3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: deep hook  (Read 759 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
deep hook
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
im trying the deep hook my wrist was breaking to much before and was causeing string torque, should this feel weird until i get used to it? in order to get my fingers going back towards me it feels like there is alot of tension in the fingers and wrist?
aim small miss small

Re: deep hook
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
I am not sure everyone does it the same, but my wrist remains fairly straight, my fingers start out pointing back and stretch more to an open 90 degree angle as I draw.   That awkward tension you feel could be torque against you or with in your hand and fingers.   I had a finger unhinge from the socket years back, and I also went through a time of when the tip segment of my index finger was getting a torque that was causing changes in that joint.   I quite often see a tendency of shooters turning a little bit palm down during the draw and coming away from a 90 draw finger placement to a quartering angle on the string.  that has to be putting some serious tension into the process.  Of course there is no way I can tell what you are doing,  I am just relating my own experiences with similar string hand problems.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
If there is tension in your fingers and wrist, you're not doing it correctly. Using a deep hook should relieve your fingers, wrist and forearm from any tension. That's the purpose. Your back should be doing most of the work.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Here are a few things I have discovered about the deep hook.
1. It is a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. The deep hook just hooks the string, and the less it changes during the draw the better it works.
2. I get a better release with a deep hook.
3. The deep hook keeps my wrist in alignment, and that leads to more consistent shooting.
4. The deep hook removes tension from my hand and forearm because I am not allowing adjustments in the hook during the draw if I truly set it and forget it.
5. One thing that leads to a shooting slump for me is not being disciplined about maintaining my deep hook.
6. The deep hook makes the draw weight of the bow feel a little lighter.
My 2 cents worth.....
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
the tension i get is from setting my fingers back towards my body, maybe because its a new position for me and fingers have to get used to being there?
aim small miss small

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Is your draw elbow getting high?

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
As a little test, if you draw  keeping the arrow down even with your shoulders and NOT up by your face, does the tension go away?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
its when i first hook the string in the ready position
aim small miss small

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
its when i first hook the string in the ready position
I am the same way, I can only turn my fingers back a little before my hand tenses up.  That is even setting here on the couch without a bow.  I am not sure if it is that we all define "tension" differently or some of us just built differently.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
1. It is a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. The deep hook just hooks the string, and the less it changes during the draw the better it works.
3. The deep hook keeps my wrist in alignment, and that leads to more consistent shooting.
4. The deep hook removes tension from my hand and forearm because I am not allowing adjustments in the hook during the draw if I truly set it and forget it.
5. One thing that leads to a shooting slump for me is not being disciplined about maintaining my deep hook.
My 2 cents worth.....
:thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
I really like the videos by Arne Moe on his site and UTube. He has one on the hook and string arm.  i think that one would really help you. Also, I just got Terry Green's DVD does a good job of showing it...

Dan

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
what dvd dan? bowhunters of tradgang?
aim small miss small

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
yes . thats it .  just got it last week for a great price.  Terry shows the shooting form really well and takes different shots to show how you can keep good form even in hunting situations.

Dan

Offline Gurge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
How deep is a "deep hook" my string usually rests about at my first knuckle during my draw. Thinking about it I believe my hand does kinda 1/4 off the string at about a 45. Is this wrong? Or should I work on keeping my knuckles parallel with the string?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
keep hand and wrist inline with the forearm i think we are getting alot of string torque from not having the deep hook
aim small miss small

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
X3

My 2 cents worth.....
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
You'll get more opinions than Tradgang has fingers and toes.  From what I've seen (and done), the vast majority of traditional archers draw with their fingertips.

Kisik Lee knows a thing or two about archery.  To quote him "If viewed from directly in front of the archer, the fingernails should be almost invisible - the fingernails of the top two fingers should point at the archers throat, not out to the side".  Look at the picture on page 3 of the link below.

Look  here  for info on finger placement and hooking.

Also, look at page 8.  The wrist is not straight.  

No, these guys don't hunt.  They shoot targets at very long distances very accurately.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Here is a good pick of Ksl system of string placement, scroll to #3.

http://www.kslinternationalarchery.com/Technique/KSLShotCycle/KSLShotCycle-USA.html
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
My 2 cents worth.....
Now there's some good advice!  Think I'll have that framed...
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©