3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footing 3/8" dowel rods  (Read 357 times)

Offline RonnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
Footing 3/8" dowel rods
« on: October 28, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
My wife has spent the last couple days out of town, so while the kids are at school I've had time to think.  Yeah, dangerous I know!!

Well, while out in my garage I uncovered a bunch of screw-in field points from my compound days.  I hate to throw them away so I got to thinking about footing my 3/8" ramin dowels I have.  I did a search here to see if there was any build alongs, but unfortunately I did'nt find any!!

Now, not being much of a math student, is there anyone out there who has done this?  If so, what size aluminum shaft did you use?  I just plane to use them for stumpin', but who knows?

Thanks
Ron

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footing 3/8" dowel rods
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I have a few laying around that I planed down abit and footed with a 6-inch 2315 shaft. Have yet to break or loose one, too...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Ron that would be a wopper of a shaft. Of coarse you'd be reducing it down some.
The way aluminum shafts were numbered was like the 2315 example above the 23 is diameter in 64's so it would be 23/64 1/64 shy of your 3/8 diameter. the 15 is thickness in .001's of an inch so it is .015 in thick.

So the best aluminum would be 24something maybe a 2413, then you would reduce the 3/8 dowell by the .013 and the outside would mathc the dowell.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I agree with macbow about the best being a 24xx aluminun shaft. I just used 2315's cause I had no 24xx's at the time...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline RonnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, you too Chris!!

I knew this was the spot for the answer!!  Yeah, I plan to sand 'em down a bit.  I'll just mainly be whacking stumps and such, so I won't get too fancy.

I'll post some pics when I get 'em done

Thanks Agian!

Ron B

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
In keeping with the cheap nature of dowel arrows, why not drill a hole in the point end to accept the points, and then wrap the end with carpet thread reinforced with epoxy? That works, too. You could also slip a .38 Special case over the end and drill the hole. Instant footing, and the hole would be already centered for you.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©