3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maddog prairie predator  (Read 2351 times)

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Maddog prairie predator
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
I've been looking at getting a longbow and was wondering who on here has a maddog prairie predator?  They look to be very reasonably priced for a brand new bow.  Any reviews or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maddog prairie predator
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Awsome bows. I have 9 or 10 of them. Great shooting bows. I have another on order now.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
I've had them great bow, best bow for the money u will find hands down.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »

He even does a takedown version

And they work real well !!

Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
I received one three days ago, and have launched perhaps 15 arrows with it.  I requested a 45# bow and it is marked 46#- so pretty close.  I also requested a recurve type grip with thumb swell- this was done and fits my hand well.  The bow was noisy as heck.  I measured the brace height and it was 6".  I twisted the string and at 6 7/8" brace height the noise was much reduced.  Appearance wise, it looks pretty simple- no bells and whistles.  The limb cores are tapered.  Performance wise,the bow is a pleasure to shoot.  Speed seems substantial.  I was hitting the center of the target from the get go, so I guess you can say it looks like  a winner.  I have a Whip that is 9 pounds heavier- it looks just a little nicer and has just a little more in the finish.  I think I will like the Maddog just fine- just need to get more familiar with it.  How he can make such a good bow at the price is beyond me.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
I have a Predator and a Mountaineer. Great bows. The Predator is 42@28 and the Mountaineer is 49@28. Both sweet shooters.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Man, you guys are great salesmen!  I have a sneaking suspicion that I will have one ordered soon.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
I have 2, and both my boys have two. Great shooting bows that are accurate, fast, and smooth. My one main knock against them is the finish could be better... it at least should be good enough to stay on and so far that hasnt happened. I just went ahead and refinished them all. But listen, for the low price, what do you expect? I recommend you contact Mike to see what finish he uses, and when you get it and before you do anything else, shoot 4 or 5 more coats. Its simple and easy, and then there is no worries.  A can of Varethane water based spray is cheap. I love Mike to death, he is an outstanding person and bowyer.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
I have 2, and both my boys have two. Great shooting bows that are accurate, fast, and smooth. My one main knock against them is the finish could be better... it at least should be good enough to stay on and so far that hasnt happened. I just went ahead and refinished them all. But listen, for the low price, what do you expect? I recommend you contact Mike to see what finish he uses, and when you get it and before you do anything else, shoot 4 or 5 more coats. Its simple and easy, and then there is no worries.  A can of Varethane water based spray is cheap. I love Mike to death, he is an outstanding person and bowyer.
Huh, never had a problem w/ his finishes on the 20+ bows we have from him. I've even taken his bows overseas and never had a problem .
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I didn't know he offered a 3 piece, that is a sweet looking bow! I checked on his website and I couldn't find it on there.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by JMR:
I didn't know he offered a 3 piece, that is a sweet looking bow! I checked on his website and I couldn't find it on there.
It's not on his site. You have to ask him about it. I have had him make me three and have another on order now.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
The only custom I have ever bought was a Prarie Predator.  Made exactly as I discussed with Mike, even down to the poundage of #55@29".  Outstanding.  Mine is light, nimble and natural.  Quiet from the outset, and unbelievable zip on the 580gr arrows.  Can't say enough good about Mr. Mecredy or his work.  I'll have another on order before long.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Prairie Drifter:

Huh, never had a problem w/ his finishes on the 20+ bows we have from him. I've even taken his bows overseas and never had a problem . [/b]
If you check, you'll find out he changed his finishes. I dont think its as good as the older ones. I dont think its ever been a problem until more recent years.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
great bows, great price.  Mike will make it right if you have any issues. I too have experienced issues with the finish. contacted Mike, offered fix it if I wanted. however, easier for me to throw some tru oil on it.  I would buy another. Great Bows!
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Got two bows from him last year. No issues with the finish. Must have been lucky
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Like mine
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 06:03:00 AM »
I bought a kid one a few years back, with a green lam stripe in the riser.  super little bow.  For those fancier ones that I have seen posted, how much more do those cost?

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Can't wait to shoot my friends Prairie Predator when he gets it in a few weeks.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
For the guys that have a prairie predator, do any of you have any in the range of 54-56 inches?  I have a 28 inch draw and was wondering if I could get one that short and still be okay as far as finger pinch, stacking, or any other issues.  I shoot a 56" pch without issues, but just wanted to be sure before I ordered a longbow.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
I have pp's from 50" to 54". I draw 26". You could probably get away with the 56".
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©