3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow flight  (Read 950 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow flight
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
so i have my bareshafts flying well with 340 spine arrows and 200 grain heads, i shoot the fletched sometimes they shoot to left of barehaft which shows weak and it cant be with a 34 spine on a 54pound bow, the bareshaft is saying nock high can this be effecting my rrow flight causing it to go left?
aim small miss small

Re: arrow flight
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Are you left handed? Arrows grouping to the left for a right handed shooter could indicate a stiff arrow shaft.

Bisch

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
yes im right handed. i thought arrows grouping left of bareshafts is weak?
aim small miss small

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
Knock left would be weak, grouping left would be stiff.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
the chart online says weak shaft if fletched group left of bareshaft
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
what if the bareshaft is going straight then all of a sudden drops down
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
i also notice my last 2 inches of arrow wrap on the bottom of arrow is getting worn
aim small miss small

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Kyle, you been going in circles for a while on this. For a right handed shooter, nock left means weak( think arrow flies downrange nock left,the point will strike the target to the right of bullseye)  If you get nock right, that means stiff(arrow flies downrange nock right and point will strike to the left of bullseye) If your spine is way off you will or can get opposite readings. Think about this if you get your field tips hitting were you want them and your broadheads arrows are grouping to the right of the field tip arrows you may be weak in spine (cut arrow shorter or reduce BH weight) if BH are grouping to the left of field tip arrows you could be stiff (try heavier bh or heavier inserts or increase brace height on bow)  If you go to A&H the have O.L. Adcocks tuning method
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
What length arrow are you shooting?  Inserts?  Draw length? Fast flight or B50?  Shelf or elevated rest?  How much left are we talking about -- feet or inches?

Bareshaft dropping at last minute is probably nock high -- though it could bounce off the riser (nock low).  I usually tolerate some nock high as long as it's minimal.

I resolved to never make any assumptions until I have 3 consecutive days of consistent data and about 50 serious arrows downrange per day.  The overall trend will reveal itself over time.  But any individual day could be nothing more than statistical noise.  

Sometimes, it's not even worth messing with.  Yesterday, I noticed that my arrows were grouping right about 8-9" at 25 yards.  They flew perfectly and consistently (10" group -- good for me at that range with no clicker and opposite hand) but just off a bit.  This was a new combo of wood shafts from a selfbow and 30# limbs for my recurve.  Rather than mess with length, tip weight, etc., I just held the nock ever so slightly askew of my eye and it corrected right out.  Backed up to 30 yards & still on-target.  Problem solved.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I love seeing your posts....nothing like someone becoming a 'student of the game'.

Get it and growl sir!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
Tuning is a very good thing to do--- well worth the time and effort, however you first must develop solid repeatable form.  I've been reading your posts and think you would save yourself much frustration if you had someone that could properly analyze your form give you some feedback.  I know there are several gentlemen on this site including Arne Moe that are good at this and kind enough to watch video and give feedback.  Your tuning could be an indication of form issues, if so then no amount of tuning will tell you which arrow you need.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
im tuning based on impact, my fletched arrows are grouping to the left of bareshaft group this says weak online what could be causing my black and white tiger pattern wraps to wear on the bottom? i went back to paper and it showed stiff with the 200 grain head i went to a 250 grain and it seemed to cure the left and right problem, its just strange because i thought fletched arrows grouping left of bareshaft means weak on what im seeing online
aim small miss small

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Fletched arrows grouping left of bareshaft means your shafts are weak.

I prefer a slightly weak shaft over a stiff shaft personally.

When you add fletching to the arrow it stiffens them up and if you short draw or are tired a weaker shaft is more forgiving.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
Your wraps wearing on the bottom would indicate the arrow bouncing off the shelf. This could be a nock height issue, a release/finger pressure issue, or a combination of the two.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
now how come when i put heavier point on my arrow is not hitting left?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
also could the arrow hitting shelf caue left right issues?
aim small miss small

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I would isolate one issue and solve it, then move to the next. If your arrow is hitting the shelf, you need to solve that first. Good luck.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
does this mean to high usually?
aim small miss small

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Not always, raise nock height and if it gets worse you know you went wrong way. However you should have picked up the nock issue with the paper tune.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©