3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small game hunting over deer hunting?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Small game hunting over deer hunting?
« on: December 03, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
As I get older, I've found that I have less interest in logging long hours in a tree stand or in a blind waiting for maybe one shot opportunity to try to harvest a deer. Don't get me wrong, I love eating venison and shooting a deer with trad tackle is a thrill that's hard to beat. That said, I'm losing interest in the long hours. The thought of hunting small game, where you can move and hunt, and when you do sit stil, l it might only be for 45 minutes or so.

Have any of you experienced the same thing? If so, what do you hunt now? Rabbits, squirrels, pheasants...? And how do you hunt them?
Pics would be fun too.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small game hunting over deer hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
I'll keep your stands warm buddy!  I'd love to try some squirrel & rabbits hunting myself.  I've tried pheasants with my bow.  Thank goodness Jack had his 20 gauge!

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Hahaha. My hunting property also has rabbit and squirrels, so more shooting equals more fun!

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I'm only in my late 20's and I've always said from my earliest ages of hunting that small game hunts and bird hunting are a more enjoyable hunt.  I deer hunt regularly and love the meat but I enjoy the pursuit of small game much, much more.  

As a traditional bowhunter I have actually built my arrows around my small game hunting needs.  I use footed carbons for improved durability against rocks and live tree trunks for when hunting rabbits and squirrels.  I only shoot 125gr points because I can get my favorite small game head (RFA Talons) and Judo points in that weight.  To bring my FOC and kenetic energy up for deer and hogs, I went to 100gr brass inserts.  The brass is also a little more forgiving on hard impacts to rocks than aluminum and steel.  This lets me shoot targets, 3D, stumps, small game, deer, pigs, and birds all with an identical point weight setup.

As for how I hunt, it depends largely on the season.  I use spot and stalk most frequently.  I scout for deer sign and funnels in the pre-season and post season when small game hunting.  I plan to hunt every opportunity throughout fall and winter that I can but I only chase deer when weather conditions are ideal for it.  The rest of the time I go out for small game and I'm almost always happy that I did.  I hunt small game with a variety of weapons including shotguns, rimfire rifles, rimfire pistols, high end adult airguns, and my longbow.  Which weapon I take with me varies with season, area to be hunted, and my mood although I enjoy the airguns and longbow the most.  The shotguns and rimfires go out because they are family guns and I just love the memories that always come back, sentiment, and pride of ownership when I can take out my grandfathers' tools that fed my parents and still put food on the table.  My tactics vary a little but I most frequently use spot and stalk or hike and sit/break.  I have a couple of handmade small game calls from Jeremy Holden here that go out with me and help.  

Small game hunting is a blast and is truly one of the most enjoyable experiences you can have in the woods.  I think quite a few other folks feel the same way as there is almost always a small game article in Traditional Bowhunting and other smaller hunting magazines.  However, I don't think it gets a lot of commercial advertisement because companies can't sell a lot of crap to support the hobby.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Following your own current style of personal gratification doesn't require justification.

We are individually unique yet in the same boat and we are all seasick.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks, Friend. I'm not really looking for justification, just perspective and insight.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm hooked on whitetails I guess. Bro ice fishes in winter, but I can't because archery is on til the 15th of January.  I'm addicted to deer......
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Don't blame you, kennym. Whitetails are a lot of fun!!!

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm with you LF1. After 40 years of bow hunting for deer I just don't seem to have the same drive for the early morning rises and the all day sits. I much more prefer stump shooting now. Most of it is done during a small game season so I have the option for both. I get much more enjoyment out of roving, scouting, hiking and shooting.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
I've had a good deer season but I have been out three times squirrel hunting and really enjoyed it.  I always seem to have more fun small game hunting.

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »

Beagles and bunnies can be a challenge....and a lot of fun.

Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
For rabbits find the biggest messiest farm grove you can. Show them your wood arrow with blunts and your longbow and beg.   Some farm groves north east of me have many rabbits, on warmer sunny winter days, it is way more fun than deer hunting.  The less snow cover the better.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Luckily, the two activities aren't mutually inclusive in this state.  I hunt deer until the season closes, unless I limit out earlier, of course.  Then I turn my attention to rabbits and squirrels.  Life is good. And when all of that is over, I give stumps a good thumping.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
I only bought a small game license this year for Arkansas...no deer.
My quiver has only a couple of broadheads and the rest are small game arrows with various types of fletching for aerial or ground game. I like to walk, explore, and have fun.
At my age and the large places that I hunt, killing a deer would not be much fun.
I just have to relearn how to hunt for rabbits and squirrels with a longbow.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
I don't get many chances at deer.....if at all. Small game is fun but unless I'm with someone who will use it I won't shoot squirrels and rabbits. I don't kill game that I don't eat. I eat venison........just never get to very often.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
"I don't get many chances at deer.....if at all. Small game is fun but unless I'm with someone who will use it I won't shoot squirrels and rabbits. I don't kill game that I don't eat. I eat venison........just never get to very often."

Ron PM me your address and I'll send you up a few packs of fresh Venison Sausage for Christmas,  

Butcher shop made with Pork and spices in "Sweet Italian"
"Us vs Them"

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
I enjoy hunting the small critters, but I'm not going to miss deer hunting to do it!

Bisch

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
Anybody made string silencers with a rabbit pelt? I saw several snowshoe hares today while hiking in to climb ice. I'd like to try hunting them with my longbow, make dinner with the meat and tan the hides. Those white hides this time of year are so beautiful! Anyone else make something neat with the hides?
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
I love small game hunting with my recurve more than deer hunting. I shot 2 rabbits 3 years ago running( totally luck) and have been hooked since. I still love yo deer hunt but if I had to choose it would be small game.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
I always got more kicks out of hunting rabbits and quail.  I think if i lived a little more to the east I would go pig hunting over deer hunting.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©