3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground blind + asat (pics) Still workin on it.  (Read 2105 times)

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
ground blind + asat (pics) Still workin on it.
« on: October 28, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
With all the recent pics of different ground blind setups I figured I'd throw a few pics of mine on here too for critique. Edit: forgot to add a thank you to Joe Skipp for his advice on ground setups. So thank you Joe Skipp!
At full draw in color

and in black-n-white

another bw pic

The funny thing is that the above pics were taken in late afternoon with the sun low on the horizon creating a lot of shadows. So the asat leafy suit seems to work great. But, in this one taken just after the sun dipped below the horizon, it doesn't work so great. You can clearly pick out the form of the hunter. Maybe I need some more background cover or just lighter clothes. lol

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground blind + asat (pics) Still workin on it.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Stay still and move slow when you need to. Your blind looks great.
I have used ASAT Ultimate 3D for years with great sucess on deer and turkey.
I have found that setting up in front of cover works best for me.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks JDS3. The more I look at the pics, the more I think I need more a thicker background screen. I have lots of tree tops and such from the recent storms I could drag over behind me.

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
I still think your human form is pretty well-camoed even after the shadows are gone.  Feel free to share the tips Joe Skipp gave you too!
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Still looks good to me....might be interesting to see what you look like in front of the blow down, rather than behind it.  I also try to setup with the cover behind me.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Looks real good...now all you have to do is wait for the right shot opportunity and bring home some venison..  :thumbsup:    :pray:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I'm actually sitting on a green plastic lawn chair. So the downed tree is just the right height to conceal it completely. I'm only about 17 yds. from a trail the deer generally use when they pass through, so I don't think I should setup any closer.

now all you have to do is wait for the right shot opportunity and bring home some venison.
Hopefully Joe, it's been a while.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Well it looks like it's back to the drawing board. I was sitting in this spot this evening and it took and old doe about thirty seconds to put the bee on me. She came in from the worst possible direction(like deer have an uncanny knack for doing as you all know lol), and was too close. I think she honed in on my breath vapors or maybe caught my scent, but she stomped, blew, and departed.

At any rate, I'll leave this place alone for a while and focus on a different spot, then maybe come back and try to improve this one. Any ideas?

btw Now I know why deer hunting is tough for lots of folks in the northwoods, I've been educating them quite a bit.   :knothead:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Did you cover your face at all? It shows up pretty good in the first pic.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Yep VM, my face was covered. I still think I need a better backdrop. It would be nice if blowdowns would occur exactly where you want them.lol

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
You can always give her a helping hand.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Thats true.  I plan to plant some pines around my place to have some better late season cover, so felling some of the aspens would prolly be good to give the pines some light during the growing season.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 03:10:00 AM »
Don't give up on the spot because one doe spotted you - the next deer might not.

One thing I thought I would mention is the type of chair your using. Make sure you can draw back while sitting in it. I like the fold up camp chairs without arms; and the three legged chairs for pop-up blinds. You can shoot without moving your body; and come to a full draw in more positions. ( at least when your 6-3 and shoot a longbow).   :)  

I would shoot out of the blind with a blunt tip to make sure you can pull back; and take the shots you plan to make. Amazing how twigs and branches grow up in the way just at the shot  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »
I use 100% ground blinds and also the camo material. I also cut a lot of pine and tie the branches into the blind to give me that extra coverage. But again when a deer gets to close it is almost no way they will not see, feel and scent you. I just also tie a small feather onto the bow so I can see the wind direction at all times. As they say aim small, miss small and always have the wind in your face...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
I agree with the above post on don't give up the spot becasue one deer spotted you.

I also agree with not enough back cover. I've always hunted on the ground but until this season mostly still hunted. I made several groundblinds this season and what I found is you can never have to much back cover. I've went about 50/50 half my spots I have not been busted and the other half i got busted almost every time out.

On the spots that i was getting busted alot I was tring to hide behind big red oak trees and this didn't work at. when the deer came from behind me they saw me sticking out like a sore thumb and when the came in fromthe frontthey couls somehow still see me.

The spots that did great were actually spots i thought i would get busted. I had one spot where I got 4 shots in one morning and the deer never no i was there.I'll se if i can find the pic. the spot dosn't look like much but deer have come in from all driections without spooking .

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
We've all been busted one time or another. Never give up, just make some adjustments to the blind.

If the doe came in downwind and picked up a strange scent...well...them old does "ain't stupid". Keep your movement to a minimum, check out the area thoroughly before making any movements or shifting positions.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement and help! I'm not giving up, only pulling back a bit to figure my next move. I am a little frustrated and doubtful of my setup now though, cause I didn't move a muscle as the doe came in.  

I'll tell you what! This ground hunting sure isn't as easy as some of you guys make it look.   :notworthy:

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I think your set-up is just fine. If you want my honest opinion,(OK so I'll give it to you anyway LOL) I think she smelled you. The breath vapors "may" have given you away also,but my #1 gut feeling is she smelled you.

I have been at this Ground Hound gig a LONG time LOL. Do NOT abandon your set-up!!!!! You can tell your set-up is good because she got so close in the first place!!!!! One thing that you CANNOT change is the wind. However.....You can learn to work around it,OR learn to let it work FOR YOU!!!!! By using scents and lures you can cover your scent and cause the deer to focus thier attention elsewhere.

Hang In There!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
I think your set-up is just fine. If you want my honest opinion,(OK so I'll give it to you anyway LOL) I think she smelled you. The breath vapors "may" have given you away also,but my #1 gut feeling is she smelled you.

I have been at this Ground Hound gig a LONG time LOL. Do NOT abandon your set-up!!!!! You can tell your set-up is good because she got so close in the first place!!!!! One thing that you CANNOT change is the wind. However.....You can learn to work around it,OR learn to let it work FOR YOU!!!!! By using scents and lures you can cover your scent and cause the deer to focus thier attention elsewhere.

Hang In There!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
You may be right, it was pretty still at the time. Usually it blows at angle from my front to back, and blows the scent away from the direction the deer usually come from.  My breath was coming out pretty fast at the time too. lol That's why I wasn't sure if she scented me or just noticed the growing cloud of vapor.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I hope this works- my North Dakota ground blind. . . I will post results next pci if this works.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©