3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bearpaw Fletching Jig  (Read 560 times)

Offline AlanD

• Trad Bowhunter
Bearpaw Fletching Jig
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
For those that have used the Bearpaw Fletching Jig does it allow for nock indexing adjustments. Meaning allowing you to fletch feathers a couple degrees offset from center of the nock.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bearpaw Fletching Jig
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
My Bearpaw fletching jig does not, although it is possible that newer models may be different, as mine is a few years old.

The Martin J8 allows nock indexing adjustments.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline AlanD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Thank you for the reply. (I was tied up a couple days) The thing that interested me with the Bearpaw was the guide for the clamp. I use fletching tap and with my BPE jig you have to get it perfect before the tape touches. So I thought the guide might help. But I do need of offset the nock/fletching.
Does the Martin J8 have a guide?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Both the Martin and Bearpaw have guides.  Both have plastic clamps that are held on with magnets.  My Bearpaw has an elongated arm that allows you to place fletches further up the shaft if you wish.  The Martin has a wider clamp than the Bearpaw which accomplishes somewhat the same purpose, though not with as much range as the Bearpaw arm.

The Bearpaw guide seems somewhat better suited to your purpose of precisely positioning fletching tape.  The Martin guide is really just butting the clamp against the nock receiver.  I would imagine both could be used with fletching tape, with a little practice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline AlanD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
Thank you for your help.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
McDave,

Please, if you know on the Bearpaw jig, what is the configuration of the 4 fletch?
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Alan,
Don't waste your money. Just buy a Bitz and be done with it. The Bitz can be set for off set on the nock end and on the front end. This is only my opinion.

Grouse

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
Bob, I haven't actually used the 4 fletch setting on the Bearpaw.  From looking at it, I can see that the cock feather is mounted in exactly the same position as the 3 fletch, which is approximately 9:00. This would mean that the other feathers are mounted at approx 12:00, 3:00, and 6:00, since the stops are 90* apart (not 120*/60*, like some other 4 fletches are).  Since 9/12/3/6 would be far from an ideal configuration for me, I wouldn't use the Bearpaw for 4 fletches unless I was using adjustable nocks, and I could twist the shaft into a configuration that provided better clearance.

Grouse, I also like the Bitz, but Alan's question was about indexing adjustments.  The Bitz allows adjustments for front and rear offset, but the only indexing adjustments are by using alternate sets of holes in the indexer.  Since none of the pre-drilled index holes suited me, I bought an indexer with a blank row, so I could drill my own holes.  Now that I have customized it, I really do like the Bitz better, but drilling your own holes in an indexer is more trouble that a lot of people would like to go to.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Thanks McDave,

I have never been sold on the 90* set-up.  

Thanks for looking into it.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©