3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Video by Traditional Bowhunters of MT  (Read 825 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Video by Traditional Bowhunters of MT
« on: December 13, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
I was given permission by Terry to post this here, for exposure.

The Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, working with Clay Hayes, put together a short video to be mailed out to all of the legislators and FWP game commissioners in the state...to head off any incoming attempts to sneak more technology into our bow seasons.   This is a new proactive effort on our parts, to let these folks know we are watching, and to re-educate the uninformed or ill-advised about just what bowhunting is meant to be.  

I wanted to post this, also, as an example of what state organizations can do with their money to help promote and protect their own opportunities.   This video, coupled with a new "Matrix" of questions and benchmarks that any new technology must meet to be approved....is a start to trying to get in front of all this new stuff, rather than spend all our time reacting to it.

Short video, social media, and tools like this will be our best ways to fight or at least go down trying to fight for what we love to do here.  The link will take you to the TBM page that has the "cover letter", and directs you to the video.   Anyway, take a look.....

http://www.tradbowmt.org/montana-bow-hunting-and-technology.html
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Video by Traditional Bowhunters of MT
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Nice video. Good job.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
Well done and so true.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
Great video and all truths.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline Leinsg91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Amen, wish Indiana would implement restrictions as well. Bow hunting to me is having respect for the animals we hunt and relying on our SKILL to harvest them.

What's next, airbows allowed during archery season with guys killing deer at 80 yards

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Excellent video.
I don't understand why other states' wildlife agencies can't see this.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Leinsg91  yes.   That step is in the process right now in at least one state that I know of.  The State trad org is making our position known.
ChuckC

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Michigan allows use of crossbows now in regular season up here in the U.P.  It is hard to believe that they weren't put into the rifle season or something else...   My fear is that once these things pass...they DO NOT go back. Far easier to prevent it than to reverse these ridiculous allowances...

Dan

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Excellent!  Really well put together.  Thanks for sharing!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Just limit arrow speed to less than 200 fps and let them have their lighted nocks.  The bottom line in the whole situation is that there are just too darn many hunters wanting to hunt and the state is too willing to sell licenses for the revenue.  

The video was very well done.  I am not sure that they have identified the correct problem though.
Brad Lehmann

Offline rufus_d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
I admire the effort. Here in Wis the cubic money won out. Most of the compound shooters are moving to crossguns. I tire of the whatever it takes attitude. Every year there is a new gadget to make you more "successful" I applaud you.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
Remember, lighted nocks don't turn on until after the shot.  They have nothing to do with the kill rate but are intended as a device to aid in finding game or arrows that have been shot.  Banning them just because they are "Electronic" is not going to keep any animals alive.  Maybe a better example would have been using lighted fiber optics on bow sights to extend the hunt until nearly dark.
Brad Lehmann

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
I commend you for keeping up the good fight.  

We are losing here in Minnesota.  Used to be one could only use a crossbow if they had a Doctor verified disability.  Now if you're 60 years old, you can use one...that was step one for the crossbow guys to get their foot in the door.  I know this is a bow website, but another example is scopes on muzzleloaders.  Used to be able to use one with a verified medical condition, now, like crossbows, an older person is just assumed to have issues that preclude them from using more traditional gear...again...the foot in the door.

I always ask these "anything goes" guys one question: "If there was a hunter pill available on the market that would make you invisible, odor and sound free, would you take it?"  If they say "No" then the next question is..."then what is the limit of our technology?"  If they say "yes" one might as well not even continue the conversation.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
In many states like here in Louisiana, regulations are put into law by the state legislature and not by the wildlife and fisheries department. Large sums of money are spent on lobbyists by the manufacturers of the "high tech" equipment such as crossbows and when their efforts are aided by other groups like the N.R.A. there is a very good chance that they will be successful in getting their legislation passed.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »
I'd be curious to see some stats on how much hunter success rates have increased, or are we just killing more animals due to higher wildlife populations?

But seriously when is enough going to be enough... Some of this stuff is getting a bit out of hand, my biggest problem isn't with electronics, it's with the crossbow.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
In Wisconsin, crunching the most recent numbers they gave out, it appears ( I am no mathematician) that the crossbow "success rate" now exceeds that of the gun success rate.

They are currently looking at the airgun here.  It is being"pushed" or at least introduced by the industry and a well known "hunter" from TV land.

The stats that I read on airguns is that it is lighter, smaller, easier to carry, easier to use, easier to use multiple times, WAY faster and every bit as accurate as the crossbow.

Go back and read my first paragraph.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Great video. Hopefully this will open up a few eyes.

I really wish the Michigan would limit the use of crossbows during bow season. When I started trad, I hardly knew anyone who shot recurves or longbows, everyone used compounds. Now I hardly know anybody who shoots compounds, they all shoot crossbows. When I ask why, they all tell me that it's because it is easier to hunt with x-bows. I really don't get why someone would want to take the challenge out of bowhunting.

I know that x-bow talk isn't appreciated, but I figured that I would just say what I wish would be done with them. If someone has a disability, or is either to old or young to pull a bow with a hunting draw weight, let them use one. Otherwise their is no reason that I see to allow anyone to hunt with one.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
May I post this video on my traditional bowhunting podcast? I have been talking about how technology will lead to shorter seasons for a long time. There are alot of people that need to see this and I would like to help spread the word.
Let me know if I can share it and to whom I give credit to.
Thanks!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Excellent video.  Here in West Virginia it used to be that you needed a signed affidavit from your physician that you had a medical condition that made shooting a conventional bow impossible.  But the industry finally won.  Now anybody can use a crossbow and guys are tossing their compound devices and grabbing them up because it is "easier". The interesting thing is that they are not included in archery season--get this--they created a crossbow season. It just happens to run exactly concurrently with the archery season. Then they come out with a regulation that you cannot substitute a bow for a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season--but you can substitute a crossbow. So I guess crossbows are not bows after all!  

I saw the video of Jim Shockey shooting a bison with the airbow.  That is the next thing coming down the pike and I fear industry and all its money may win that one as well.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
It's all about money money money.  That's it and as long as groups like the NRA keep supporting xbows and now air bows we will lose more and more every year. It's sad but that's the way my generation wants it. Money talks. I don't believe any state DNR wants what's best for bow hunters. As long as they sell licenses it doesn't matter. Look at MI you can buy a gag for a 5 yr old kid to shoot a whitetail with a gun during the youth season. They are crooks....and they're robbing our kids of what hunting is really about.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©