3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small game hunting over deer hunting?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small game hunting over deer hunting?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »
I'm with you, Dennis.  I much prefer small game hunting to deer hunting.  I even got a beautiful new private area to hunt this year, have seen over 50 deer so far, but still don't enjoy hunting whitetail nearly so much as chasing small critters.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I'm with you, Dennis.  I much prefer small game hunting to deer hunting.  I even got a beautiful new private area to hunt this year, have seen over 50 deer so far, but still don't enjoy hunting whitetail nearly so much as chasing small critters.
:thumbsup:

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
Our deer season is over in early January and then I chase squirrels and rabbits.Getting a group together now to have a squirrel stick bow hunt with lunch over the grill mid day-to let us older guys a chance to rest up for the afternoon. Looking forward to having some fun with others as I always bowhunt deer alone.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
Our deer season is over in early January and then I chase squirrels and rabbits.Getting a group together now to have a squirrel stick bow hunt with lunch over the grill mid day-to let us older guys a chance to rest up for the afternoon. Looking forward to having some fun with others as I always bowhunt deer alone.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I do a rabbit bowhunt on a friend's 20 acre slice of heaven each year. Bowhunting rabbits is not the best method of filling the game bag but you tend to remember each one better. It's done best with two hunters, one beating the bush and one blocking at the end of the cover. Shot this one running in heavy cover. Oh yeah, don't forget the fluorescent orange when hunting with others.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
I've always had more fun hunting small game. Unfortunately I have to travel just as far to find small game hunting as I do to hunt larger game. Heck, I would even know where to go to find good rabbit hunting.

I used to get quit a few rabbits on my few acres but as the trees grew the ground cover disappeared. I think it's time to do some cutting because the "clean"ground doesn't do much for the deer either.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
When I lived out west the small game hunting was awesome. There were only a couple months out of the year that I was shut in. I sure miss it. Not to mention how deadly I was on big game after shooting small game so much.                  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
It's rabbet hunting season!
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
   Not in the fossil records yet, however am 58 and have been shooting a stick since 8 yrs of age

   Have not been in a stand since 2007...Find continued justification in relentless pursuit of those whitetail critters personally warranted by the gifted fulfilling experience incurred.

   Find continued justification in relentless pursuit of those whitetail critters personally warranted by the gifted fulfilling experience incurred.

   The heightened anticipation occurs continually during the hunt's anticipation and is fueled by the extensive planning, strategizing, lengthy prep and labor

   Passing on shot opportunities and close range viewing is most fulfilling

   Have, without the slightest exaggeration, taken solid separate shot opportunity passes on 40 bucks, thus far this season The furthest buck included was 20 yards with the vast majority within the 10 to 14 yard range. Did not loose an arrow on a single buck last season and could very well be the case this season...always a hopeful expectation, however not a personal requirement for fulfillment.

   Already, developing strategy, planning and work to start immediately after season and thru the winter months and likely into the summer regarding three particular ground setups...enthusiasm is high and wishing to get started as soon as possible.

   There has been a compelling direct correlation in the fulfillment obtained in relation to the effort expended...passed on 22 sold shot opportunities on bucks from the ground last season. The ground game is improving.

   Do find my ground setups increasingly designed to permit considerably more comfort and protection from the elements

   If confidence wains, then it is an easy decision. I cut the hunt short which has occurred once this season

   Do enjoy small game pursuit and chase bunnies after season, however more fervently endeavor to pursue ground carp in the summer months.

   Firmly believe in and respect following our own personal venues which produce personal fulfillment
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
I never developed a great interest in small game, as I was so enthralled in deer hunting. However, I just can't sit in a deer stand nearly as long I used to do. I can't eat mammal meat of any kind due to Alpha Gal allergy, so I just hunt less overall.
Sam

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
LF1  I love both deer and small game and don't see giving up either.  

Regarding your desire not to sit for such long periods for deer...what about taking up still hunting?  Not sure what kind of terrain and habitat you're hunting in, but maybe that's one way to get off the long sits and still enjoy deer hunting.  Sit for 30 minutes or so and move along a bit.  Have both broadheads and small game arrows in the quiver and you can do both at the same time!
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I enjoy hunting the small critters, but I'm not going to miss deer hunting to do it!

Bisch
X2! Deer hunting is on my brain 365 days a year.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
I love to hunt Whitetails, but since moving back to Southern Illinois, I am in small game heaven.
   Squirrels, Rabbits, Waterfowl etc. and not always with a bow, (all my Deer hunting is with a bow).
   I cut my teeth on hunting squirrels with a 22 when I was a kid, still one of my favorite pastimes to go for a walk in the woods. I love eating them as well one of my favorites. Just happened to cook up a batch this morning, fried and smothered with gravy, yummy!

Ron this would make a believer out of you, lol.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
Oh trust me Tater......I have eaten a few of the critters fried up with bacon and onions.....but nobody else in the house likes it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Great stuff here, guys! Thanks! Charlie, that's some great shooting. Wow!.

That's a lot of deer you're passing up, Friend! The enjoyment of the hunt is clearly not predicated on the harvest of game.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by FlintNSteel:
LF1  I love both deer and small game and don't see giving up either.  

Regarding your desire not to sit for such long periods for deer...what about taking up still hunting?  Not sure what kind of terrain and habitat you're hunting in, but maybe that's one way to get off the long sits and still enjoy deer hunting.  Sit for 30 minutes or so and move along a bit.  Have both broadheads and small game arrows in the quiver and you can do both at the same time!
Maybe that's the ticket. I've considered spending more time mule deer hunting because they're more susceptible to spot and stalk.

Tater-Man does that look delish!!!   :clapper:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
Buy this time of the year I am ready for a change.  I have been deer and elk hunting since the beginning of September.  I love to set up in a low tree stand and shoot squirrels.
T ZZZZ

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
I know just what you mean tracker12. I prefer small game hunting when I don't have an open season on deer or elk, even antelope on a rare occasion.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
Squirrel and dumplings, oh boy, can't get any better than that.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
I used to be so hung up on sitting as long as I could while hunting deer.  It was to the point where I rued going out.

I thought if I wasn't looking forward to the hunt I was doing something wrong.  So I switched it up.

I love getting up early in the a.m., and drinking coffee in my rocking chair while the sun comes up.  I sleep like garbage the night before if I'm planning on hunting the next morning.  It's not excitement, it's the anticipation I'm not gonna get the spot I want as I hunt only public land.

Now I wake up early, do my thing at home, get the kiddos off to school and then hit the woods.

I'll hunt from 9 or 10 till sunset.  I know I miss out on some movement times.  But I have yet to get to where I want to sit and find someone.  They are usually walking out as I'm walking in.

Maybe you just need to adjust your times?

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©