3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Here's your sign!  (Read 614 times)

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Here's your sign!
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Is exactly what I'd be saying if I could find any.   :(   Has anyone else noticed this year that there isn't as much sign or no sign at all. I really talking about rubs/scrapes. It seems this year in NE  Ohio that there just aren't any deer rubbing. I have only seen 2 small rubs so far and probably walked 15 miles in the woods.

Anybody know what's going on or having the same problem??
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Here's your sign!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
I just spent about 3 hours this morning scouting a new patch of public land. I know the deer are there, and there are plenty of acorns on the ground. But very little sign. I only found one trail even worth sitting by, but it was right on the edge of the property. I'd rather avoid the hassle of trailing a deer onto private property. Not a single rub or scrape anywhere.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Finally seeing some rubs here in NY and a couple scrapes in Jersey this past weekend. Did notice some smaller bucks chasing does though.

My son had a 6 pt nose to the ground dogging 2 does Friday morning, his shot was a tad low and all he ended up with was hair....

My buddy Bamboo and I will be in CT all week and we feel the timing is just about right. Last year we hit it perfect and came home with a few nice whitetails.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
seeing a lot of rubs but no scrapes here in NY. no acorns or beech nuts at all which is where i usally set up. have saw MANY deer, all does and 1 button buck. heavy wind and rain killed this weekend pretty much.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Have a scrape & rubs in my back yard...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Yesterday Larry [recurve50lbs] and myself hunted state land and found a "honey hole" so to speak..There's a 3" diameter tree rubbed up pretty good.On the edge of a grassy field there    were scraps under at least four trees. The biggest  had a broken licking branch over it.The rain stopped around two yesterday afternoon we figured the buck or bucks had to come in and freshen them . No deer showed . It has to be the full moon and the swirling winds that must have kept the deer away.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
scraping everywhere here in the Hoosier State

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
hmmm this is very confusing
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
TJ,

Down here in Central Ohio I am seeing rubs everywhere, a few scrapes and then a few really big rubs.  Don't know why the deer up your way aren't doing the same.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
I have seen scrapes earlier this year compared to past seasons.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
I am seeing a few rubs but no sign of rutting activity. I believe both you and I in NY will start to see things pick up by the end of the week and by the 4th. of Nov. it will be starting up pretty good. It had been warm this fall and the Full Moon hit us a tad early so pushed things back a bit as far as scrapes and rubs and such, but will start the actual breeding phase a bit earlier believe it or not, so look out the second and start of the third week of November. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
TJ,

Don't worry.  I'm about 15 miles from you.  Trust me when I tell you the switch will get thrown around the 4th-6th of November.  No sign early is a good thing.  This year, when it's on, it'll be on hard and fast.  Shawn pretty much nailed it.  This whole month, especially the second and third weeks, are going to be hot.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »
One scrape and one rub in my tiny hunting area here in Indiana. See "Big ol Narly Horned Buck" for a pic of a big rub.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 05:38:00 AM »
Despite searching high and low, I haven't seen the tiniest bit of whitetail sign; just the usual pig sign and a wallow made by a wandering buffalo. Okay, I'll stop being a silly bugger...

Good hunting, and I hope you guys connect with the deer. Cheers!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
Thanks guys! I thought I was loosing my mind. I'll be out later this week looking hard

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rugrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
I was out yesterday and had a large buck come by after some does. The rut is starting!

MD

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Had 4 bucks come off a ridge right by my stand last Sunday evening.  That's pretty good sign I guess.  I'm seeing the same thing here too.  I have yet to find a fresh rub.  I've got a pretty good idea where there are some rubs on the property, but I don't want to go into that area just yet.  Still, I am a little surprised that I have not seen any rubs in some other areas.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
The rubs and fresh scrapes just recently started showing up everywhere here. The does have been pestered by the younger bucks for over 2 weeks though. I'm taking most of next week off to hunt all day.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
I'm just now seeing sign, but this looks pretty good to me...  :-p

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Looks good to me to! Hopefully we see plenty of that down at the deer camp

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©