3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for greener pastures around Carolinas  (Read 798 times)

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for greener pastures around Carolinas
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I've been hunting hard down in Jackson and macon counties of nc. This year I saw 4 deer in 3 months. The reality is there is maybe 5 deer per square mile here and tons of woods to hide in. I don't need to kill one all the time but it sure would be nice to see more.
I'm looking for a decent sized gameland, ideally within 3 hours, that has decent deer numbers. I'm willing to go out of state to North Georgia or south Carolina. I have looked at going around Spartanburg down to the delta wma in union sc. Anyone have any experience that could point me towards some areas? I'm a little wary of hunting in that south carolina heat.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for greener pastures around Carolinas
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Have you considered Kentucky?

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
Kentucky would be a little far, definitely too far to the good hunting. I'm in the southwest part of nc about an hour from sc and ga.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
I haven't seen much going on on this side of the mountain either. Lots of acorns so I guess the deer don't have to travel looking for food.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
If you decide on SC, I have contacts in the upstate, Greenwood area.
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Sent you a PM
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
Suggest you join Carolina Traditional Bowhunters as they have quite a few members in west NC. You may get some good suggestions from them. I used to have a lease in Alleghany County near the town of Sparta.  A lot of deer in that area. Unfortunately almost all is private land and you will likely have to lease property to hunt there.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
have not saw as many deer this year as last.....acorns were thick....hunters were thicker.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm also looking at green river gamelands in Polk county and south mountain gamelands. Anyone have any experience in those areas? South Carolina non res tags would cost me $300 and that's not worth it to me for a few trips a year

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
You might just keep at it. One of my best spots in Oklahoma I didn't really see much the first year...especially in the early season. It takes time to learn an area and late season is the time to figure it out. It's really hard to figure out much of anything in the early season.
3 years in a row hunting the same area and I've had shots at mature bucks and taken does several times. Unfortunately being tagged out on bucks stinks

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
3top and Rich mountain both have alot more deer than what youre seeing right now, and some great deer as well if you put in the work. Its getting harder and harder to find private land up here in the mountains. If I were in your shoes I would head to Watauga and Ashe, maybe wilkes, i hear good things about the gamelands around kerr scott.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
South Mountain has some good deer but is hunted hard.....lots of bear too....how do I say this also.....lots of "night" hunters too......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline NCArrowflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
I am in the same area as you and our property is surrounded on three side by Pisgah National Forest pretty close to the Jackson/Transylvania county lines. Tons of acorns and not seeing hardly any this year. I am headed to GA some next year. My brother in law manages some land for the state just north of Atlanta and have some property available to hunt around Clayton GA as well. I can send you some info on WMA's in those areas as well, I used to do pretty good around the Gainesville area on WMA's when I lived there.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
I feel for you - my son attends WCU and confirms the crappy deer population in that area.  I tried Green River public area and didn't like it, hunted South Mtn public area and it was better but the local poaching was bad.  When I lived in SC, I had some success on Sumpter NF land near Newberry and Clemson, more so for turkeys than deer.  Not worth the price IMO.  Your best bet is to hunt GA - you'll see a lot more deer and also have good chances at hogs, bear and turkey.  Join the TBG and go on some of their public land member hunts, especially the ones in northern GA like at Cuhutta.  GA's public land is far superior to anything I have seen in NC.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
Nantahala Nut - I feel your pain.

Graham county, NC.
- Antlered bucks per square mile 0.20    :(
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Yeah I've looked at that map dozens of times. Sincere thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread and messaged me. I've gotten a lot of great info and it looks like I will be making a few trips down to south Carolina. Thinking union county for deer and I've heard there's some good hog numbers around a lake between Greenville and Anderson.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
That's funny, we have some of the highest human populated area in the country,along with some of the highest population of deer in the country, go figure ?

Not trying to rub it in, just saying. I looked up your area on the map, lots of nice woods ! We have hardly any real woods, construction everywhere and deer everywhere also, should be the other way around.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
My recommendation is take up squirrel hunting after Jan 2nd. While walking, a lot, for squirrel, look for deer trails. They won't be as obvious as in smaller tracts and private land, but the evidence will be there if deer are there.

Come to Asheboro and we'll walk Birkhead after Jan 2nd. This season I have seen six deer on GL while the season was in. Four were in one group. The lead doe caught me raising my bow to draw. I heard one blow as I walked out one night. No shots. With open game lands, seeing one is great. Getting a shot is more rare. Actually bringing one in for processing is a huge success.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
Same story in northern Buncombe County. I saw one doe this year. Lots of red oak mast but no white oak, and the drought this  summer and fall must have altered deer movement patterns, as most springs and creeks were dry by the time the season opened.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©