back of the platform.

The chain mounting system is far easier that the strap system Chippewa sells, the chain U can get in smaller trees.

For the the most part u need a straight comfortable spot to hang a stand of any kind.

So it's 6 of one half dozen the other.

On public deep Unknown treks I use the Chippewa and cranford ezy rod rope steps. That set up is light and fits in ur back pack.

I sprayed several coats of plasti dip on the chain, it makes the chain silent, I did 4 coats.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
the lone wolf sticks are probably the fasters way to climb, ezy rod screw in steps 2nd, ezy Rod rope steps 3rd.

Can't use screws in in some states on public, most all of them.

Lone wolf sticks not real compact but fast, ezy Rod rope steps not as fast but compact and trees with super rough bark makes it's slower.

Lone wolf, Hang the 1st stick then the second, climb back down, hook a stick on each side of ur harness that wraps around ur waist and put the stand on ur back and ur done.

Wedge loc, have a fanny pack with ur steps, stand on ur back, and hook the chain around ur waist and go up.

They both truly have there place

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keb:
the lone wolf sticks are probably the fasters way to climb, ezy rod screw in steps 2nd, ezy Rod rope steps 3rd.

Can't use screws in in some states on public, most all of them.

Lone wolf sticks not real compact but fast, ezy Rod rope steps not as fast but compact and trees with super rough bark makes it's slower.

Lone wolf, Hang the 1st stick then the second, climb back down, hook a stick on each side of ur harness that wraps around ur waist and put the stand on ur back and ur done.

Wedge loc, have a fanny pack with ur steps, stand on ur back, and hook the chain around ur waist and go up.

They both truly have there place
It is sounding like it would be nice to have both options, my wife probably wouldn't be too proud if I bought it all at once though.

How is the little Ghost, it looks tiny? I love the idea of being able to stuff it in a pack and go but seems so small.  I am torn between it and the super ghost or quest.  Any trouble with drawing elbow getting into the tree if not hunting very high up and shooting straight out front?

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Had both for many years. Both great stands. Ease of hanging is same.  

I sold my Chippewas.  LW is more portable, lighter, and more versatile for smaller trees etc.  The idea that having the hanging harness in the tree ahead of time really does nothing for ease or time. (There are better options: Like a small screw in hook/eye bolts- Read "Shedhunta" on    http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=152252;p=1)  

I still do not like the idea of leaving a hanging harness in the public or non-exclusive woods as you educate others as to where you are hunting.

Get LW sticks and a stand.  Search other posts on this as some of us are exclusively portable and have worked out systems for years.  Check out    http://tbwpodcast.com/video-55-turkey-vests-and-stand-modifications-with-dan-rudman/    

My 2C
Dan in KS
Thanks for the links Dan, the more I read the more I want both.  I just have to figure out which I will buy first.  I think even on private ground I used to hunt growing I will pack in/out except maybe a few ladderstands.  Seems a lot safer than leaving stands out in the elements and probably keep deer from getting onto you as quick.

I can't use the screw in hooks mentioned in the link on the public ground here but have read that the ez hang hook can be used even with the batwing with paracord.  That is a big thing for me with either brand, I guess I am just not coordinated and strong enough to hang stands without some way of supporting the weight and freeing up both hands for the straps.

Guess I am leaning towards Lone Wolf sticks too but has anyone used the Chippewa sticks and know what they weigh?  I have an e-mail out to them but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks again for all the responses, keep them coming if you have more thoughts.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
If u can only buy one.

Get the lone wolf assault and sticks or take a look at xops new stand vanish and sticks.

If I had to pick one and let the others go I'd take the assault and 3 sticks

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
The ghost is small, I never had a problem shooting from it, it's a great little stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©