3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sunset hill bows?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
Sunset hill bows?
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Been hearing about them but I can't seem to find a website or contact number?

They still around?

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sunset hill bows?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Nate is not taking any orders as of now you can get his info from Traditional Bowhunters Society forum
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Some guys have been waiting years (yes, years) for one of Nate's bows.  I'm sure they are fine bows but no bow will cause me to wait that long--I don't have that long at my age.     ;)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Just gathering as much info as I can I think I'm going to go with a HH for my first due to the quick build time maybe a JD berry or Northern mist after that.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
The very best :-)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
I was in line for a white glassed one, but my daughter needed transportation that pretty much took a huge bite out of my available finances for the near future and as injury prone as I have been this year, my chiro and rehab bills have gotten out of hand as well, so I had to pass.  Of course I maybe could have sold stuff when the time came, but I am better at giving away archery stuff than selling it.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
two4hooking, absolute classic set up.  Very nice.
Some beautiful Hills out there right now. Don't overlook James Berry or Steve Turay/Northern Mist. They make some incredible Hill style bows.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Well made bows are well made bows, but I am not willing to wait for undue lengths of time to get one. There are very good bows that both look good and perform well  that have a fairly quick turn around from order to delivery. Still, it sure would be nice to have one of Nate's bows. I have several HHA bows, and a couple of Northern Mist bows that perform better than I can and are quite nice looking. There are lots of bowyers making great stuff. So, even though Nate is not taking new orders, we can still get an adequate supply of bows. Maybe he will resume taking new orders in the future. Let's hope so.
Sam

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
Nate makes an awesome bow and am sure he is well back logged.  Nothing wrong with Steve's Bows either.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Nate's bow making is strictly a side line endeavor as he has a full time business to run.  It would be great if he were able to get in production on a regular basis. The closest I will probably ever get to a Sunset Hill is the Schulz Trophy Hunter that he tweaked for the guy I bought it from.  So I will assume it performs pretty close to where he has his.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
For a first hill style bow?  HH, NM, or JD?

Closest I ever has was a roberston purist which i enjoyed but was too strong for me at the time.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Craig at Howard Hill Archery can build you a nice Hill bow.  Here is my Wesley Special. 64" and 54# @ 27". Black Glass on back and belly and riser of Macassar Ebony and Macassar Ebony on the tips. I absolutely love this bow! And his turn around time is about 6 weeks or less. Best of Luck to you!

Steve

"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
I have always wondered what a Purist would shoot like that was 66" at my less than 27" draw.   64" is the longest that ever played with.   I have a yew/bamboo from a blank with a bit more slope in the lams that is 68", it is my best shooting right hand bow.  This fall I got a kick out of the response I got from a Bear Grizzly shooter, that was in the process of telling me how Hill style bows had less speed, more stability maybe, and way more hand shock.  He  was in a bit of shock to discover that my bow is not slow, is definitely more stable, less harsh than his Grizzly and has no hand shock.  I have my fingers crossed that the Hill he says he is getting shoots like mine.  I would bet Nate's bows are soft in the hand as well.

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
I would give my Schulz bow for one of Nate's....  No question....  He is really one of the best.
Cheers
Alex

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
KimSha Archery makes nice Hill bows.

301-934-5234
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I have shot a Sunset Hill and it is the finest ASL I have ever shot.  The only bow I would never get rid of. RC

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Check out jet longbows
Dan Breen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©