3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Southern Indiana Hunt (recap)  (Read 2154 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Southern Indiana Hunt (recap)
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Joe and I continued to hunt and scout and found some really nice trails and a saddle that will definitely see me some other time.  We got back to camp and found the others in the shelterhouse.

That's Billy in the background and Joe on the left with Dennis on the right.

That's Joe, Brent, and Dennis in front of the fireplace.  The dogs are being trained to track deer and Dennis was hoping to get them on a trail but we just didn't cooperate.  One funny thing happened when Dennis went to throw something in the dumpster and found this apparently intoxicated coon.
    He couldn't get out and basically just seemed annoyed at our interruption of his nap.  Aaron propped a stave in the dumpster and next time he checked, the coon had used it to climb out.  If he was prime, I'd have been tempted to get a quiver  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
A couple other folks stopped in Saturday afternoon for a while.  John Herron and Roland from Germany.  I forgot to include John French, catfishon, in the list earlier but he came back on Saturday also.  So as of Saturday, we had a bunch of Hoosiers, PA, NJ and Germany represented.  Next year I'm calling it the International Southern Indiana BowHunt.  We really didn't do any serious bowmaking.

Saturday evening I busted some ash and got up on top of one of the ridges and found this awesome saddle south of the campground.  It is a burn area and is thick with greenbriar.  It also separate the capground area from the some more remote land.  It has to be a hot spot later in the season especially when the orange army invades.  Late in the year, when other browse is gone, I bet the deer hit the greenbriar hard here.  Ihunted back down towards the campground from the saddle and found trails with scrapes and rubs.  This is another spot that will see me later.  One the way out I bumped into a couple compounders from Lawrenceburg who were hunting in the same general area.  I also got to meet the representative from PA, Fred.  He had seen a buck and a doe in the area Joe and I had hunted in the morning.

I was hanging around back at camp when catfish showed up with this buck he killed nearby.

Sweet.

Darren Shue, HackBow, called to let me know he'd be in at 2:30 in the morning and to have his air mattress set up in the Hotel Scifres so he could roll into bed for a couple hours sleep before our hunt on the private property I had hunted Friday night.

Darren got in right on time and barely even slept before our hunt.  We got in a little after light and I showed him a nice trail to sit while I climbed into my stand.

Around 9:30 a doe shows up behind me right in my shooting lane.  She looked up as I drew but the sun was right in her eyes so I don't think she could see me.  I shot as she looked back down and it was perfect except I forgot about a small branch I needed to duck slightly and it sent my shot 2" below her chest.  She blew out and I thought I was screwed for the morning but at 10:19, a small buck starts heading right into the scrape I was set up on.  He gets about 5 yards away and I shoot him right there.  A short dash and a crash and I was pretty sure I had him.  Darren came in 15 minutes later as arranged and we took up the trail.  It was pretty easy to see where he ran and we follwoed tracks.  The lack of blood made me a little nervous but the placement and half an arrow sticking out of him put my mind at rest.  I figured I hit his off shoulder which prevented an exit hole.  It wasn't long before Darren found some skid marks and then some obvious places where he fell.  Not 10 seconds later, Darren said "There he is".  He had crashed and started tumbling into this hollow before some greenbriar snagged his leg and planted his antler into the ground.  That made an already brutal drag at least a little easier.  Darren has all the good pics but here's one after we found him and  oved him to a tree to keep him from falling any further.  He had ran about 75 yards and tumbled another 40.
    The shot had entered a little high but had center-punched a rib and then passed through about 1/2" into the off side shoulder.

Thanks God Darren was there to help me drag.  Thanks bud!

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline catfishon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
john, glad to see you got one!i stoped back at camp sunday about 3:00 to set up a meeting time with you for monday. now i see what you were doing..good job!!! i can't wait till next year.
i think that statue marks the spot the coon hunter passed away. i heard he was a big guy and his dogs were on tree at the top of the hill. while climbing the hill his heart gave out. i would have to say he was a lucky man to die outdoors doing what he loved.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
After the drag, the check-in, lunch and a visit with the property owner I talked about earlier, it was pretty late before we got back to camp.  When we did, we found one of my best friends in the world, Kenny Ratliff, from KY there at camp.  He had been there since morning waiting on us.  I felt bad about missing the time with him but he understood.  Everyone else except the PA/NJ boys had bailed.  Sorry I didn't get to say good bye to you all.

We visited with Kenny for a while and then got to boning out the deer.  With that job done we went to the grocery for some ice and butter to cook some tenderloins and backstraps for supper.  Darren and I got some quality time with the campfire that evening.  The next day found us back at the private property in the morning but only a beautiful sunrise showed from my stand.
  Darren's luck was about the same.

We headed back to town for a great lunch at a local eatery and then back to camp.  Our plan for the evening was to hunt some of the southern reaches of the forest.  It was more of a scouting trip than anything but we did luck into a deer sighting.  Here's Darren as it happens.

The deer ended up skirting our location before offering a shot but it was exciting nonetheless.  We also got into some coyotes and set up with a rabbit screamer for a while to no avail.  As dark was settling, we decided we better get back down the ridge and stump shot our way down to the creek that lead to the lake we had parked on.  One thing I learned about stump shooting in the dark, you better still pay attention to the direction of travel while seeking out the next shot.  Darren and I would pick a spot with the flashlight and then turn it off for instinctive shots in the dark.  It was fun and enlightening but eventually, we checked our compasses and found that we had missed a downstream turn and walked a half mile up the creek instead of down it while we were distracted with the shooting fun  :)   We weren't lost, just farther away from the truck.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
A stop for supper and some more quality campfire time and we needed some rest.  We decided not ot hunt in the morning and just relax and break camp before heading home.  We slept until about 8:30.

Here's some camp photos.

Finally the time to say Goodbye had come and we saddled up for the short (mine) and long (Darren's) trips home.  

This was a great trip.  I will do it again next year but this time I am going to take a suggestion of Darren's to have a big feed on Saturday evening so we can all be together at one time.  I missed a couple folks including 702plmo.  Sorry.  Next time we'll have a little more organized bowbuilding time too.

Thanks to all those who came!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
What a successful first hunt - good job with the planning John and nice shot!  Hope I can join in the fun next year.  Glad to see Darren with his bow - that boy needs to go hunting more often!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Dang I forgot all about Preacher Jonathon showing up Monday.  He's from Clarksville and goes by "twigflicker" here on the TG.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Jeff.....you got that right. Life's getting' a little easier and it looks like I *MAY* be able to call myself a bowhunter sometime soon. I think you have to hunt more than 3 days a year to qualify! I hope you can fit this on your calendar next year as well, Jeff. Maybe you and Daniel can make it a combo trip with your Cinci area hunt.

John's right about some good pics, but I got home in time to kiss the family, catch a couple hours shuteye, and hit the airport at 5:30 this morning for a biz trip. I had to find a Panera Bread for lunch so I could use their Wi-Fi. I'll be home Thursday night and get the pictures downloaded and posted (it may be Friday morning!).

Thanks to John for organizing this hunt, taking care of most of my camping needs and being an all around great friend and brother. I got to meet the Pete & Jerry? from Jersey along with Fred from NE PA. They said they really liked the area and would like to make it back. It was also a treat to meet Jon Talbot and to see Kenny again. Sorry I didn't make it in time to see most of you, but I did hear Nighthawk snoring a good bit.     :D

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Oh Man! I gotta do this with you guys one of these years!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Tom...talk is cheap  :)   We didn't have anyone from west of Indiana.  No one seems to be willing to leave Illinois or Iowa during late October to come to IN to deer hunt.  Why is that?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Congrats John on your harvest but I notice you and Darren have gone a little high tech with your equipment..whatsupwiddat?..5 yards? That selfbow range brother!

Darren you can't kill a deer dressed like that! How in the hell is Bill Jerdan gonna lease up all those fancy ranches?

Ok I'm not going to Wisconsin next year, maybe I'll be able to make it to Indiana for a couple of days. Sure thought about you guys that week.

Guess that's the only way I'm gonna get to see Darren again.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Yep, I'm with ya Mickey. I haven't seen that fella in nigh-on 3 years now. All my vacation time is spoken for this year, but I'll get another 4 weeks next August! It's good to see Darren using a real quiver these days too. He must be making too much money. I'll stop saving cardboard tubes and PVC pipe, and string.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks Mickey.  Looks like you all had fun up in the land of cheeses.  Come on out any time.  It is really a cool place with a nice campground close to town.  The country is unlike anything I thought I'd find in Indiana.  The place we hunted the last evening looks like hardly anyone gets up there.  I know why after the hike in  :)

Darren and I are thinking of doing a late season hunt somewhere in mid Ohio for bunnies or whatever instead of our annual New Year's hunt.  Got any suggestions?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Well there is a big park just north of Columbus, but if I were you I'd email Dean. he knows where every rabbit is in that part of the state.

Wisconsin was fun, but always feels good to come home to the midwest. Wish Georges cabin was on a lake in Indiana backed up to state land   ;)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
As the last group left in the park, all i can say is the trip was great.  Great group of guys and nice to meet some of the people on the website.  As this was our first time to Indiana the land was beautiful and there were no shortage of deer (they just werent very cooperative).  The last night for us (monday night) provided a tempature drop and a rise in deer movement, as there was some sucess with rattling and calling but as is part of the game, ran out of light...All in all great trip, great place, even better people and i know were all looking foward to doing it again next year.
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Hey guys this was a great hunt and alot of fun.
Got to meet new friends and get reaquainted with some old ones    :)  

John,

I think, Darren has a good idea about having a Saturday night pitch-in. I'd also like to propose that we do some kind of event t-shirt.

Darren,

I wasn't snorin (err, uhh )I was practicing with my new buck call (uhh )yea, that's it my  new buck call    :bigsmyl:
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
I'd had this on the calendar since John advertised it way back at the first of the year... Family and work commitments got in the way... but I'd taken some time off early in the week and was hunting about an hour away...

Dropped in on John and Darren on Monday following lunch... Really enjoyed the time spent with them although way to short... they must have had some mojo rub off on me...

I'd planned to hunt with a friend in Salem and killed a doe that evening down there...  Much easier drag than you guys had with John's deer... She fell only about 200 yards from the truck...  Sorry no pics... digital camera in the duffle bag in Mitchell and I had to get home to take care of her and the camera's at home had no batteries...

I plan on making this hunt one way or another next year...

Thanks for making me feel so welcome...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline catfishon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
anyone know how to get in touch with roland the german guy??? i would like to visit his shop and see some more of his leather work.
                              thanks john

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
pcappy- you're holdin out on the trails and terrain you scouted.
you gotta tell the one about the buck bed you got into. or the one about seeing town from the top.....or..or
glad to have met you guys and hope to meet more next year.
and i 2d the t-shirt idea
p.s.  a 'meat' and greet would be fun too!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Hello everyone.   I stopped by the Southern Indiana hunt  on Sunday afternoon and got to meet some fellow tradgangers.   It was nice to meet some fellow TraGangers.   Maybe next year I can join in on the fun.

A pic of Joe(NightHawk) with Hope.

A pic of me with hpoe.  She sure was a nice shooting bow.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©