3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural Ground Blinds.  (Read 795 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural Ground Blinds.
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
The first is the blind with me in it, in a color photo.   The second is the blind in black and white, supposedly how deer see it.  I had my hat off for the photo because I left it by the camera   "[dntthnk]"     They do show that one can become part of the landscape by being still...even without camo.   The photos were taken at the lower end of my woods, next to a decent trail.   The surveryor's tape marks the western line of the woods...in case you wanted to know 8^).

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural Ground Blinds.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Very well hidden, George. Jawge

Offline 300lbleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
flannelflage.
love the stuff.
jamie
SO SIMPLE...
A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Looks like a good spot you have there George. I was in a "natural" blind yesterday myself.A nice size pinoak came down and you know how those babies hold their leaves.Sat on a spackle bucket brown and tan plaid shirt, Trad Gang camo hat, face mask, and a pair of my Real Tree Deep Timber pants. I had 7 or 8 turkeys feeding 5 yards out for 20 minutes or so. Never even knew I was there. One of them had a 4" beard too.Then I had a squirrel that wouldn't leave me alone must of thought I was another squirrel or some kind of nut!I will wack a deer this season on the ground.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Ya know, after looking at both pictures a while the thing that sticks out to me is that the leaves take on a very light, almost gray tint in the black and white photo. What makes me notice you the most in the photo is the darkness of your clothes. I tend to favor the darker pants and dark plaids also. I wonder if a lighter color would blend in a little better? I always feel like I'm shining if I wear light colors. Especially early in the morning and in the evening. Any comments?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Another candidate for Groundpounders Inc...Nice George....good luck in your new "home".  :thumbsup:    ;)    :clapper:  

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
what are you guys sitting on in those pics?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I have a folding stool I carry from time to time.
This one is just a stump that's next to the tree.

Bodork....a gray hooded sweatshirt disappears in backgrounds like these.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Looks Good George.
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I see you better in the B&W picture. Guess that is why deer see movement so easily. I like that blind. Looks like some thing I would sit in.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Pic in previous post (and how tha heck do you get multiple photobucket shots into a single post?) --is one of my three primary elk blinds, which together have given me more close clean elk kills over the past 25 years than I care to admit. These are serious blinds, not just squat-down spots for a few minutes. In this spot and other like it, I can sit for hours and stay in the shade and downwind of the well-used elk wallow (mud in background). I can move around. I can feel relaxed. This took much study over a long time to get it right, and how it has paid off over the years! Just a bit of brush piled up in front to waist height, plaid jacket and camo face maks (does anyone sell a plaid face mask?), a tree to lean against and provide daylong shade, a down log to sit on, a foot-deep hole dug out for foot comfort, and more brush behind to break up outline and conceal small movements. Mid-September this year I watched a 5x5 bull stand broadside and look around, then wallow for 20 minutes, all at 14 yards from this blind. Previous years I've watched whole herds come in and splash and play ... and never once had one even glance my way. And yes, elk have died here! No Quadruple Bull, Etc. needed or wanted -- just good old-fashioned woodsmanship and a visit to the chosen site a couple of weeks before opening each year, with small folding Gerber saw and e-tool. Thanks for a good thread, George. How much more fun, and cheaper, it is to study the old ways of doing things, rather than studying what we should buy next. Dave

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
If I got the photobucket magic right, here is Alex Bugnon sitting in the same wallow blind.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
If he didn't have the blue cap on, we couldn't see him at all in plaid.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys!  Being able to actual see your set ups will really help me in the woods.  

Keep them coming.

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm also a big fan of natural ground blinds and enjoy seeing others. Here's some pics of my current blind

I built up the back with sticks and leaves for added concealment.

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Here's a setup I'm using/working on right now. Taking advantage of recent blowdowns(on the advice from Joe Skipp ,thanks) this is what I have so far.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
Dave2old...here's a b/w version:  He's not there anymore 8^).

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
Dave2old.sewing up a plaid headnet is easy.You can buy the material at any fabric shop or use the back out of an old flannel shirt.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
I've been using my old all purpose grey fleece pants, a light brown/black plaid flannel shirt over a duofold wool blend base layer shirt, and a camo fleece headcover, which really traps the body heat well. The only time I've been picked off was when I was wearing tan pants. I don't think the doe knew what I was. She just knew something was different and slowly backed out of there. I've added more brush since then because the sun hits pretty hard in the early afternoon.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©